TnC SF-18650 + BBH = THROW (now w/beamshots)

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a copy from my post from the thread in which I purchased the BBH, but I thought it would get it's more deserved attention over here. :)

DFiorentino said:
Received the BBH today and :wow: . This thing THROWS down some serious light! Oh and yes, it fit like a glove on my XY0S SF-18650. :rock: The ano is much more matte compared to my SF's very gloss finish, but who cares! Does it look funny...yes. Should you all want one...YES!

Folks, this is THE turbohead. I tested the XY0S BBH (750mA) against my WX0S TM (1000mA). The TM in the KT produces a very nice spot, very large spill and is smooooth. The TM in the SRTH has a much more intense and tighter spot, but retains the large spill. The BBH has an even tighter spot and a smaller, but brighter spill area. I was stunned to say the least! :faint: Now, there is a slight 'donut-like' void, but it is no different than the luxV with the standard 27mm reflector. Only visible when white wall hunting. If this thing is a light sabre with the luxV, it'll be a laser beam with a luxIII.

So, there you have it. For those of you that were uncertain, the BBH fits just fine on TnC's new SF line.

Beamshots

Here is my sorry attempt at some outdoor beamshots. Unfortunately, I set up my camera (manual exposure the same for all shots) by starting with the weakest of beams. By the time I got to the BBH shots, I was still a little overexposed and the details are obliterated. :ohgeez:I would have redone them, but I was getting eaten up by mosquitos. :mad: The tree is about 35' away from the camera/light source. If you look close you can see the beam in the BBH shots. It's pronounced in the last shot. I busted the bulb in my MiniHID or else I would have included that as a comparison because I think the BBH/luxV would have easily held it's own.

TW0J 1000mA / A3 / 1xR123 (3.0V)
tw0ja3tn6.jpg

WX0S 1000mA / KT / 2x18650
wx0skteq3.jpg

WX0S 1000mA / SRTH / 2x18650
wx0ssrthfd1.jpg

XY0S 750mA / BBH / 1x18650
xy0sbbh18650wb5.jpg

XY0S 750mA / BBH / 2xR123 (3.0V)
xy0sbbh2x3vr123dy1.jpg

-DF

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TnC SF-18650 + BBH = THROW

Hehe, it looks like a plunger :lolsign:

Got any long distance beam shots?

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll see what I can get this weekend, but my residential location isn't the best for these types of beamshots. If I can't get any decent shots, I'll get some at work on Monday. :)

-DF

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi DF,

I'm glad you put these together. In fact this was one reason the TnC SF series is VIP head compatible, so that it could take these Carley or BBH heads. I've been playing with the protos for 6 months and if you think this throws, try a Lux3 U bin driven hard. Even before that we had some ring adaptors to put this head on the keylux to test it. The highest lux readings I've ever had off a single LED came out of the TnC SF and the 3" head. I used a flupic and a DB1500 which was even higher. In fact I was getting readings 50%-100% higher than VIP 750mas modded with U bins.

To digress however, unless you want a laser like beam then the LuxV in this is simply awesome. After trying a few TM modules I was kind of scratching my head over the raves since this setup simply stomps them. I'm building an overdriven X bin can now to see what it can do in this setup.

In terms of the donut, another cool thing is with the TnC can tool you can back the can out to adjust the beam this way quite a bit. I am able to remove any donut and increase or decrease throw.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots added.

Bogus1, I agree completely. The tower modules are 'nice', but this combo really leaves them in the shadows. (Pun intended.) At least you can make some really beautiful hosts for the towers. I think I'll try a luxIII just for stuff and giggles. Possibly a K2 powered by 2pDB750's. I do think that the practicality of it will be just about zero, however. :laughing: This thing is just plain fun. I decided to keep the can at its standard height. The donut isn't that bad and when it use, I don't even notice it.

-DF

vacuum3d

Enlightened
DF,
Could you also do a comparison shot of an A3? I just acquired an SRTH, (thanks to Bogus1), and I'm sitting on a Tower Module kit. If the SRTH w/ TM isn't much different from the A3, I probably don't want to waste the time to put together a TM. Too bad I don't own a TnC SF, or I would have jumped on the other BBH that is still available for sale.

thx,
ernest

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
vacuum3d, while the SRTH/TM and A3 are both thowers in their own right, they really are different animals. The SRTH/TM gives a relatively large and intense spot with a LARGE spill area. The A3 is similar in description, but both the spot and spill are smaller. I don't currently have a luxV LE to use with my A3s, but I do have a luxIII running at 1000mA. I'll take a shot of it tonight. If I have time today, maybe I'll build a luxV LE. In the meantime, here is a post by TrueBlue with a comparison to tide you over. :)

-DF

vacuum3d

Enlightened
DF, appreciate your input and for the A3 pix. Well, I don't have a TnC nor the BBH. I'll have to settle for a TM in SRTH. ;)

thx,
ernest