McCulloch HID Lights

Woody

Newly Enlightened
Was flipping thru the April 2002 "Truckin's SUV" magazine and saw and ad for McCulloch(the chainsaw folks) HID lights, lamps, ballasts, after market conversion kits, auxiliary lights, and what appears to be a battery powered hand held light!

Checked their web site, www.mccullochpower.com
but it does not have info on all of the lights shown in the ad.

Does anyone else know anything about these lights.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

$460 is a steal for an real HID Xenon light!

The other ones out there are puny compared to this light.

I'm gonna ask if I can put a deposit to get the first ones.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Called McCulloch on the x990 hand held hid
3200 lumins,retail price $460 will be out next month at Home Depot or can be ordered from McCulloch.Major crack in the HID world!!

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Just went to McCulloch lights in Orange County, and saw the x990.

Yes, it is a real HID.
Yes, it uses the Phillips D2S bulb.
Yes, the retail is $460.
I have seen the SF Beast as well, and the light output was essentially the same. Not surprising, because they use similar spec lamps.

It was a very nice light. Focusable, too. But the "range of focusability" was kind of small. I would have prefered it to be even tighter, and even wider.

It comes with a carrying case, TWO NiMH batteries (4.1Ah each), and a charger. Each battery should last ~70 mins, so you've got ~140 mins of HID light for $460! It's really not a bad deal.

Mr Ted Bear was with me, and he took some photos comparing the sizes with my M6 and stuff. He should post them sometime tonight.

Again, great light!

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang, your fast (had to pick up kids)....

you dont mean this photo's?

15 inches of light
8887051-3773-028001E0-.jpg

carrying case
8887046-1bf8-028001E0-.jpg

side by side m6
8887047-1fdc-028001E0-.jpg

business end x990 and M6
8887048-b15a-028001E0-.jpg

battery next to M6
8887049-88ca-028001E0-.jpg

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:

...15 inches of light...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Ted B,

This looks like a fascinating light, but unless that first photo is somehow distorted, it seems clear that if you measure from the very front to the back the light is closer to 18 inches. That's a really big light. How does it handle? Is it a comfortable carry for a few hours? Also, any idea how long the NiMH's will pump out those 3000+ lumens, assuming it's not regulated?

BTW Excellent pictures!

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,

If all goes according to plan, I should have one of these (on a permament basis) by the end of next week. The deal is, I have to do a 7-10 minute infomercial for them. With more than 10 years experience shooting underwater video coomercially, I am not too worried about the technical aspects (lighting and composition etc). Of greater concern for me is the script. Already, I have a helicopter lined up, a tentative approval to do some shots on a LA County Fireboat (keeping fingers crossed), a "handsome" guy model, "a gorgeous chick", (hadsome guy model's fiance), and done my homework on some nice locations, riverbed with bridge, a perfect construction sight (has no lights), beach, campgrounds blah blah

If any of you can think of how you would like to see this "light in action", I am open for suggestions

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy, digital cameras.. thats a big can of worms...

These were taken with a Sony F707. If its in your budget, its a great camera. Ohterwise, you don't need 5 mega pixels. I used a 3.3 mega pixel for over 2 years, and it more than met my needs.

Woody

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Ted B,

WOW !!!!
That's what I call taking the bull by the horns. Great photos.

I wasn't able to get online for a few days, so I was stunned to see you photos. Hope the infomercial works out, can't wait to see it.

Can you post, and let us know when and where it can be seen when the time comes?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woody

This 'infomercial' is intended to be a selling tool for McCulloch.... have you ever bouught something based on something yor read or heard, or even worse, just a lousy picture?

What I told McCulloch is to make 100 prints of this commercial, and to send it out to people that inquire about the light. The have said they would like to use it at some tradeshows showing the capabilities of the light along with their new line of off road lights.

The other thing is, I can't afford the out of pocket expense for one of these things, so I just have to work it off with my other talents.

recercare

Enlightened
Mr Ted Bear:

I'm going to buy a digital camera. Your pictures are great! May I ask what kind of camera you have?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the X914 bulb housing looks interesting, just add a battery, but it uses a "B2S" 35 watt bulb, I asume this is also an HID? If not there is a similar model with a D2S bulb..(click on "auxillary lights" at the McCulloch site.)
..wonder what they cost...?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

yes I do! A Subaru Outback, would that qualify? Got lovely hills, dirt roads, ocean view, and gets very dark on some nights...the surf is right across the street...
(if the neighbor hadn't plowed his field in front of me, we'd see an ocean of yellow mustard, maybe they'll grow back -- K.D. Lang, the singer?, shot a video here for the view, riding her dirt bike around...)
...has anyone posted any beam pictures of the Xenonics Nighthunter II (or Nighthunter) compared to any of the other 'superlights' i.e. Maxabeam, SF Beast, etc.?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted

Quite likely yes... you would have to be willing to drill a couple holes in your bumper and get them wired, and 'give up' an evening or two for the shoot.... and in exchange, you would get to keep the hid lights....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

OK! I emailed you. (You know Xenonics makes a vehical mounted unit, think you could interest them in a commercial??)

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted the Led

At this time, I don't know too much about the McCulloch lights, but that will all change by the end of the week. This Friday I will be meeting with them for pre-production meeting on their commercial.

The 990 is in transit, due to arrive Long Beach on Monday, and they think 3 days to clear customs
smile.gif
smile.gif

From phone discussions with McCulloch, they are now talking about a more extensive video of their off road lights...

CASTING CALL do you have a 4 wheeler that needs some OFF ROAD LIGHTS ? Looking for vehicles to mount and display them in use.

(in the next scene, we show a 4 wheeler on the beach, lights on, illuminating the surf)

Latest posts