Need Diving Light Advice!

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend at work who is looking for a Diving light that will meet these requirements.

-Needs to be water Proof (duh) To at least 3 Atmoshpheres (99' I think?)
-Run Time - At least an hour *(come on, we can do better then that)*
-Wants it to be bright, (im thinking a lux3 light perhaps)
-Has to be a led (this is my requirement)
- Budget - NO MORE THEN $100
Lower price is better. Im thinking something from Princton Tech?
Cells - He isnt a flashlight junky, so im thinking AA, maybe Rechargables (Cr123) This has to be included in the budget

*PLEASE dont offer Mods, Custom built anything, or something hard to get*

I really appreciate anyone who gives me advice that has actually DIVED with the light. That is what im after. I know i can count on CPF!
-Bobby

mchlwise

Enlightened
I hear Barbolights are pretty good.
97397.gif

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
For low price, I love my UK mini Q40 plus eled (about $25). A lux III underdriven at 2 watts (I think). Great, useful underwater beam (good throw) and 3 hours plus on 4xAA. I keep it in my BC pocket all the time, it is very compact but useable on night dives. About 30 lumens. here's the review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_q40p.htm I think it is the best dive light bang for the buck.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for the budget I'd look at PT or UK.. Barbolight wins both, but isn't really in your price range..

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
PS another of my favorites is the Princeton Tec Sport flare with SMJLED replacement for the stock bulb. It makes a great tank light or beacon on night dives, and if you take off the cone, it is an awesome TINY little dive light with enough mmph to get you home as a backup. Great out of the water, too. A big useful spill with a small hotspot with good throw for its size. You could get him that and the mini Q40 eLed and still have about 40 bucks for other dive goodies.

I do also like my UK C8 Eled. If your brother likes big dive lights this is a great light. But it is so big, I'd rather carry my Tec 40 w/MAGled and the two smaller lights I mentioned. Unfortunately the Tec40 MAGled mod is not just a dropin and requires dremeling and soldering. I plan to post photos of my recent mod soon.

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
: 800th POST:
Thanks everyone, I am going to research the UK mini Q40. It Looks like a dive tool, and You cant beat the price. What about the PT Impact XL, I had that light and it was a solid performer. Is that better or worse then the Q40?

Thanks everyone!
-bobby

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I have an Impact XL, and it's a great light. But I'm pretty sure it's a Lux I. I've just compared it to some other Lux I lights I have and it's about the same birghtness. It's definitely somewhat dimmer than my Fenix L2T(on high) and my MiniMagLED's, which are Lux III's. So the Impact XL meets your physical requirements, but I don't know that it will be as bright as you want.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of diving does he pratice? Recreational? Technical? Night dives?...

Here are more suggestions.

led-1625aa_tn.jpg

http://www.aquatecusa.com/led-1625aa.htm

This chinese one is a good light, well finished and cheap. Of course you can not expect to blind a shark with it, but I do like them. (You can find it under several brands)

Tektite has a wide catalogue, the Expedition Star matches your requirements.

expedition_star.jpg

http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=13

Another in your price range is the Frogman, by Ledlenser (also chinese, althought zwebrueder representatives in Spain say they are made in Germany...). It lacks completely the corona, but if your friend does not dive at nights it has a long throw beam good to see fishes into rock cracks.
frogman2_579.jpg

http://www.zweibrueder.com/english/products/torchesandflashlights/ledlenserfrogman/ledlenserfrogman.html

Of course, if the kind of diving is more technical (wrecks, caves, night usually) I would not recomend any of the above mentioned as main light.

Javier

Last edited:

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking at the mini Q40, make sure it is the "plus" model which is twice as bright.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK probably has the best selection of dive lights and just about all of them are quite inexpensive. i've got the sunlight sl-4, mini q40 and sunlight d8. all perform well, especially given the price points

check out leisurepro.com for a great selection of divelights at really competitive prices. their selection is limited to the big names, but what they have is really cheap

Walking in the Light

Newly Enlightened
Check out a Heliotek brand flashlight. These are the ideally suited for diving. Very waterproof with narrow beam for less-than-clear visibility. Two AA lithium batteries last for over 6 hours at maximum brightness.