Philips to build LED plant in Singapore

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. This looks like a good investment tip:

``If the price drops fast enough, LEDs could be one of the highest growth areas for semiconductors in the next three to five years,'' said Angela Lo, a Taipei-based analyst at Daiwa Securities Group.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Unfortunately, Philips is too diversified for LED growth to have a big impact on their total sales. Perhaps Cree or Nichia?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the report on Ch5 news some days ago... first instinct is whether we'll be able to score some X-bins cheap...hahah.. hopefully some XY0Rs! :p

flame2000

Enlightened
chesterqw said:
yAY!!! now i can finally have a factoy in my country that makes LEDs :)

maybe we could visit it someday...

But the problem is, will they sell any of those Lux emitters and stars to the distributors in SG, I think most likely exported out.

BTW, is there any retailers carrying Lux emitters in SLT? Seems no one is carrying them in SG.:)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO ONE is carrying REAL luxeons in singpore.

ALL "luxeon" in singapore ARE FAKE!!

that is unless you buy them off member of cpf living in singapore.

look on the bright side flame2000, at least we will have the chance!

btw, i read somewhere that some group of student from poly or JC made a LED lighting solution for LTA. wa lao eh, i can make that too.
the article stated "driver" and "LED", "bright".
come on, lets send some of our own creation to LTA.

Lucien

Enlightened
Both Farnell and RS Components carry Luxeons. Being big companies, I doubt they're fake. Of course they don't sell particular bins, so you'll have to play the Luxeon Lottery.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
Saw the report on Ch5 news some days ago... first instinct is whether we'll be able to score some X-bins cheap...hahah.. hopefully some XY0Rs! :p

There is a thread around here about putting holes in LEDs which can increase their efficency by a considerable amount.
Phillips is big enough so they may follow through on developing this technology. Then you X bin would be the bottom bin.

I met Phillips when I lived in Baja in 1972 or so. At that time they had a conference room with just chairs in it. The chairs had cup holders and ashtrays. No table, no clipboards, nothing to write on. Just chairs. All notes, presentations, etc were done with computers. And yes, I said 1972.
He was considering putting a home up there to go with the ones in Canada, the USA, Ireland, and a couple in Europe...

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered stuff from Farnell before; didn't even know they sold luxeons or either that at that time they didn't have it yet. :D

Have to risk the bin though, and prices are almost the same as a guaranteed bin from PhotonFanatic.

Mike, whoa, so I guess Philips deserves to be what it is today if in 1972 it is already paperless!! :D :p

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
I've ordered stuff from Farnell before; didn't even know they sold luxeons or either that at that time they didn't have it yet. :D

Have to risk the bin though, and prices are almost the same as a guaranteed bin from PhotonFanatic.

Mike, whoa, so I guess Philips deserves to be what it is today if in 1972 it is already paperless!! :D :p

Bought from Farnell before too. Very good service, same or next-day delivery but prices not the cheapest of course. :)