Any suggestions for a "Florida Hurricane Kit" light?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tasked with making recommendations for "emergency kit" flashlight(s) for someone living in Florida. Lithium batteries are a given - waterproof would be nice - and a modest price would enable the placement of multiple units within the domocile. Any suggestions?

rycen

Enlightened
May I suggest UK2L 26 bucks from brightguy.
1.lithium powered
2. 3-5 hour runtime
3. waterproof
4. bright
smile.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I would suggest something that will give you the option of an "extended run-time," if wanted...
I know the eternalight is expensive...but if you are in a situation where light might be needed for more than a couple of hours...

Plus, the night beacon feature in the elite and elite x-ray could be really useful...

If you want to spend less than this, how about a simple Turtle light II? or you can even get a regular flashlight (Mag?), load it with lithiums, and by a led drop-in replacement pr-based bulb...

If you don't want to go with leds, you can get a Princeton Tec 40 and load it with lithiums...bright and long storage life.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at options for a similar emergency kit in case of earthquake here in Tokyo. See the topic I started earlier:

Topic

Various suggestions were made then.
I'd agree that the UK 2L is a good choice, but some people may prefer to avoid lights which use cells that are less commonly available.
The UK Mini Q40 was also suggested, being very bright, water proof, with good run time, and uses AA cells.
My strategy is to pair a good, bright incandescent light with a lower powered, small LED based light which has a very long runtime. The CMG Infinity fits quite well - it isn't too bright, but has a great runtime (40 hours or so), is small and rugged, not too expensive, and can use lithium cells.

Graham

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a PAL Light, with a 9v lithium??
Always on for 2 years. Strobe if needed. Just an idea.

Blades

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What is that LED light that runs 35 days on one set of cells?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alex cooper:
What is that LED light that runs 35 days on one set of cells?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would probably be the Lightwave 4000, at least if you believe the adds. My suggestion would be a Tec 40, with an incendesent lamp that doesn't draw to much current but still puts out a decent light. As a backup, you have an Infinity , a dummy battery and a LED with a PR base. When you need the bright light, you have it as long as the batteries hold up. If you find it's going to be a long, drugout situation, take out one of the AA batteries for the Infinity, put the dummy & the LED in the Tec 40 to get all the available current out of the batteries. TX

bkral

Newly Enlightened
My recommendation for this sort of thing is the Princeton-tec Matrix. First, and most important, it's a headlamp - not only does this alow you to have both hands free, but it puts the light right where you need it for reading or close work. Second, it runs on 2 AAs, which are about the most common batteries around, and which gives the option of starting with lithiums if the light is going to sit for a while. The led module is not driven very hard (about as bright as a Photon w/new batteries) but P-T claims 100hrs per set of lithium AAs, and it more or less holds its brightness rather than slowly dimming like my Tikka (at least as far as I've seen, I have never run the Matrix to failure). As an incandescent you can use standard PR-based lamps, the most common flashlight lamp anywhere, and can upgrade to krypton/xenon/halogen as you wish. And finally, the thing is waterproof, the head angle is adjustable, and the incandescent module has a faceted reflector for a more even beam (about like an E1).

-BCK

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Matrix looks quite good. Any idea if its as waterproof as the rest of the PT range? It doesn't say what the depth rating is on the site (that I can see..)

That it comes with both incandescent and LED modules is pretty cool..

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

well it's not lithium, but a 3 D Mag with a 3 LED cluster pr type bulb...maybe a single LED pr bulb too, for even longer run time..(if only you could turn those D's into lithiums...)

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
well it's not lithium, but a 3 D Mag with a 3 LED cluster pr type bulb...maybe a single LED pr bulb too, for even longer run time..(if only you could turn those D's into lithiums...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you can buy D lithiums from HDS Systems (the Action Light guys), but has anyone ever tried using them before in a more modest 3-8 LED light system?

MarcV

Enlightened
If the disaster kit were for myself, I would include at least one Palight with 9v lithium.

I'd disable the battery connection and leave clear instructions on how to enable the light.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion does not exist. An Arc-LS in a kit with battery backs for AA, 123, C, and D. You have your lithium, you also can use any loose batteries around the house and use them up. You can also pull batteries other items around the house thats not needed and use them as well. When that supply is gone, you have the batteries that were stored in the battery packs (these battery packs have lids), leave the Lithium 123 for last. When you are down to that, its time to go hunting for more batteries but almost anything will do. If you want to make your light kit more complete, throw in a PAL and an Arc-AAA and if you want to be real ambitious, a 6 volt light. Then if you happen to use up your stock of batteries pulled from drawers and other items, almost any battery you find can be utilized. My humble opinion on the subject.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason for me discovering CPF was because of a severe flood that we had in Houston, in the Spring of 2001. Back then, I I really liked flashlights but was not yet a "flashaholic". I would go to Wal-Mart or any sports store, and would often find myself looking at the flashlights.

