If you could uproot and move, where would you make your new home?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I ask is I'm contemplating leaving the SF bay area and finding a new place to live, and I want some input from my CPF friends.:)

marxs

Enlightened
if i had the finances and the time id move to somewhere in europe, love the culture and the history.

[edit] btw, did you mean to anywhere in the world or just sticking to the same continent?

mark

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have uprooted so many times..
I have always had a preference for Georgia/Tennessee, the climate there seems to best suited for year round comfort.
Upper Michigan is absolutely stunning in the summer, then of course comes the bitter winter.
I think ideally I would need two homes.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
marxs said:
btw, did you mean to anywhere in the world or just sticking to the same continent?

mark
I don't think I'll be moving abroad, but really I'd like to hear opinions about anyplace someone has discovered and felt it was a place they'd like to live.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's pretty nice here in the "Southern part of Heaven", as it's sometimes called. Gets a bit hot and sticky this time of year, though. Definitely nice having mountains and beach just three hours in either direction.

Geoff

ohiocopper

Newly Enlightened
Heya Lowbat!

I am from Salinas and Monterey, I live in S.W. Ohio 25 miles from Dayton and 20 miles from Cinci.
The central coast of Cali is as you know, a very pricey place to live.
My hometown of Salinas for example is up to its ears in gang violence, it is insane there, however, it is rated as one of the most overvalued citys in the states, by a margin of 75%.

I moved to Ohio and found that the price of living is way low, the crime is way low.
A typical 250.000-300.000 home in the bay area will sell for about half that price out here.
I live in a newer home, 4 bed 2 bath, full basement, 2 car garage. 2800 sq foot not counting basement.
$165.000
Back home.....$300.000 plus!

Our home borders a nice plot of woods, lots of deer, back home it would border about 90 other homes.

Ohio is a great place to live!

I will admit the summers are hot and humid and some winters can be brutal, but if you can deal with that, I would say become a buckeye!

Plus THE Ohio state Buckeyes rock!

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
after living right outsid eof Boston my whole life, somewhere calm and quiet would be nice!! (not to mention some gang-less woods to play flashlights!)

My job changed and I lived in Temple Texas last year for a few months last year. It was fun but I must say, very very boring. not as if that's bad (hence why i'd go) I know i'd be bored but it is a much better place to raise a kid or somehting...

BillCurnow

Newly Enlightened
In no particular order:

o Key West, Florida
o St Hilary, Cornwall
o Hong Kong
o Lewisburg, PA
o Sugar Grove, OH

dragoman

Enlightened
Wyoming, preferably the Eastern part near Cheyenne or Torrington, without a doubt.

dragoman

nethiker

Enlightened
I was born and raised in the Bay Area. It's a great place, but became too crowded, too busy, too competative. As an unencumbered chef, I was free to go anywhere in the world. I seriously considered Costa Rica and Hawaii. Looking back, that would have been a fun adventure, but I know those were not the places for me to settle down and raise a family.

I discovered Montana on my first hunting trip. It's certainly not for everyone, especially those who crave the dynamic diversity of a busy metropolitain area, but it was just what I needed. Ironicly, I was lonely in the Bay Area. I worked all the time to afford my lifestyle at the expense of a life. After moving to Montana, I had time to cultivate friendships while having fun socially. I met my wife and now have a wonderful family which I am priveledged to be able to be home and care for. I could never have done that in the Bay Area where we both would have to be working to afford a home.

There are many wonderful places that are affordable enough to do what I have in Montana. Not many however where you can live on a river, leave the doors unlocked and where everyone's friendly. The drawbacks are lack of diversity, limited cultural opportunities, and it's tough to make a living. Way back when, I made a choice. I could either work hard for the man, make lots of money and vacation anywhere in the world for four weeks out of the year or I could live anywhere in the world and screw the money.

I have no regrets.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alaska, without a doubt but only 1/2 the year, The warmer half. Have not decided where to be the other 1/2. I do like winter, just not in Alaska.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it in upstate NY -- and I love all four seasons with the exception of the two weeks or so a year when it's not unusual to see the temp go as low as -15 or more and waist deep snow, and the taxes suck!. I grew up here and my wife wants to go south soon, but not me. I like seeing the trees change, camping when it's in the 70's or 80's, white Christmas, and seeing stuff turn green in the Spring. Close to Canada (T.O. and Niagra Falls within a bit more than an hour or two) and not too far from mountains, wineries, Watkins Glen, Cooperstown, or even Montreal, Quebec (like going to Yerrup with only a few hours drive). Horse farm across the road, corn field in back, and the tallest building around for the next 20 miles is about 6 stories tall. Pretty much got it all within reach.

Now, when I grow up (and I am still only 52) I'd like to have a home on Islay in Scotland. That might have a little to do with countryside and the sea, but probably a bit more to do with the seven distilleries on the island.

Martin

Enlightened
Bangkok !
It's one of the smaller capitals in the area. Many parts are pretty much like a village. And it has an island in the middle of the river. BKK is not that big that you can't get out to places like Kanchanaburi or Khao Yai for the weekend - with your own car. The people are wonderful in a way that you're gonna meet a good selection of westerners, many managers and their families. Being foreigners, they stick together much more unlike at home. Safer than most other places in the world and stable politics. Weather is warm 24/7/365. You have to adjust a little to the conditions there, but doesn't mean you can't have a beergarden, excellent healthcare, a real German plumber or baker, ice skating. And you can get a well-paid job. All the big guys have offices and plants, a 5 day week is not uncommon.
If it's getting boring, take a weekend trip to Cambodia. That's less than 2h by air and no hassle at the airport unlike US.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am biased because I live there but Townsville, North Quennsland, Australia.

Tropical climate between 15degC - 35degC.

Sunny days almost 300 out of 365.

Easy acces to the Great Barrier Reef.

Wide range of housing From $3 million dollar seaveiw places to $150,000 low cost housing. (plenty to choose from)

And i,ve never been bitten by a Croc!!:grin2:

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Have lived in Michigan all my life. I love the winters and summer both. Most don't like the winters. For many of the reasons listed, low cost of living, acreage available, rivers and lakes all around you, friendly people, low crime rate (where I live in Michigan). But, after I retire, or semi-retire, we will probably move, at least part of the year to Orlando. We also love MouseLand! Key West would be fantastic, but I can't afford that!

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every place I can think of is right next to an ocean.

A friend moved to Puerto Rico. The pictures he sends make me want to hop on the next plane.

I lived in St. Pete for awhile, right on Tampa Bay. It was probably the most peaceful I've ever felt. I even enjoyed seeing the occasional alligator walking up the street.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are very fortunate to be able to live anywhere we choose and this (South Texas) is where we are. Deep summers (like now) are uncomfortable but not unbearable.

Having the best of both worlds -- when my wife retires in a couple of years, we'll share time between here and Nisswa, MN.