Problem with SureFire M6

Knight

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post here, hope I'm not wrong here, I have an short question, is it possible to disassemble the lens out of SureFire's M6 lamp head? If yes, with special tools? If not, how can I clean inside best and what is for example when lens is broken, how replace? I own Version M6-CB. The Problem is dust or whatever in the inside and it makes me insane.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Max

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

I think a member here has a tool that he made to remove the "window" on the SF.M6. Also, you could send the SureFire M6 back to SureFire for repair/cleaning if it does not fully satisfy you. But the wait can be "insane" enough.

Hope you get your troubles resolved and Enjoy!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could remove the bulb and use compressed air or a bulb blower to remove the dust from inside.

Or since it doesn't effect the quality of light, and you feel it's OCD causing the feelings, you could do like I and leave it for theraputic reasons!

Knight

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Greetings and Welcome!

I think a member here has a tool that he made to remove the "window" on the SF.M6.
Thanks for this information, so I have to remove the crenelated bezel, although I see no threads. It's feels very strong without any tools, can you ask this member for me how to turn, left or right?

CHC said:
Also, you could send the SureFire M6 back to SureFire for repair/cleaning if it does not fully satisfy you. But the wait can be "insane" enough.
I heard it's always very fast? Think it would be to expensive with shipping from europe etc.

Thanks for both answers, seerymember.php?u=13746 I think it's better I clean it when I have the lens in my fingers :thanks:

greetings Max

kumar762

Banned
ugh . . . who told you it was fast . . . .I personally wouldn't call it that, and I've sent quite a few things to them.I'm not bashing surefire or anything they're an awesome company all I'm saying is that they could kick it up a notch when it comes to shipping things to the owners.

I've got an L2,my catologs,and a tailcap coming soon from them and I've been waiting for ahwile.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knight,

It's a very NOT fun and tricky business to remove the bezel from a SureFire light. And cleaning from the reflector bore is also tricky and prone to going wrong in a hurry. Some compressed "air" products can actually leave a film on the surface of the lens and reflector. I've had this happen to me. If you want to go this route, make sure that your can doesn't warn not to use on optical equipment.

But listen, how big a deal is this? A few dust and debris particles? FWIW, my suggestion is that if it doesn't affect beam quality or steal any light, JUST LIVE WITH IT. Get over your insanity. Your M6 head will function just as well with a bit of dust in it, as without.

If you just can't get over it, and it's driving you insane, then you'd best send it back to SureFire, because chances are good--more than good--that anything you do to remedy the situation will only make it worse in the end.

Bottom line: live with it as is, or send it back. Those are my suggestions. And I'm not afraid to modify lights or take things apart, by the way. I'm just realistic about how difficult it is to achieve the kind of perfection most of us here at CPF are looking for. Even just cleaning--REALLY cleaning--a glass lens to perfection can be difficult. And cleaning reflectors is even more of a nightmare.

Just be careful. Remember the first rule: DO NO HARM. Don't make the patient worse.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:
It's a very NOT fun and tricky business to remove the bezel from a SureFire light.
That's generally right, but you can get lucky. I have two SF lights on which I could remove the bezel ring without tools. They forgot to glue it. On my first KL5 the bezel was leaking, but I got a new one on warranty.

However, if the bezel doesn't budge, then it's really tricky to remove.

Knight, it's a normal "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" thread, i.e. turn bezel counter-clockwise to loosen.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact SF and ask them how to clean out the light and replace a broken lens.

If I recall correctly, I had a problem a number of years back with a brand new light with dust/lint inside the lens and reflector area (I think it was an E series), and SF told me to remove the head, take out the bulb, then "wash out" the inside by pouring in rubbing alcohol (or something--I don't remember exactly what I used), swishing the liquid around, then pouring it out. Leave the head out until completely dry before reassembling the light.

Caveat: I don't recall if my light had a glass or plastic lens, so this solution might not work for your light. Also, it has been some time, so procedures may have changed.

Bottom line, my best advice is to contact SF directly for current info.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don't pour any liquid into a shock isolated bezel such as the Millennium TurboHead. The shock isolation uses a Neoprene strip as well as various other components likely to make it extremely difficult to completely dry out the inside of the bezel.

Al