Quick Question: Streamlight TLR-2, ok with 3.7v RCR123's?

Telkin

Enlightened
Hey CPFer's,

I just got a Streamlight TLR-2 Laser/Light combo and it's one amazing light. The beam is flawless and the throw and sidespill is even better than my Gladius. I have a several 3.7v RCR123's sitting around and wouldn't mind some free lumens. I've searched on Streamlight website as well as most of the TLR-2 Threads here and couldn't find if it would take the rechargeables so I'm hoping someone here could let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

Ken

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be more appropriate if you posted it in the Incandescent forum. But chances are you'll blow or significantly shorten the life of the bulb with 2 3.7V RCRs, and may also damage the laser. Those high intensity 2xCR123 lights are usually equipped with a 4.8V rated bulb that is driven pretty hard already.

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on this issue, I dont want to fry this thing, but just can't bring myself to buy regular old expensive batteries for this thing. I have some golston rechargeables rated at 3.0 volts but am scared to even try them.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Considering you can get Surefire batteries in a pack of 12 for $1.75 and Streamlight batteries are listed at Brightguy right now in a pack of 12 for 1.58 each I don't consider them to be that expensive.

Figure two D cell alkalines would cost about the same as a CR123 and the CR123 performs better. I personnally wouldn't want rechargeables in a weapon light unless it got used a lot.

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Mikeg23 said:
Considering you can get Surefire batteries in a pack of 12 for $1.75 and Streamlight batteries are listed at Brightguy right now in a pack of 12 for 1.58 each I don't consider them to be that expensive.

Figure two D cell alkalines would cost about the same as a CR123 and the CR123 performs better. I personnally wouldn't want rechargeables in a weapon light unless it got used a lot.

You obviously are not like me, a $6.99 rechargeable that can be recharged 500+ times is worth much more to me. I can't bring myself to spend $1.58 on a single battery, because I am the type of guy that turns my light on just to see it turn on. I am not conservative with my batteries at all. I empty batteries about every other day, and tend to rotate rechargeable batteries in and out.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I agree with you. The light I use daily has an 18650 in it that gets swapped out every other day to avoid going dead.

However, my weapon light mostly sits so that is where I am coming from.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Might be more appropriate if you posted it in the Incandescent forum. But chances are you'll blow or significantly shorten the life of the bulb with 2 3.7V RCRs, and may also damage the laser. Those high intensity 2xCR123 lights are usually equipped with a 4.8V rated bulb that is driven pretty hard already.

I'm curious, why post if you don't actually know anything about the light?

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, here we are 9 years later and I have the same question. Has anyone tried LiPo rechargeables in a TLR-2 HL G yet?
Thanks.

ToneDeath

Newly Enlightened
So, here we are 9 years later and I have the same question. Has anyone tried LiPo rechargeables in a TLR-2 HL G yet?
Thanks.

9 years! I was looking at this light also and would like to run rechargeables in it for practice an general shooting. I'd probally keep a fresh pair 123's in it for longer term storage. I'm going to call Streamlight tomorrow for some input.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
9 years! I was looking at this light also and would like to run rechargeables in it for practice an general shooting. I'd probally keep a fresh pair 123's in it for longer term storage. I'm going to call Streamlight tomorrow for some input.

I called Streamlight back then and they just referred me to the manual which specified CR123 primaries. I haven't tried rechargeables in mine yet. Let us know how it goes if you do.

Steve

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I've found it difficult to get info/specs on SL products beyond what they publish.

FWIW, I'm successfully using a Li-ion 16650 in a new PolyTac, even though the instructions explicitly state two-CR123 batteries only and their warranty excludes the use of rechargeable batteries. Of course, I'm going to a lower voltage, not higher like you are proposing. Unless you are willing to gamble, I'd stick with primaries.

FWIW #2, I have two WMLs that I use only primary batteries in for their superior long-term storage life. Other than an occasional night match, they are for emergency use only.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reviewed two Streamlight gun lights:

Streamlight TLR-1HP gun light Review (2xCR123)
Streamlight TLR-2 HL G Gun light with Laser sight (2x CR123)

Here are a few comments regarding your question -

They have a maximum input voltage of 6V - so NO to using 2x RCR123
The battery tube is too short for most protected cells. (the only LiFeP04 cells I have are protected and I can't fit them into either light)
AW RCR123s do fit, and I have successfully tested these using one AW RCR123 and a dummy cell. This keeps the voltage below 6V and works quite well.
See the TLR-1HP review for a test result of this.