lifehacker - Tech support with UltraVNC SingleClick

db

Newly Enlightened
This is pretty cool. Hope that some others find it helpful.

LINK to LifeHacker

by Gina Trapani
Grandpa called from Florida, and he needs your help uploading pictures to Yahoo! Photos. When you call him back it's impossible to tell what's going wrong. If only you were looking over his shoulder - except he's states away.

Almost a year ago I wrote a tutorial on how to remote control a computer over the internet using a VNC (Virtual Network Computing) server and viewer. Well, talking Grandpa through the server installation is not an option. However, UltraVNC Single Click is a small, standalone server you can email Grandpa that he can run in - you guessed it - a single click. Here's how to set up a Single Click VNC server that will let you remote control Grandpa's computer over the internet with no configuration on his part.

In a normal VNC server/viewer setup, the viewer contacts the VNC server to log in and remote control it. With SingleClick Ultra VNC, the opposite happens: the server is pre-configured to contact a viewer at a specified IP address...

The advantage here is that Grandpa (the person running the server) doesn't have to worry about opening ports on his computer or firewall - since the server makes the call out, the connection can happen regardless. The onus is on the viewer (you) to have an open port

From the SC UltraVNC site:

UltraVnc SC
What is SC ?

UltraVNC SC is a mini (166k) UltraVNC Server that can be customized and preconfigured for download by a Customer. UltraVNC SC does not require installation and does not make use of the registry. The customer only have to download the little executable and Click to make a connection. The connection is initiated by the server, to allow easy access thru customers firewall.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Vnc is a great remote program. I use it daily to access a Unix desktop via a Windows XP PC. I could do the oposite if I wished, displaying the XP desktop on the Unix workstation.

I use it with both of my parents, it's easy for them to start up for me.

The original program is available for free from www.realvnc.com

Dan

Latest posts