is it advisable to use "freelance" on a resume?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
writing up a resume, i'm not sure if it would be a good idea to use "freelance" on a resume when applying for a job. i guess the alternative would be something "independent solutions provider" if there are any HR managers or anyone with experience with this around here, that would be of great help. i have a feeling freelance might look good for some but juvenile and not serious for others.

any other, perhaps non-orthodox, advice regarding resume writing tips?

thanks,
Leon

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freelance or consultant is fine... I don't think either word will matter to a recruiter. Just don't lie and say you were an employee, because after you're hired your new employer can call your old employers to verify your hire dates and position/title. (They can't verify or check your background before you're hired in the entire U.S. AFAIK.)

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd couple the term to include an achievement. For example, if you were a freelance writer, you could say: 2001-2006 Freelance writer. Sold stories to 25 major publications, including a cover story for The Flashaholic.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
Josey said:
I'd couple the term to include an achievement. For example, if you were a freelance writer, you could say: 2001-2006 Freelance writer. Sold stories to 25 major publications, including a cover story for The Flashaholic.

that goes without saying :)

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leeoniya said:
writing up a resume, i'm not sure if it would be a good idea to use "freelance" on a resume when applying for a job. i guess the alternative would be something "independent solutions provider" if there are any HR managers or anyone with experience with this around here, that would be of great help. i have a feeling freelance might look good for some but juvenile and not serious for others.

any other, perhaps non-orthodox, advice regarding resume writing tips?

thanks,
Leon

You should use the word "consultant" instead of freelance. The freelance word is a casual word that is suitable in essay. A resume must have consultation service. I work as both consultant and regular employee hence I write it on my resume.