Standard Arc AAA vs. AAA-P runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
I'm just wondering if the standard ARC-AAA gives substantially better runtime compared to the AAA-P due to it's slightly lower output. Thinking about picking up an Arc-AAA but not sure if I want to spend an extra $10 for 2 more lumens, and if the standard AAA get better runtime then that's even better.

I should just pickup a new Fenix E0, but something draws me to the ARC.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. The -P is brighter because it uses a LED with a higher output. The drive circuits are the same and the runtimes should be comparable.

There has been debate on why there should even be a standard model because the price difference between the two LEDs is only pennies.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's obvious why there are two models. People who want the best quality will buy the Premium (which is a much higher margin item for Arc) and those who are price sensitive will buy the regular item. Economist's call it "price descrimination". The next time you are on an airplane (unless it's Southwest) ask your fellow travellers what they are paying. The last minute business person will be paying more than the student planning his long anticipated trip home.

This will start to break down for Arc when competitors introduce more attractive products priced lower. Peak and Arc matched pricing on their AAA lights when the products were introduced last year, but neither company put much effort in innovating those lights since then. (Other than Peak shipping its newer lights with a clip - big deal.) The new Fenix AAA lights will give both companies a real run for the money. Fenix still trails in build quality, but it makes up for it in better regulation and much better value. Look at the E0 and E1.

We don't see the numbers, but it's pretty obvious that Fenix is taking the industry by storm - and taking sales away from companies like Arc and Peak. Since they can't compete on price (vs. cheap Chinese manufacturing) Arc better keep innovating. Perhaps the new luxeon light will be the answer.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the reason for two models is obvious - filling a market niche. I was in a rush, so perhaps I did not word my response very clearly. The debate was more about the excessive price delta between the standard and premium models.

Illumination said:
It's obvious why there are two models. People who want the best quality will buy the Premium (which is a much higher margin item for Arc) and those who are price sensitive will buy the regular item. Economist's call it "price descrimination". The next time you are on an airplane (unless it's Southwest) ask your fellow travellers what they are paying. The last minute business person will be paying more than the student planning his long anticipated trip home.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...let's hope that Arc is reinvesting some of that excess into R&D on their new lights!

I reread my message and decided it probably sounds too harsh. The Arc AA is clearly a better constructed light than the Fenix - and it's nice to see the "Made in the US". It also looks great. That said, the model should probably have been updated a while ago with better regulation and potentially a better led...

Status
Not open for further replies.