Princeton Tec Arora Sale at REI

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a bunch of these in various backpacks. They're very lightweight, have a great range of settings, are very attractively priced, project a good beam - great lights.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if they use CS Nichia's now? I have an Arora that is a few years old now but I am actually looking around for something a bit brighter in a similar package. I like the 5mm flood style of light for a headlight.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking of getting a headlamp and have heard others here speak highly of the PT Eos. Not sure which to go with as it looks like there's a trade off between brightness and runtime (see specs on both below). It also looks like the Eos is more of a spot light where as the Aurora is more flood. Not versed enough in LEDs to know the difference between the Eos' Luxeon vs the Aurora's Nichia although I believe the Nichia has a bluer tint, correct?
The Eos is regularly almost twice the price @ $43 but basegear.com has it on sale for $27.99 until Sept 22nd. See http://www.basegear.com/princetoneos.html
Will wait to see what others may have to say here before I decide on one or the other.

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Eos Features
  • UL certified
  • 1-watt Luxeon LED
  • LED Optic Collimator reflector for unmatched efficiency and brightness
  • Waterproof to 1 meter
  • Focused narrow beam
  • Regulated LED for constant brightness
  • Heatsink technology
  • Lifetime manufacturer's warranty
Specifications
  • Power: 25 Lumens
  • Lamp: 1 Maxbright 1-watt LED
  • Beam: Focused narrow (up to 55 meters)
  • Batteries: 3 AAA Alkaline (included)
  • Burn Time: 6 to 60 hours (depending on brightness setting)
  • Weight: 105 g
[/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Aurora Features
  • Water resistant
  • Emergency blinking mode (for signaling)
  • Highest quality LED from Nichia
  • Lifetime manufacturer's warranty
Specifications
  • Power: 15 Lumens
  • Lamp: 3 Ultralight LEDs
  • Beam: Focused wide (up to 15 meters)
  • Batteries: 3 AAA Alkaline (included)
  • Burn Time: Up to 160 hours
  • Weight: 79 g
[/font]

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I bought some Aurora's about 5 months ago and they definitely weren't the brightest Nichias, though they were quite bright.

Out of all the headlights out there I think the Aurora is perhaps the best combo of throw and flood and price and runtime and weight.

PT Quad might be better but I haven't seen it at this price.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
I am a BIG fan of the PT Aurora! Water tight, light weight, infinitely adjustable tilt (not click/ step tilt; you always want the angle between the steps), and a very long run time.

Both of mine have now been upgraded with Nichi CS, and the head bands have been modified.

They are excellent, and I highly recommend them as gifts for people who are deploying with the military. Mine served me well, daily, for my time in the sandbox.

Thanks for posting the REI sale. I live close to an REI...

Adam

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Buy em' both!! :D

Stash one somewhere in case of...they're both worthy little H/Ls and that price on the EOS isn't bad!

Last edited: