My MadMaxlite

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, first off, I love my Maxlite! I find myself grabbing for it more and more often. Whats not to like, its built like a tank, fits nicely in my hand, it is a bit big for EDC but with how much I like it, I deal with it. Speaking of a bit big, the word 'overbuilt' has been used to describe it, which is true, quite a lot of material for a LE that does not produce much heat, kind of seems a waste of cooling material. Not if you jam a Lux V into it and put that extra material to work
buttrock.gif
!!! So that is just what I did, WWOS Lux V driven by a Downboy 1000 and powered by 2 14250's, and now this thing is a screamer, and yes that extra material is doing its job now!! It is a good amount brighter (appearance, dont have any test equipment) than my U2, and whiter with better throw, and against my SFIII Lux V it is about equal, although the SF III is whiter still!
The only real problem I had was the donut issue, which I solved with a shim, well actually I used a glow ring at the base of the reflector, I figured the glow ring would serve 2 functions, a shim and well, a glow ring! By tightening the bezel I could 'dial in' the focus, and look ma, no donut!!! I cant tighten the bezel all the way down but it is good enough for splash resistantance.
IMG_1264.jpg

The reflector throws very well for a Lux V, but of course now the beam is lot more 'floody' than used with a Lux III. (forgot to take a 'beam against the wall shot last night)
IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

Added some glow rings for this shot, but already took them out so those fins can do there job of cooling, because this light gets quite warm, but no warmer than my L4, so the heat is at least getting to the body, which is good!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really neat! I edc my Maxlite in my pants pocket.....it is a little on the big side but what a light!!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!!!!!!! This Light is possibly the nicest and coolest light ive seen. I just received my SS Bin Maxlite and It puts out about the same as a modded UW0J L1. Great Light... So awesome.

What kind of runtime do you get? Was the modding hard? Thanks.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, nice light! Wish I could afford a Maxlite! Where do you socal guys live?...I'd love to take a look at one in person.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxlunatic,

Nice mod! Did you build a new LE or did you rebuild the original?

Did you encounter any cell length issues? The anti-rattle stop at the end of the tube requires a precise cell length or the head won't ground and contact the cell simultaneously. I've found that my 14500s won't work due to the head not seating. Also, CR2s won't fit into the bore, so I thought I was stuck until I bored the tube. I didn't think of your solution.

Looks like your efforts were well worth it! Great job!

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the compliments guys!!

skalomax: I have not done any run time tests yet, if I do I will post. The modding posed a few challenges, like most mods always seem to do!

liteboy: IIRC the way the numbers work with these batts, 14250 is 14mm diameter and 25mm length, and this light is designed for AA, which is equal to a 14500, so 2 14250's have the same length as a 14500 or a AA.

jsr: I live in the San Fernando valley.

LED Zep: I thought that you would chime in on this. And you just had to ask about the LE, well I feel like I commited a sin because in my attempt to remove the awesome MJ converter, it was destroyed:scowl: . I did my best to get it out intact, but alas, I failed:ohgeez: . So yes I rebuilt the original.
I am surprised the you have seating problems with the 14500, which in your case might be a good thing because I dont think the MJ converter has any voltage protection, and those 3.7 volts would fry it! But no, I did not have any issues with the 14250's

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxlunatic,

Thanks for the info, nice to know that your cell solution works.

The 14500s I have had too much of a flat top, and the solder blob contact would need to be raised. But more important was the overall length which prevented the head from gounding. I didn't intend to power it up on the Li-ion, just playing around to see what fit.

Too bad your converter bit the dust, but still a worthwhile mod. I was looking into empty cans, and it seems different from the TnC cans, or anything else I am familiar with. Maybe I need to get one direct from Arcmania if I don't want to sacrifice my original converter.

Again, very nice. It must be one heluva pocket rocket, a nice combo of flood and throw.