Anyone know why my Nite-Ize'd minimag would be doing this?

Jasmes

Enlightened
I installed the new bulb, and it was working fine and dandy until it randomly dropped in output level to boardline-nothing, and is very green tinted, as opposed to its original bright white beam.

Any ideas? :confused:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wish I could help. I've got 2 mini-mags, both with the Niteize LED upgrade. I never got the bright, white light that you mentioned. I've always gotten a blue tinted light that seems a bit weak. (But the longer runtimes with the LEDs, and never needing to buy new bulbs is why I went with the upgrade).

Is it possible that the 2 small wires on the bottom of the LEDs are damaged or making poor contact?

Jasmes

Enlightened
Monocrom said:
Wish I could help. I've got 2 mini-mags, both with the Niteize LED upgrade. I never got the bright, white light that you mentioned. I've always gotten a blue tinted light that seems a bit weak. (But the longer runtimes with the LEDs, and never needing to buy new bulbs is why I went with the upgrade).

Is it possible that the 2 small wires on the bottom of the LEDs are damaged or making poor contact?

Well it was bright and white compared to the current beam its putting out, it wasn't exactly powerful to begin with.

I just find it strange that it would instantly drop like it did, it wasn't a slow decrease or anything.

It doesn't seem to be any kind of damage or corrosion either... hmm...

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greenled should know about this one, He had a similar experience. I dont have the days needed to search for that thread. Maybe he will chime in? :grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
you mean when it turned on its teal in color instead of white?
usually on startup or prolonged use over a time fram ranging from 30 seconds to after 5 minutes?:ohgeez::scowl:

I think of it as some type of arc or electrical short in the regulator circuit that causes a decrease in output or abnormal output that causes white LEDs to turn teal [or cyan]:huh2:. I had this happen quite frequently, striking the bezel into the palm of your hand usually fixes the problem.
OR YOU CAN SMACK THE BEZEL ON THE NEAREST TABLE! ;) :eek:
so far I have not been able to reproduce the teal color with white single LEDs using a variable power supply and various shorting techniques. [and yes, i blew a couple fuses and burned out a couple white leds:ohgeez:], as far as I know something in Nite-izes circuit has a design flaw and that may be the reason for its cheap price:grin2:. As for the led, Im not too sure whether the leds they are are white or do they change color as Vin differs as the regulator's output fluctuates up and down. I've ran my module from 0.5V to ~4.3V <200 ma and its all white, from dim white to slightly angry blue, no cyan.:candle:

I have not been able to run my nite-ize for 10 hours without somebody picking it up and turning it off:rant::ohgeez: so theres no way of knowing whether the color changes is from heat or weakness in Voltage. :(

hope this helps, cheers

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Reverse Current?

Odd I've got one of these and it works OK. (true it isn't a lumen cannon like most, but runtime is important I think)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it out and see if there is anything corroded in the contacts for the bulb. If not (and it probably isn't), it's probably just early product failure; just take it back to the store and get another one. Stuff like that just happens with solid state electronics.

Jasmes said:
I installed the new bulb, and it was working fine and dandy until it randomly dropped in output level to boardline-nothing, and is very green tinted, as opposed to its original bright white beam.

Any ideas? :confused:

Illum

Flashaholic
Melchior said:
Reverse Current?

Odd I've got one of these and it works OK. (true it isn't a lumen cannon like most, but runtime is important I think)

its a diode, reverse current too high will blow it, too low it does nothing...

Jasmes

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
you mean when it turned on its teal in color instead of white?
usually on startup or prolonged use over a time fram ranging from 30 seconds to after 5 minutes?:ohgeez::scowl:

I think of it as some type of arc or electrical short in the regulator circuit that causes a decrease in output or abnormal output that causes white LEDs to turn teal [or cyan]:huh2:. I had this happen quite frequently, striking the bezel into the palm of your hand usually fixes the problem.
OR YOU CAN SMACK THE BEZEL ON THE NEAREST TABLE! ;) :eek:
so far I have not been able to reproduce the teal color with white single LEDs using a variable power supply and various shorting techniques. [and yes, i blew a couple fuses and burned out a couple white leds:ohgeez:], as far as I know something in Nite-izes circuit has a design flaw and that may be the reason for its cheap price:grin2:. As for the led, Im not too sure whether the leds they are are white or do they change color as Vin differs as the regulator's output fluctuates up and down. I've ran my module from 0.5V to ~4.3V <200 ma and its all white, from dim white to slightly angry blue, no cyan.:candle:

I have not been able to run my nite-ize for 10 hours without somebody picking it up and turning it off:rant::ohgeez: so theres no way of knowing whether the color changes is from heat or weakness in Voltage. :(

hope this helps, cheers

That is exactly what happened, its turned a dim teal color.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I smack it, its not going back to white. :mad:

Oh well, so much for having a cheap light to carry. :thumbsdow

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sounds like the "magic smoke" may have been released?

I had one PT Attitude do something very similar if not the same - something fried - PT replaced it promptly!