Diffuser For mini-Mag Head

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys know if anyone makes a diffuser assembly for the mini-Mag (both incadescent and LED) that would soften and smooth the light when used in candle mode?

I'm thinking of some sort of translucent plastic "cup" with compatible threads on the bottom that screws onto the flashlight body when you remove the lens assembly.

I'm aware of people using 35MM film containers, but I was just curious if there was something a bit more refined.

A larger size would also be handy for the full sized Mags too (with a stabilizing base).

Buckeye

Enlightened
I found the mini-mag accessory kit on clearance at Target. I spluttered the accessory clear lense and used the anti-roll bezel to hold the lense. You can replace the lense in the flashlight or splutter the original. The process is not reversible.
If you don't know what spluttering is. I learned about it concerning reflectors. You hold the object in a plastic bag turned inside out to protect your hand and arms. You spray the can ahead of time until the drops coming out are larger. You don't shake the can. The lower pressure creates larger drops. Use clear acrylic paint. You spray the paint above the object and let the drops fall onto the lense. The coating diffuses the light. Try a light coat and let it dry. You can add more coats later for a more diffused affect.
I did this to my wife's mini-mag. She uses her mini-mag with the Nite-ize replacement to read. The spluttering spreads out the light to cover more of the page and evens the beam out.
I hope this helps.
Doug

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'd like to remove the lens assembly (candle mode) and add a lamp shade type thing that would screw onto the threads. This way I woul dnot be blinded by the light and glare.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leave the head on, and use a white 35mm film cannister on top; the translucent plastic makes a great lanternish flood.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Try the bottle caps from 1l soft drinks. They come in different colors. They just snap-on over the bezel of both the standard and LED Mini Mags.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
I ended up punching a hole in the lid of a 35mm translucent film canister so that it was the same size as the diameter of the threads for the lens assembly. Nice snug fit. When the MiniMagLED is in candle mode, the light is nicely diffused.

In my informal run test, I'm now at 4 hours and about 50% intesity with the supplied Duracell AA batteries.

I'd post pictures, but I'm not sure how to...

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Shortly after I posted my last message, the light completely shut off. Therefore I guess 4 hours is about max. No moon mode.

schrenz

Enlightened
Leave the head on the mag and use a 1Inch traffic-warner, I guess from nit-ize, these plastic-dildos arte excellent for candle-use.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I think FlashlightLens.Com has the LDF for said light. That in iteself is like a "diffuser" of some sort. . .

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the MiniMag, you might want to try the Nite Ize Glow Spot Though, since this is intended for use with the head on the MiniMag, you're kind of left to your own devices in creating a base for it.

For the Mag, you can probably make one out of a sheet of translucent plastic to what ever shape you might prefer. I don't ever recall seeing a white/clear colored traffic cone for the full sized Mags.

Bmccue1964 said:
Do you guys know if anyone makes a diffuser assembly for the mini-Mag (both incadescent and LED) that would soften and smooth the light when used in candle mode?

I'm thinking of some sort of translucent plastic "cup" with compatible threads on the bottom that screws onto the flashlight body when you remove the lens assembly.

I'm aware of people using 35MM film containers, but I was just curious if there was something a bit more refined.

A larger size would also be handy for the full sized Mags too (with a stabilizing base).

schrenz

Enlightened
Glow spot is the right name of these parts, if I remember right, Surefire and Streamlight call it "traffic warner" (?).

The yellow one is good enough for candle use,
but the red one would be more romantical:D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Traffic or Safety Wand.

schrenz said:
Glow spot is the right name of these parts, if I remember right, Surefire and Streamlight call it "traffic warner" (?).

The yellow one is good enough for candle use,
but the red one would be more romantical:D

Latest posts