9v Safe-light Companions are brilliant, literally.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally took the plunge and ordered a couple of Safe-Light Companions, after reading recommendations by CPF members.

To say I am very impressed is understating it.

The excellent build quality, and delivery in a couple of days here in the UK is worthy of a mention. Beautifully packaged too. Worthy of "present" status.

To try them out, I put an old, 3 years installed, just replaced, smoke detector Duracell Alkaline MN1604, measured at 5.34v, into one, and a cheapy 9v carbon zinc 9v PP3 (33p from £1 shop !)(60c) , measured at 5.5v, (yes, it really is only 5.5v ) into the other. Other 9v's in the same three pack measured the same.

Initial brightness was better than I expected, similar in output to my faithful 12 led Ghost2, which lives in my dressing gown pocket for my nightly nocturnal excursions around the house.

Has what I would call a long, strong beam, enough to light up plants in my large back garden. Tight beam focussed nicely by the lens in front of the SMT LED, with some sidespill from the clear soft plastic housing.

Slightly less bright than SMJLED PR2.

I left them both on high beam, and waking up, after both lights had been on for 7 hours, there was still a respectable output from both torches.

Yes, lower than initial output, but still enough to wander around in the pitch dark indoors.

What impressed me most though, was when I measured the respective PP3 voltages (using my emilion tester), was that both PP3's measured around 0.7v.

Yes, that's less than ONE volt !

What wonderful electronics.

Eight hours now, and still going strong. Don't forget, this is on a used Duracell alkaline and a really awful cheapy Zinc Carbon (non alkaline) PP3 measured at much less than 9v initially.

I can totally believe the claim on the box, that the RT on normal Alkaline is 40 hours+.

Cost per hour so far...5p (10c)

Now I just need to put in some brand new Alkalines (the Safe-light companion is also supplied with a PP3 battery from new)

Update: 12 hours now !. Still giving out enough illumination to see by, just, volts on both batteries dropped now to 0.4v, wow.

Remember, this is on two already depleted PP3 9v batteries, not fresh alkalines.....

Further update: 26 hours now !! Batteries reading 0.3v, lights very dim, but still usable, just, strobe still works !! Amazing electronics.

I'm a convert.

PS: I have also had excellent e-mail communication from James Meyer, the
Executive Manager, Safe-Light Industries (Europe) Ltd.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
James has earned the respect of may of us CPFers!! In his position, he doesn't have to communicate with us - yet he does and backs up what they sell as well! He's top notch for sure!!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am so pleased with my "Companions" that I have ordered 4 more.

I have lots of rooms in my house, and I go camping & hiking too. Excellent with the night glow feature should I drop the torch.

The "spot" beam is really good too.

Now where can I get PP3 alkalines ?

Actually, found them on ebay, Duracell ProCells, £1 each, works out at less than 3p (5c) per hour, my lowest running cost torch yet.

Even cheaper than my SMJLED PR2's.

Last edited:

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Sigman said:
James has earned the respect of may of us CPFers!! In his position, he doesn't have to communicate with us - yet he does and backs up what they sell as well! He's top notch for sure!!

I could not agree more. James is a terrific guy to deal with. We have recently been carrying them on www.EDCdepot.com and James has been extremely helpful with the whole process. I wish every distributor/manufacturer worked like him.

I have been a fan of Safe-light since they first came out with the old PAL Light. I still have my first one. It sits on my nightstand (7 years and only I changed the battery once) and it even survived my pit using it as a chew toy. I think I have more Safe Brights than any other light in my house.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still on original pre-used PP3's, 26 hours, 0.3v (cf 9v), still usable. Strobe OK.

Original post updated.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
Yup, they're excellent. My son has had one in his bedroom for about a month and its doing really well. its been running for a total of 4 months now and can still produce a very usable beam. My 7 year olds torture-testing routine is probably more extreme than anything the military could invent
lolsign.gif

Simon

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Safe-Light Companion has a removable extra side panel, for substitution with the Belt Clip / Magnet.

This is an ideal place to put my name and mobile phone number, and postcode, then if I do mislay the Companion, there is a chance it may be returned.

Then again, I think the finder will find it so useful, that they will probably keep it !

Nice to know that the PP3 holder section will take a PP3 battery with small label on it too, with date and initial voltage of 9v battery.

It also has room for my usual ID label, as above.

With regards to the RT using previously depleted batteries, I stopped the test at 26 hours, battery volts reading 0.25v and 0.35v !

Installed with normal, new alkalines now.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
I'm considering it. Any possibilty of beamshots?

No need, they are brilliant, well worth the money. ( which is not a lot )

Beamshot proves nothing, they do exactly what they say they do, well.

Night locater glow, strobe, you cannot beam shot anyway.

As to the high output, more than adequate output for more than 40 hours for less than 3p (5c) per hour.

And the speedy service you get from the manufacturer is exemplary.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
does it project any throw at all? and how does that cap on the bottom of the casing fit, securely?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
does it project any throw at all? and how does that cap on the bottom of the casing fit, securely?

As per manufacturers website.

https://www.palights.com

Yes, it's a good throw, indoors and out, spot beam.

Other versions have wider beam, more of a flood.

Some side spill from opaque lens housing to assist in indoor room illumination.

Works like human eye, lots of light in centre, less illumination peripheral.

Casing very secure, to access battery, two long captive screws.

Google will also give you other websites.

Extremely well constructed, substantial, solid, it works.

Thoroughly recommended.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I do not know if it has been mentioned but on the new Super Brights you can shut off the constant glow. I like to keep it on since it makes them easier to find in the dark, but you never know when you might be called up for a secret mall ninja mission. The battery change is also much easier than on the old PAL lights.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
I am so pleased with my "Companions" that I have ordered 4 more.

The four SafeLight Companions I ordered, arrived this morning.

As did the SafeLight Superbrights I ordered too.

Next day delivery, excellent.

Excellent communications with James too.

Thank you, very satisfied customer.

UK sales on:

http://www.safe-light.com/pages/buyonlinemain.html

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift said:
Dear abvidledUK
could you tell me if the SafeLight and Superbright are both the same brightness on high?

I presume you mean the SafeLight Companion, and the Safelight Superbright.

Companion = spot

Superbright = flood

So difficult to compare.

However, Companion spot subjectively appears brighter, as light is spread over a smaller area, and with greater throw.

Shining both through A4 paper, to diffuse beams somewhat, again Companion appears slightly brighter.

My suggestion, buy one of each, try them out, and them buy more of the one you prefer !!

I actually like them both.

See this posting for my preferences.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1590047&postcount=27

Last edited: