Gladius buzzing?

Glas4d

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my gladius today! I was amazed at how small it was. there are a few artifacts and such on the reflector, but they don't affect the beam what so ever. but the light makes a high pitch squeal when it is on high and a low buzzing noise when it is on low. Has anyone else experianced this.

Thanks

Glas4d

Newly Enlightened
Alright thats great. It didnt bug me at all, I was just wondering if it was doing something it shouldn't. It my be a usefull thing. lets say I put the light bezel down on a nice flat table and forget about it being on, i can hear if it's on.

:grin2:

Telkin

Enlightened
It sounds like yours is quite audible if you can hear it on the table, I can only hear mine when there's absolutely no ambient noise and my friends say they can't hear it at all. Maybe you're ears are just tuned better than mine.

I am curious though, since I'm a new Gladius owner as well if your tailcap rattles when you shake it. Mine sounds like something is loose inside it all the time, depressed or not. Is that normal?

Ken

dougie

Enlightened
Telkin
It's a well known issue with some of the tailcaps. Not everyone has this problem but as it doesn't affect the light I wouldn't worry about it.
Doug

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seem to be a common probem, my ARC4+ buzzes on hight, some HDS lights do.

would coating the inductor in somtype of rubber, glue or sorts during manufacture reduce or eliminate the buzzing.

regards.

Glas4d

Newly Enlightened
There is no rattle at all. I got mine from strategos. I got a black one with the serial number 17XXX. I LOVE THIS LIGHT!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a 176xx from Strategos as well. I was surprised to hear of the buzzing, and when I tried it out, I did notice it, but I had to hold the Gladius right up to my ear and concentrate very hard. It's nothing like the banshee wail of the SL Argo HP.

The Gladius is so awesome!

T3nn15dud5

Newly Enlightened
i think my tailcap is busted. it doesnt turn on anymore as of yesterday, i never dropped it, always stored in the drawer. :(

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes with the older style tailcaps there can be a kind of glitch where the light stops working. It happens sometimes when the cap gets a little loose.

The light can be "rebooted" by taking off the cap and putting it back on. Of course, you should also check the batteries to make sure they haven't gone dead for some odd reason.

Scott

T3nn15dud5

Newly Enlightened
tried 3 different sets, nothing, sometimes it works, cap is in the middle function (strobe), but works as if in the right mode (momentary click), and only on the medium kinda setting...

Glas4d

Newly Enlightened
On the highest setting I can hear the buzzing / squealing without having it up to me ear. I can hear it over my very loud computer when the light is about 2 feet away. I'm no scientist but is it maybe because I can hear a higher frequency than others. The fact that I'm 17 may help that a bit also. I have also noticed when i turn the light on in momentary mode the buzing does not start right away like it does in constant on mode. it starts to buzz or squeal after about 1-2 seconds. Any one else experianced this?

Thanks

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glas4d said:
On the highest setting I can hear the buzzing / squealing without having it up to me ear. I can hear it over my very loud computer when the light is about 2 feet away. I'm no scientist but is it maybe because I can hear a higher frequency than others. The fact that I'm 17 may help that a bit also...Thanks

Hey Glas4d, I can verify that with personal experience.

I was helping out my 17 year old nephew with a circuit he was experimenting with that featured a large inductor. I made some modification to the circuit and powered it up.

He was standing across the room, but as soon as it powered up he asked, "What did you do to it? What's that horrible squealing?"

Of course I could hear nothing at all. We discovered that I could hear the squealing only if I placed my ear within about six inches of the inductor. We measured the squeal frequency at about 14 KHz.

Young kids can hear high freqs well, up to 18 to 20 KHz IIRC. Sensitivity to the higher freqs falls off gradually with age in most people.

Glas4d

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much ringzero. This may be a blonde moment here but what exactly does the inductor do?

Thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
T3nn15dud5 said:
i think my tailcap is busted. it doesnt turn on anymore as of yesterday, i never dropped it, always stored in the drawer. :(

As a fellow NewYorker, I'm sure you know Paragon Sporting Goods sells the Gladius at almost $300 :sick2:

And yes, I seriously considered buying it..... until I examined the tailcap assembly! The entire light is excellent quailty, but the tailcap looks like it was an afterthought. Almost as though they intentionally used the cheapest plastic they could possibly find! That tailcap assembly is just plain flimsy. At least that's what it looked like to me.

Are they willing to fix your busted tailcap assembly?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glas4d said:
Thank you very much ringzero. This may be a blonde moment here but what exactly does the inductor do?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Gladius, but an inductor in an LED light is generally part of the power supply.

An inductor (AKA coil) is part of a switching power supply (AKA converter, AKA regulator) used to raise, or lower, the battery voltage to a voltage more suitable for an LED.

(AKA: Also Known As)

Hope this cleared it up for you.