Fenix E1 versus E0

pilou

Enlightened
These lights seem fairly similar in size but they are different in some respects.

Output:
- E1: 12 lumens [Fenix]
- E0: 5.5 lumens

Runtime
- E1: 1h45min
- E0: 11h

Size:
- E1: 2.85" (L) x 0.55" (D)
- E0: 2.66" (L) x 0.47" (D)

Price:
- E1: $24
- E0: $20

Quality edge for E1: AR coated lens and nicer styling.

So which one would you chose if you could get only one? The E0 is slightly smaller and trimmer, but is that enough to make a difference in the pocket or on a keychain? The E1 should be clearly brighter. The E0 seems dimmer than an Inova X1. Sure, a runtime of 11 hours is great, but isn't the nearly two hours of the E1 more than enough for a keychain flashlight running on inexpensive AAA batteries? Isn't the brighter output of the E1 preferable? As to the price, the E1 is 20% more expensive, but when that's just $4, does it matter that much? Finally, doesn't the E1 look much nicer?

It seems to me that the only pros of the E0 are a long run time and slightly smaller dimensions. Any thoughts?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been pondering this same question.

The difference in output is very significant, with a fairly small penalty in size and weight. I believe the E1 will also have better tint as well.

For me, the longer runtime of the E0 does not offset the greater advantages of the E1.

The $4 matters very little in the big picture.

I have a L1 and a P1. The P1 is fantastic and one of my primary EDC's.

An E1 for me.

Mark

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received two E1s to give for presents.

They have a ringy beam, green/yellow cast to both.

But, they are brighter than all hell, body quality is superb, hardened glass AR coated lens.

For the money, the E1s are great.

The EO is just another nichia. Blue, dim.etc.

BUT, the EO should whip Acs butt.

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
I think the E0 is direct competition to the Arc.

The E1 replaced the Arc AAA-P on my keychain for exactly the reasons you mentioned as preference of the E1 over the E0.

E0 competes with the Arc, but the E1 is in a different class, somewhere between the Arc/E0 and the L0P.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I got the E1 a couple weeks ago. I love the brightness and can tolerate the rings, which in real use are not a problem. But that didn't stop me from ordering the E0 a few minutes ago. There's just something special about long hours in regulation for such a good price, even though it's dimmer. I have to agree that the E1 looks nicer. Whether either one will permanently replace my old Arc is still in question.

Geoff

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L0P is great for the CPF group. We understand high performance comes at a cost. In this case a 1 hour run time. We love the perfect beam, bright surround, ect. But most folks would probably not notice these outstanding qualities. In fact I have twice loaned the light to people to use (to look around in attics) and they did not comment on it. I did get a comment from a lady who seeing me lighting the bathroom with it (we were installing a new light fixture) ran to get her monster 6 volt lantern flashlight. She turned it on and it was no where as bright as the L0P. She commented that it was "a pretty bright little thing" ...and that her batt was probably in need of replacement.

The E1 has a 3 time longer run time with any given batt. Much more respectable to many common folk. The ringy, but highly usable beam suits them just fine. In thier world it seems to run a long time...they don`t play with them like we do. The batt might last them several months.

The E0 might be the best light to give as gifts. Poor unenlightend souls will probably get a year out 1 lithium batt "this light runs forever". And for us...got to have one just because. I`ll justify it by imagining a hurricane knocks the house down and I`m trapped with nothing to do but read a magazine...and I can`t move far enough to get to any of my other zillion lights. Wonder what magazine I would chose?

Ken

pilou

Enlightened
The only drawback of the L0p seems to be the fact that it is not as well regulated as the E1. I suspect it might even become dimmer than the E1 within 20-30 minutes of use. But this is an "on paper" assessment and the beam of the L0p might be more useful in the field. But for a slight increase in size, an L2P head with an L1P combo would put you in a completely different league than the L0P.

Haz

Enlightened
For the keychain purpose, i will prefer the E0. I would prefer the longer runtime, because although it is not as bright as the E1. The runtime is over 5 times more, in an emergency situation, the longer runtime imho is more important, i carry the light for emergency needs.

I guess some people may prefer the double brightness, because the keychain light is use in short period, such as illuminating a footpath at night, finding the keyhole etc. In those instances brighter is better, and runtime is not as important

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
I ordered an E1 last Sunday and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Now I am anxious to compare it to my 'other' AAA LED.

I also ordered, and got today, a 10440 (Li-Ion AAA) battery for my Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Ultra. Although with an Alkaline battery there was a decent output, it is down to 75% in 15 minutes!! With a Li-Ion, overdriving those LED's, the Matterhorn becomes as bright (probably brighter) as my L1P.

I am trying the "get them both approach", the E1 for decent light and what I consider LONG Run Time at 1 Hour 45 Minutes, while the Matterhorn with a 3.6 volt Li-Ion rechargeable battery, BLOWS many AA and some 123a lights away!!

Of course it helps to have a computerized Li-Ion / Li-Poly for my other hobby to charge those batteries!!

