Golston light with two 3,6 V rechargeables.

Entenfahrer1

Newly Enlightened
Hi there.
I´m just wondering if I could use two protected rechargeables in this light or if this would be too much? Has anyone some experiences so far?
Marco

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can, conditionally. If it says 2x 3.6 volt written on a sticker on the side it is specifically built for that purpose, see example in this picture:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/golstonreg-2xlir123a-waterproof-rechargeable-recommended-p-409.html
Otherwise it will depend on the resistor inside. I have had some that were built for the 3.6 rechargeable and did not have this sticker. Look at this thread, it will help you understand the evolution of this light:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103057
The Golston variations have also been made to only run on 3.0 volt primary and rechargeable batteries. If you cannot tell you will usually be safe in either way if you use 3.0 volt protected rechargeables. However, I had some of the early Golstons that had resistors too low for the initial voltage off a freshly charged 3.0 V protected. Those had 1 Ohm resistors. Now I think you will find the resistors at about 3.9 Ohms. Check the above thread for the exact figures.

Last edited:

Entenfahrer1

Newly Enlightened
What I´m also interested in is how long this light last on rechargeables either 3,0 or 3,7 V.
Marco

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Entenfahrer1 said:
What I´m also interested in is how long this light last on rechargeables either 3,0 or 3,7 V.
Marco

I have place a few of these into the hands of law enforcement officers and my lights and their reports with th 3.6 unprotected battery listed in my post do get one hour full brightness, second hour very bright, almost full brightness, hour three -four it is dimming but usefull. You must make sure they have been on the charger for some time after the DSD gets the green light. DSD does not always bring the batteries up to 4.2 volts fresh off, but when you use a long charged battery typically this is what we get.