• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *SOLD* FS: two 18650's LG Chem Li-ion cells

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
*SOLD*

I have a 7.2 volt 2.4AH Li-ion pack with PCB protection. This is the pack made by www.batterspace.com shown here. It is made from LG Chem 2400 mAh 18650's and a PCB protection circuit. However, the pack as received was a reeking piece of crap. The damned PCB was held on by SCOTCH TAPE, if you can believe that. So I re-did that portion of it, and shrinkwrapped the whole thing, silicone jacket wires, kapton tape, and so on. And it even has molex connectors on the ends of the wires which will grab the ends of Welch Allyn lamp pins, or most standard LA pins, such as the TL LA, SL-20X, etc. But don't get your hopes up, however, as the stupid PCB will prevent you from driving any even remotely powerful lamp--which it sees as a short circuit. You could, of course, by-pass the PCB, or try some other trick. Or remove the molex connectors and use it to power something else, an LED light perhaps? Whatever.

Point is, I'll sell this for $10 to whoever wants it. The cells are in perfect condition, and the pack is better than what batteryspace delivered to me for $24. Rip-off, that was.

And that's not all . . .

I also have two loose LG Chem 18650 Li-ion cells. I liberated these from a 3 cell batteryspace pack, which wasn't much better made from the 2 cell version. I had to by-pass the PCB to do a direct-drive runtime test against a PWM regulator, and I had to carefully monitot the voltage to prevent over-discharge during the process. But I digress . . .

Point is, that these cells have weld marks where I ripped the tabs off them, but a little work with some 220 grit sandpaper will fix that. The shrink wrap is unharmed and in good order. The cells are in perfect condition, with only a handful of cycles on them.

I'll sell these for $4 each.

Shipping will be $2 for one or two of the loose cells, or $3 for the pack alone, or the pack with one or both loose cells. i.e. you want the pack, $3 shipping. You don't want the pack, $2 shipping. Unless of course you don't want ANYTHING, in which case, what the hell are you reading this for?

I will accept PayPal to *address removed* or check or money order.

:nana:

Last edited:

aosty

Enlightened
Re: FS: two 18650's, and 7.2 volt 2.4 AH protected Li-ion pack

I'll take the pack.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK. Pack is yours pending payment!

paulr

Flashaholic

Heh, thanks for posting that js, I can't use the pack but I appreciate your description. I'd been wondering about that batteryspace stuff and now I know. Out of curiosity did you make any measurements of the cell capacity to check out the 2.4AH claim?

The cheapest source of 18650-based lithium ion packs that I know of seems to be camcorder packs sold on ebay. The Sony NP-F970 apparently has six 18650's inside in a 3p2s configuration, and clones of it are under $30 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290027556867

These packs can put out quite a bit of power because they are used for video lights. I keep thinking someone should make a mini-lantern that uses one or two of them.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey there paul! How are you?

As far as my measurements could tell, the 2.4 AH capacity is pretty close to real, but only at 1/2C draw rates or less. As you draw more current, the actual delivered AH is less, but that's true of all cells. In the case of Li-ion, the internal resistance is just a lot higher than high rate NiMH or NiCd cells (or high rate Li-poly). There are some really good discharge curves on these cells which Tweak (I think) made. I stole the jpg a long time ago. hehe. But it's not a hot-link. Here it is:

18650_2400mAh.jpg

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kryosphinx,

Yes, these are 2.4 AH cells made by LG Chem. Send PP, check or money order for $10 and I will get them right out to you. PM me for my address if paying by check or money order.

Also, I should note that I noticed the other day that the shrink wrap does not wrap around the rear, negative end of the cell. Instead it is cut flush with the back of the casing, so that the whole bottom, negative end is exposed.

If this is a problem--i.e. if you want to use these loose in a light body--I'd be happy to put new shrink wrap on the cells for you. It will be black instead of grey, and just a touch thicker (by .001" I suspect), but will also be tougher and more abrasion resistant.

Point is, let me know if you want me to re-shrink wrap them so that the shrink wraps all the way around the rear edges of the body.