Looking for info to buy or build very bright flashlight

PuZo

Newly Enlightened
Hey, ive actually been looking for a forum liek this and finaly found it. Im looking to buy/build a portable flashlight, basically as long as I can carry it around with me, I wouldnt mind an external battery source, once again I am new and dont know much. Is there something I have to look for when buying/building a very bright flashlight? Im looking at basically distance, not so much area, probably around 30-50 meters.

Would something like this be good?

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72596.asp#

I guess my other main concern is with that specific flashlight, how far away would you need to be to not blind someone?

Ive read abit and learn that the scientific measuerment for light/brightness is candels? Im not sure, so can someone point me in a dierction, faq? Ive been looking at the forums and dont knwo the difference between all the tersm and which type of flashlight I shoudl be looking for. Thanks

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of handheld flashlights that will reach 50 meters without a problem. Perhaps if you outlined your intended use and needs, more specific suggestions can be made.

You'll be able to find spotlights like the one that you saw in the Hammacher catalog for much less at other resources. Costco carries one that is very similiar if not exactly like that, for $24.95, at some of their stores.

Macaw

Enlightened
I believe that Aldi's (yeah, the grocery store) will be getting in some 5,000,000 Candlepower portable spotlights for $20 each later next week. Here in the midwest, they bring out the new stuff on Thursdays. I will be getting one myself. Go here: http://aldi.us/ and click on "special purchases for Sept, 10, 2006" to check out the light. Also they will be getting in a really nice head mounted LED light with 1 red and 2 white 5mm leds, and 1 luxeon LED for $17. I'll be getting one of those also. :naughty:

Last edited:

ecnica

Newly Enlightened
Sam's club here in Plano, Tx carries a similar light and I believe the price was $22.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to suggest staying away from Hammacher for anything "seriously" flashlight-related. That light they're selling for $60 can be had at Costco for $30 (if not exactly the same product, it's devilishly close enough, and probably a superior product). Do a search in this forum for "Thor Cyclops" and then run right out to buy one. ;-)

If you want to build your own special light I cannot encourage you enough to do so. It's a very satisfying kitchen table experience.

Macaw

Enlightened
PuZo said:
Is it possible to pay someone here to build one?

You have opened a portal into flashaholism that will lead you into the inner realm, hold on to your britches, especially the part that contains your wallet...

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
PuZo said:
Normally we pay members to *not* build more lights. In a number of areas (I'm looking at you, Singapore) we were running into problems with members upsetting bird migration patterns... (G)

PuZo

Newly Enlightened
Ken_McE said:
Normally we pay members to *not* build more lights. In a number of areas (I'm looking at you, Singapore) we were running into problems with members upsetting bird migration patterns... (G)

lol wow. Im just going to use mine in a big plot of land, well which is basiclly like a fortest type, im in Canada, so I guess you other NAers knwo what im talking about. So thats why, I dont know if tehre a ways to make a flashlight wider, brighter, distance etc so thats why im looking for help from someone

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will cost a lot more and may not even be as reliable. Why don't you just buy one that is mass produced with cheap labor?

PuZo said: