Practical Mag-Charger mods

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Typically for the internet, there is so much information regarding Mag-Charger mods that it is almost impossible for a newcomer to the field to absorb it all. I'll turn to the collective wisdom here and see if I can turn up some answers ;)

I'm curious to know what practical mods can be made to a Mag-Charger to increase output/throw without changing its factory charging method. The use for it will be to sit in my patrol car until I need a light with a ton of throw. I like that it can simply reside on the charger on trickle charge mode until needed, used, then dropped back on the charger until needed again. I don't need a light that I need to be concerned about over or under charging, or a complicated bank of batteries that requires dissassembly of the light to put them in a rack charger.

I handled a buddy of mines Mag-Charger and liked how it could complement the S/F 9AN on my belt, but want MORE throw. The MAG85 seems interesting, but looking at the pictures, it appears to be a modded Mag-Light, not a Mag Charger.

So what can I do to soup-up a Mag-Charger without breaking the bank or disrupting its rock-hammer simplicity too much?

-Lawhund

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Quick and Dirty.

Get a WA01160 (someone else will chime in where to look).

Get some Armour Etch cream from Hobby Lobby. Apply for about 30 seconds at a time (rinsing thouroughly) until light to medium frosting appears.

Install same in stock MC. I'd say 25-40% brighter. And still good/great throw but without the damn rings and swirls.

Actually, if you get the unfrosted WA01160 centered perfectly, you may prefer that to frosting. But I adore the better beam frosting gives!

CLHC

Flashaholic

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJS 30 seconds? Try about 45 minites! I have done SEVERAL hundred WA bulbs. They are made of very hard glass. It does work well with the FM reflector and heat shield made of reflective tape placed under bulb so socket will not melt.:drool:

Litho123 may have some frosted WA01160 bulbs left ( I frosted them for him)

PS neat trick- If you do not have the refective tape under the bulb, just DO NOT quite push it in all the way (Leave a SMALL airgap) Socket will not melt then from 1160 heat. The stock reflector is OK too if you do NOT leave the light on for long periods of 5 minites or more. But the FM unit is better. Good Luck!:grin2:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't frost the bulb, you'll get greater throw since there's not frosting to blick the light. BUT it will be like the stock bulb and have the rings and dark spots typical of all Maglights.

The other thing to do is search for some higher capacity batteries, especially if you do get a couple WA1160 bulbs. Those will drop your runtime a lot. Higher capacity batteries will bring the runtime back up, or with the stock bulb, increase it a lot. Depends on the capacity of the batteries of course.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unicorn said:
If you don't frost the bulb, you'll get greater throw since there's not frosting to blick the light. BUT it will be like the stock bulb and have the rings and dark spots typical of all Maglights.

The other thing to do is search for some higher capacity batteries, especially if you do get a couple WA1160 bulbs. Those will drop your runtime a lot. Higher capacity batteries will bring the runtime back up, or with the stock bulb, increase it a lot. Depends on the capacity of the batteries of course.

I have been lightly frosting the bulb around the center leaving the top end clear. I frost so lightly one would think it would have no effect, but it does clean up the beam with almost no noticable loss of throw. 25 minutes with Armour Etch.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm sorry NT! I was thinking 30 seconds at a time for many PR bulbs.

You are correct that it takes a LOT longer with WA bulbs.

The 1160 in my MC is lightly frosted and makes a WAY nicer beam!

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Unicorn said:

Do you have a suggestion for those higher capacity batteries? Most of the searches I've tried in Google just turn up spare factory spec batteries for the mag-charger...

-Lawhund

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) WA 1160 bulb
2) FiveMega's MC metal reflector
3) FiveMega's ceramic bi-pin slug
4) 4,000mAh NiMH batter pack (almost twice the runtime)

wayne21

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know where to buy wa1160 bulbs,wa1111 bulbs, but most of all is that I want to fix my rechargeable maglite for maxinum throw,and possable a more powerfull bulb. I have seen Fivemega's parts for the rechargeable maglite before, but do not know how to find it. I read that fivemega makes a 2.5 throwmaster head withan all aluminum head and reflector for the mag-charge lite. I wish to find all the info I can on this mod, and to be able to use my stock charger.I have battery packs 3500 Mah Nimh,.which are better then the originals. If five mega gets in touch with me in a couple months I will have the funds by then to buy everything to fix my flashlight up . I know Fivemega makes the best flashlights,and mod parts on the market today.I am saving to buy all the parts at one time. and by march i will be in the position to do so.. living on a fixed income is why it takes me time,If I was still working I would order everything tonight. any help on where to get a few bulbs for the time being, for the ROP mod will be of great help. I thank all of you who have helped in the past. wayne 21

Last edited:

casimirrx

Newly Enlightened
I believe Litho123 has 01160-U (formerly WA01160) bulbs available. I just ordered some from him today.