One light that really impressed me was the Energizer Arc White light http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=1&id=2

I will tell you the dis-advantages of this light first:

The incandesent light is horrible (I have replaced mine with a PR LED light).
The casing can be scratched easily and the overall feel is "cheap".

HOWEVER, the Flourescent Light is WONDERFUL!

I had to clean my office out in total darkness, and this little light was my only light, and it worked out very nicely. Great as an area light, and a 7 - 10 hour burn time.

I really like putting the LED bulb in the light. Of course it is dimmer, but it has a 200 hour run time (I use the PR bulb out of a Dorcy LED light) http://www.dorcy.com/images/Dorcy%20Images/New%20Technology/41-2498.jpg

It was very nice walking around in total darkness with the Arc White Flourescent light on. It gave a gentle, yet even light, and gave almost 180 degree light. No beam, no hot spot, but a gentle light all around you.

Even with all the negatives, I own three of them.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
I believe you can buy D lithiums from HDS Systems (the Action Light guys), but has anyone ever tried using them before in a more modest 3-8 LED light system?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah but, those D cells are 3 volts..

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to maybe consider is the old standard Mag Lite. While not known for being a very bright light or a light that has a quality beam, it DOES have some advantages:
- Low cost
- Very well built
- Shock mounted bulb
- Metal collar on bulb to prevent it from falling out
- Standard extra bulb
- Long run time.
- Available anywhere

The thing that I do not like about any round flashlight, is that it rolls too easily.

During the flood in Houston, my instutiton (a Hospital) where I work lost all power. I mean ALL power, all emergency power, everything. I had only a mag (actually 3) a 8-AA cell Energizer double barrell, and an Energizer Arc White light.

After a couple of days, the power was still out, but they did restore the power to one elevator, but the "buttons" did not work. I had to bang on the elevator door in order for the dedicated elevator operator to hear me. When I did this with the Energizer bi-pin bulb 8 aa-cell flashlight, the bulb fell out. The Mag-Lite took it like a champaion.

Also, I DID have a bulb blow out when I was on the 25 floor, and had to replace the bulb (luckly I had more than one light). It was a snap to find the standard spare bulb in the mag-light and replace it.

Not saying that it is a perfect light, but it DID hold up well during very heavy useage.

I don't know what your requirements are for the hurricane emergency kit, but I think in general, I would think that 3 lights would be appropiate:
- Long Life LED Light
- Area Light
- High Intensity Light

I would pick the Surge as the High Intensity light, The Arc White as the area light, and an LED light as the long life light, or change the bulb to a pr based LED light in the Arc White.

In the Flourecent mode, the Arc White has a 7-10 hour run time.

Yes you could spend more, and if you were developing this for one family, you could put whatever you wanted to in this kit. If you were going to build hundreds of kits, cost would become a factor.

Let us know what you decide on.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
B-TX,
Not to get off topic, but that was one hell-a-va rain we had here, wasn't it. What hospital are you related with? I think Herman & St Lukes got it worst, but everyone downtown got it bad. I live pretty far south in Houston & couldn't believe it when I turned on the TV Sat. AM & saw pictures of all the flooding. From my understanding, a lot of battery power was necessary. I recently bought a 3D Maglight & a 4.5V 3LED PR bulb. Puts out a lot of light & is super tough. Sure is large & heavy though. One of these days I'll have to try a runtime test with it. TX

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, but this rain was different. It was Sat morning. Raining outside, so I didn't make any plans on going out. Just seemed like a typical rainy day. Then I turned on the TV. On every local chanel (6) is the flooding downtown. If it hadn't been for TV coverage, I would have known nothing of the flooding taking place 5 miles away. We're not talking 4 or 5 feet. We're talking tractor-trailor rigs sitting on top of cars; Water over the roof tops. Having it happen is one thing. But not being aware of it 5 miles away except for TV coverage is another. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I took similar approach to a calamity light kit, following a 3 light plan similar to the one above (area/high intensity/LED).

1 Princeton Tec LED ATTITUDE 4 AAA (@$17) LED
1 Princeton Tec RAGE 4 AAA (@$11)-optional
1 Princeton Tec SURGE 8 AA (@$24) H.I.
1 Eveready LED 'lantern' 4 AA (@$9) LED/Area
1 Solar battery charger (@$15)

Per Bright Guy, the Attitude and Rage use the same body and innards, have different heads, you could cannibalize parts in a pinch. I already had a couple of RAGE's in the camping gear, one went into this allocation, but may migrate back to the camping gear.
The Attitude and lantern should both run for ~ 120 hours with a fresh load of batteries, the 'more or less' hi intensity Rage will go for several hours. The 'real' Hi Intensity SURGE will have the highest requirements, I'll reserve it accordingly. Since we can't rely on buying fresh batteries during a calamity for a week or 2, and the power will probably be off, I plan to recharge/top off batteries any time the sun shines using the solar charger.