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E1 which I quite like as a keychain light
I have now ordered the E0 as I like the 11 hours regulated runtime
Its a hard choice, will have to see when the E0 arrives,

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
I have an E1 which I quite like as a keychain light
I have now ordered the E0 as I like the 11 hours regulated runtime
Its a hard choice, will have to see when the E0 arrives,

Hey TORCH_BOY, why choose? These little guys are so small and light, I'd carry 'em both.

I learned long ago to never depend on just one light, because any light can let you down at a critical time, even an expensive light.

I have a cheap, generic, aluminum AAA LED light on one bunch of keys, and an ancient, battle-scarred, stock Solitaire on another bunch of keys. (I prefer to split my keys up rather than carrying one heavy, unwieldy bunch.) EDCing this combo, when was the last time I needed a light and didn't have one? Never.

EDCing two cheap lights is arguably more reliable than a single more expensive light, like my Inova X1, or even the venerated ARC.

I'm thinking of getting both the E0 and the E1. Both look to represent great value for their prices. They would compliment one another nicely, and both are probably more reliable than the lights I EDC now.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
For me, carrying two (three) small lights as EDC means that their performances should differ enough. As I already EDC a Civictor (rechargeable, 90 mins. + bright!) for dayly use or finding my way in a hurry, a second light should be more in the category: what if I got trapped in an elevator or other dark environment, or had to find my way around till dawn. I don't think the E1 would fit the bill here.

So far my second EDC is the Arc-P (5+ hours). I'm now thinking of EDC-ing the Fenix E0 as a third light. A sort of three stage rocket:

1 Civictor (rechargeable): gets most use; regular recharge.
2 Fenix (alkaline): for low light situations / night vision / long blackouts; new battery every few months.
3 Arc-P (lithium): just sitting there should all else fail or be used up; new battery every few years.

This EDC-thing has no limits, does it? Carry this and that... (maybe AE-Light some day?)
yellowlaugh.gif

Kees

x2x3x2

Banned
I'd probably get a Photon Freedom for $9.99 with about the same output with more features, multiple user selectable output and a fraction of the size.

Fenix is riding on a trend on these recent releases.

cuervo

Newly Enlightened
I'd probably get a Photon Freedom for $9.99 with about the same output with more features, multiple user selectable output and a fraction of the size.

x2, I can't speak for the Freedom, but I did have an Inova MM on my keyring. It was very easy for the pressure of my keys to turn this light on while in my pocket. If I didn't notice it, that would be four minutes of battery time burned until it happened again. If you can, you may want to stick with a standard freedom so that it is only only while you're holding down the switch.

I have since bought an E1 and like it very much. It is about the same length as a key, so doesn't stick out. It is very bright, so is good for finding my way down the dark walk from the car to the front door or when looking around for something but not having or wanting to pull out my L2P. Runtime isn't a big deal since this light is on for only a few minutes at a time, and a AAA battery will last much longer than a coin-cell.

Coop57

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:

The Photon Freedom turns on unintentionally in your pocket and the coin batteries not as easily found as AAA bats. The Arc AAA Premium is hard to beat. Replace the bat every two years and I am good to go. The less I have to think about a keychain light the better.

x2x3x2

Banned
The accidental turn on for the Freedom would only be a problem id u've got so much stuff in ur pocket or pants which are so tight that it gets turned on. Which isn't a problem i have.

Does the ease and versatiliy of the Freedom really downplayed by the ArcAAA or E1?
What im thinkin is, for a key chain light it should be easy to turn on like with a push button instead of twistie, n also be light weight, in this case the Freedom basically dissapears comparing to the AAA lights. Anyway how often does the Freedom accidentally turn on for u? Did it do so often that u had to replace the batter more than once a year?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:

I have had one on my keychain I used to use it quite frequently, changing the batteries all the time was a real effort. Battery changing for the fenix is quite simple,

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question regarding the E1/E0:

Does the tailcap screw off, or do you remove the head to replace the battery?

The reason I ask is I'm considering an E0 and I've used solitaires in the past but always ended up losing them because they came loose from the tailcap that attaches to the keyring.

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
As far as EDC is concerned: For brightness I carry the E1 (even though I own an LOP). For long run time either the EO or ARC-P will suffice. I usually carry an E1 on my keys and carry a P1 in its holster on my belt that has never failed me in any situation. I can dress "business casual" at work, thus the P1 doesn't even get any comments or hardly even noticied for that matter.

Side note: I work in a high-rise building. One evening a co-worker opened his drawer and showed me a regular 2 cell flashlight. He said "you never know when you might need this in a building emergency..". I then proceeded to show him both the E1 and the P1. When I turned on both lights he said "holy s*&%^ those things are bright". He then asked where to order 'em !!!

I love it when unenlightened folks get the message about LEDs !

PS- I don't have the kind of money to just order new torches for the hell of it, but I'm ordering an EO right after getting off this post.

Regards all....

Last edited: