minimag LED 2AA-3AA

I just bought the 2AA also, i have yet to pick up the 3AA. the 2AA seems plenty bright, but I hear the 3AA is slightly brighter and runs a little longer.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
but I hear the 3AA is slightly brighter and runs a little longer.

2AA - 4.5 hours, then OFF. No moon mode
3AA - I am going on 22 hours now, Its not very bright, but i can use it to walk around my dark house, or read some paper. Plus, its brighter for longer then the AA. Much better

lumenal

Enlightened
I bought both the 2AA and 3AA Minimag LEDs yesterday. I really like them both.

The 2AA is bright, and has a nice white tint, but compared side by side with the 3AA, the 3AA seems at least 30% brighter, and with an even nicer white tint to it.

The 2AA seems like an overdriven Luxeon, where as the 3AA seems more like a Lux III,( which it is supposed to be).

Maybe because of tints the 3AA seems brighter, at least to the naked eye.

It will be interesting to see the reviews on both lights...

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA seems like an overdriven Luxeon, where as the 3AA seems more like a Lux III,( which it is supposed to be).

When you underdrive a lux (like the 2aa) Color shift is more noticable.
The more you push it, the more white it apears. *(3aa)*

They are both 3watt, but the 2aa is underdriven *alot*

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
nakahoshi said:
When you underdrive a lux (like the 2aa) Color shift is more noticable.
The more you push it, the more white it apears. *(3aa)*

They are both 3watt, but the 2aa is underdriven *alot*

Are most (if not almost all) of the 2AA version on the green or blue side? I have seen three 2AA's myself and my brother has one and all but one of them were towards the green side. The other was VERY blue (HID like) and was quite a bit less powerful than the other two I saw myself.
I want a 2AA that has XO or WO tint. Do those actually exist? Mine is very bright but is definitely far from pure white.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and it runs in this order from dimmest to brightest:

2xAA
3xAA
4D
The 3xaa overtakes the hotspot of the 2xaa when shined on a wall and the 4D kills them both.

The way Mag are utilizing these 3 watters makes me think they should've just left 3 watt to the C/D cells and got more runtime in the AA versions by using a 1 watt. My old Dorcy 1 watt 2xaa was bluer but it illuminated just about the same area with more runtime than the 2xAA Mag gets.

If they introduce a 1AA solitaire and cram a 3 watt in it, I'm passing.

If you're stuck on the fence about which one to get and you don't really plan on carrying often, I'd say go for the 3xAAA.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
So how does the MMLed 3aa do vs the MagLed 3D? Have they been compared somewhere else on here?
If they are both 3w lights they should both be equally bright? have the same throw/reach?
I use a MM w/NiteIze for around the house a lot..plenty of light for looking in cabinets and going through a dark house etc. with mega-efficient battery life (cheap way to make the old MM useable again). I use my MagLed 3D and 4D for inside and outside both. I don't know that the newer MMLeds really have anything to offer (other than like many of us here just being hooked on cool lights?) If I didn't already own the bigger lights, would the MMLeds fill that task?
Would they just be an upgrade to the MM/NiteIze instead?
I'm not sure that I would spend $24-25 to just replace what I already have that already works in other words..(other than the cool factor of course!)

Sounds like the 3AA is the better choice between the 2 to me, just not pocket friendly though.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
mtnwalker said:
So how does the MMLed 3aaa do vs the MagLed 3D? Have they been compared somewhere else on here?
If they are both 3w lights they should both be equally bright? have the same throw/reach?
I use a MM w/NiteIze for around the house a lot..plenty of light for looking in cabinets and going through a dark house etc. with mega-efficient battery life (cheap way to make the old MM useable again). I use my MagLed 3D and 4D for inside and outside both. I don't know that the newer MMLeds really have anything to offer (other than like many of us here just being hooked on cool lights?) If I didn't already own the bigger lights, would the MMLeds fill that task?
Would they just be an upgrade to the MM/NiteIze instead?
I'm not sure that I would spend $24-25 to just replace what I already have that already works in other words..(other than the cool factor of course!)

Sounds like the 3AA is the better choice between the 2 to me, just not pocket friendly though.

I have a 3D MagLED a 2AA and a Minimag with a Nite Ize upgrade. When comparing the 2AA Magled and the 3D there is quite a difference. The 3D has UNREAL throw but other than the hotspot the beam isn't all that bright (especially after 15 min when the light has decreased in output by 50%). The 2AA has a very nice smooth beam with a nice hotspot (not a thrower however) and very bright side spill. It has a similar beam to a L1P (only smaller in diameter) and the side spill is much brighter because of the smaller size.
You can't even compare this light to the Niteize. It completely destroys it. I think alot of the cheaper LED lights are in for a rude awakening.