Mid term reports - MagLEDs?

Gatsby

Enlightened
With the 2D, 3D and 4D MagLEDs (and their upgrade drop in equivalents) having been out for awhile, and preliminary reports on the 2AA and 3AA models coming in - I thought it would be interesting to solicit some opinions on the general CPF consensus on these lights.

2D - a decent upgrade but given the runtime and brightness of the 3D and 4D models, not necessarily that attractive.

3D - the brightest of the upgrades with a surprising runtime. Overall positive reviews and general surprise that Mag didn't screw it up as many expected.

4D - not quite as bright as the 3D but a very, very long runtime for the level of brightness.

2AA - some regulation and a decent, if not overwhelming upgrade.

3AA - this seems to be the love it or hate it light - brighter than the 2AA with a long "tail" of useable light but - by all appearances, next to zero regulation.

So what does the jury say?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've got 2 Mini-mags with the Niteize LED upgrade in both of them. Could anyone please tell me how the new LED mini-mag (2AA model) compares to a regular Mini-mag with the Niteize LEDs in it; in terms of brightness?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
I've got 2 Mini-mags with the Niteize LED upgrade in both of them. Could anyone please tell me how the new LED mini-mag (2AA model) compares to a regular Mini-mag with the Niteize LEDs in it; in terms of brightness?

The difference is night and day.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
SMOKES a NiteIze!!! So much more light that you can't believe it!

Of course runtime suffers. A NiteIze should go a looooooooooong way on a set of batteries!

And when TOTAL darkness is about, NiteIze ain't TOO shabby....

But M*gleds in general get a thumb up from me!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help; and the honest responses. :grin2:

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like PlayboyJoeShmoe said, Nite-Ize isn't too bad when it's total darkness. Plenty of light to get around your house. Thumbs up for it's availability, reasonable price, ease to drop in, very good runtime and plenty of light when it's total darkness. Though it's not a bad little light for poking around in computer cases and darkened closets either.

I have a MagLED in my down graded Mag85 (Mag 3D). So it gets the benefit of a borofloat lens and a cammed aluminum MOP reflector from a group by Fivemega two years ago. To be honest with you, the throw is actually pretty darn good. I'm going to say, on my acreage at night I can easily distinguish between a human, deer or coyote from 150-200 feet away. From my front porch I can light up my pump house at 50 feet (easily) and my 325 gallon propane tank at 100 feet, and my garage at 200 feet away. I give the 3D MagLED a thumbs up as well. Availability, reasonable price, easy to drop in, very good runtime, decently bright and has decent throw.

Last edited:

C4LED

Enlightened
The NiteIze red module is still very worthwhile. It's great for walking around the house at night to retain night vision or even for walking around outside if it's dark enough and you want to keep your night vision while hiking.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used my 2AA MagLED quite a bit now, and it's pretty good. No it doesn't blow away my HDS U60, Fire~FlyIII, or Surefire U2. But it's about $24. From a price/output/quality standpoint, what else competes? Plus it's got the familiar Mag form factor and name recognition. Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA competes but uses twice the batteries.

Most of Mag's current and prospective customer base are using or thinking about the incandescent 2AA Minimag. Compared to that the 2AA MagLED is like Star Trek. I think the 2AA MagLED is pretty good and will be very successful.

I don't understand the 3AA MagLED. It's just soooo long, and apparently the regulation is nearly non-existant. I just don't get what they were thinking on that one.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gatsby said:
With the 2D, 3D and 4D MagLEDs (and their upgrade drop in equivalents) having been out for awhile, and preliminary reports on the 2AA and 3AA models coming in - I thought it would be interesting to solicit some opinions on the general CPF consensus on these lights.

2D - a decent upgrade but given the runtime and brightness of the 3D and 4D models, not necessarily that attractive.

3D - the brightest of the upgrades with a surprising runtime. Overall positive reviews and general surprise that Mag didn't screw it up as many expected.

4D - not quite as bright as the 3D but a very, very long runtime for the level of brightness.

2AA - some regulation and a decent, if not overwhelming upgrade.

3AA - this seems to be the love it or hate it light - brighter than the 2AA with a long "tail" of useable light but - by all appearances, next to zero regulation.

So what does the jury say?
Don't take it for gospel that the 3D is the brightest of the upgrades. It depends on other factors, such as the particular emitter used. One of my 2Cs is brighter than either my 3D or 4D. Also, the 2D has a very long runtime.

The 3AA does have regulation as you can see in this link.....http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131898
I don't know why the 3AA runtime plot looks the way it does using alkaline batteries. It certainly looks likea lot direct drive. Using lithium batteries, the runtime plot is superb.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't really know about everyone else, but I use Lith AA and AAA in my truck lights. These lights aren't destined to get a great amount of use.

I run my M*gleds on Alkaline, as it's WAY cheaper than Lith. And at least the C/D drop ins make GREAT use of Alkaline, even if the AA models don't...

I still plan to get a 2AA model to round out the set.

Tesla

Enlightened
I can't speak to the larger MagLeds, but I own 2 of the 2AA lights and am very pleased with them. To have a light like this readily available at a brick and mortar within a few blocks is a quantum leap in terms of "average" buyer recognition and use. I don't see anything out there close to the bang for the buck that they provide.

All the comparisons I'm seeing on CandlePower Forums seem to be apples to oranges...comparing the MagLeds against lights that cost twice the money and can't be purchased except through limited distributorship is pretty pointless. If there's something out there in the $25 range that beats it, I haven't found it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SLPP4AA is one light in the $25 class that will beat it, but they're two different lights each with their own purpose. For a small compact light, I'd have to agree that it is right there on top of the heap for both performance and availability.

Tesla said:
If there's something out there in the $25 range that beats it, I haven't found it.

ps56k

Enlightened
Tesla said:
I can't speak to the larger MagLeds, but I own 2 of the 2AA lights and am very pleased with them. To have a light like this readily available at a brick and mortar within a few blocks is a quantum leap in terms of "average" buyer recognition and use. I don't see anything out there close to the bang for the buck that they provide.

All the comparisons I'm seeing on CandlePower Forums seem to be apples to oranges...comparing the MagLeds against lights that cost twice the money and can't be purchased except through limited distributorship is pretty pointless. If there's something out there in the $25 range that beats it, I haven't found it.

What about the various dropins (keeping total outlay cost to $25)
along with the MJLED mod ? I did the MJ mod to one 2AA and it's ok,
but it would be interesting to see as time goes on, how all the mods lineup against the new 2AA MagLed ?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have every variation of MagLed. I like them all. The 2C/D drop-in seems to me to provide the biggest jump in brightness over the stock incandescent counterpart. The 3C/D drop-in is the brightest of the Magleds I have, and is the whitest of ANY led light I own. I have it in a 3C and love it! The 4C/D drop-in is just a bit dimmer and a tiny bit greener than the 3 C/D drop-in, but should be great for longer runtime.
The 2AA MiniMagled simply blows a stock MiniMag out of the water. If the general public would see a direct comparison between the two, they would sell like hotcakes, I think. It's not even close. I think I'll keep a stock Minimag around with fresh batteries just so I can show people the difference. (BTW, I bet most non-flashaholics just think an LED is an LED, and don't know the difference between a 5mm and a luxeon)
The 3AA is a real winner in my book. Very bright and very white. Clearly brighter than the 2AA Magled. Yes, the form factor is a little different, being so long, but I find I can still stuff it in my pocket, or easily use the included holster. I like the way it feels in my hand. VERY impressive runtime, especially when compared to the 2AA Magled.

But why wouldn't Maglite advertise these before they came out? It would seem they could have created a pretty good buzz with the average consumer if they would have put out a TV commercial, or magazine ad. And I really find it inexcusable that their website is so far behind their products. Seriously, it would take next to no effort to update that info. That seems like they almost don't want the publicity. What's up with that?
In any case, I really like all the offerings in the Magled line. It's just a matter of the public seeing first hand the advantages the Magleds have over the incandescent versions. Once that happens, I think lots of people will have them.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have (or had a Jr -- gave it to my mother). The Jr Luxeon has a broad floody beam, whereas the 2AA MagLED beam is focusable with a narrow hotspot. I don't have both in front of me, so can't do a lux meter test. However simple wall and ceiling reflection tests comparing the 2AA MagLED to my HDS U60 shows it's about equal to the U60 on level 3 (30 lumens).

In the flashlightreviews.com test, the Jr. did about 15 output units, roughly equal to 20 lumens. So based on this, I'd expect the 2AA MagLED is a little brighter, although the comparison is inexact.

The 2AA MagLED has several advantages over the Jr, inc'l focusing beam, more output, much better throw, cheaper price, and mass retail availability. Not to mention the familiar Mag-Lite name brand, form factor and operation.

Tesla

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
The SLPP4AA is one light in the $25 class that will beat it, but they're two different lights each with their own purpose. For a small compact light, I'd have to agree that it is right there on top of the heap for both performance and availability.

Don't know where you're getting that from...The Streamlight is an excellent light...BUT...it lists for $28.95 at Bright Guy...with shipping that puts it closer to $35....does not have mass market distribution and is ugh....plastic (not a problem for me, I own the incandescent version). Plastic flashlights are viewed by much of the general public as an inherently "cheap/low quality" light. As you indicated, its 4AA format really puts it in a different category, anyway.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I think of Greg as one of the more established web dealers around, and a gem when it comes to customer service, Bright Guy is not the only web vendor that sells that light, there are other legit dealers who sell Streamlight products without having to deal with eBay scam artists or garage/bedroom operations that vanish overnight. And yes, you do have to pay for shipping from some sites, just as you have to pay sales tax when you make purchases from local retail merchants (in most states.)

Not all of the general public views plastic lights as "cheap". People who are employed in industrial/craft occupations, and public safety employees (particularly those in fire service) are quite familiar with the use and durability of non-metal bodies. Thought taking the real "general public" into account, I don't think many really care whether it is plastic or metal as much of the mass market is a bit more enlightened than you appear to be, enough to know that there are different kinds of plastic. I think your reference to the "general public" may be a more limited audience with a bit less exposure to the real world.

Tesla said:
Don't know where you're getting that from...The Streamlight is an excellent light...BUT...it lists for $28.95 at Bright Guy...with shipping that puts it closer to $35....does not have mass market distribution and is ugh....plastic (not a problem for me, I own the incandescent version). Plastic flashlights are viewed by much of the general public as an inherently "cheap/low quality" light. As you indicated, its 4AA format really puts it in a different category, anyway.