Huntlight FT-01 DOA

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I recieved my huntlight today, and the first thing I did was put a protected 18650 in it. The LED lights dimly for around a second. I found that the light is shorting out the battery - lucky I was using a protected cell.

Anyone have this problem or am I the only one? Looks like this one willhave to be sent back, which is really annoying as I was hoping to use this on my mountain bike. :awman:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a used one and it was shorted when I received it. Mine shorted with CR123's in it. I had it on for about 5 seconds and the batteries got HOT. I found that the emitter wiring was short-circuiting on the bottom of the reflector. If you unscrew the electronics from the reflector, there should be a fat o-ring in there to prevent this from happening.

I've had intermittent trouble with the switch on the one I bought new, but I contacted JSBurlys, and Jon is sending out a new switch. I find that the switch is really the weak point in the light--everything else is fairly well-built. In the meantime, I took the switch out of my dead light, taken it apart and improved the operation and feel of it. I will post a how-to on this with pictures fairly soon. After the tweaks to the switch, my FT-01 has become one of my favorite lights.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I took apart the head, and I see where it could short. So I took the reflector off the LED module, and it still shorts out the battery... :( I guess there must be a fault in the LED module itself.

Also, I see what you mean about the switch... I'll keep an eye out for you mod. :)

HiltiHome

Enlightened
NutSAK, MikeHunt79,

Please let us now what's wrong with the switch.

I own myself three FT01, no problem with the switch either.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's anything to worry about, really. My particular switch had too much lubricant applied inside it when it was manufactured, causing it to stick and lose contact. I cleaned out most of the lube and stretched a spring inside, and the feel and operation of it is much improved. Upon taking it apart (which is very easy), it doesn't appear to me to be a very durable switch. As stated, I will try to post pics and tips about it soon.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh2: .... Maybe the light is drawing so much current that the protection circuit in the battery is kicking in and protecting the battery. Make sure that protected batt. is well charged , or low voltage prot. may be activating in the batt.

Try using 3v primary's in it just for a few moments - to see if it will burn.

A circuit may be *shorted* preventing current from reaching it's intended target ( the LED )..... but I doubt the battery is being *shorted* by the light .

(The battery isn't being shorted unless there is direct low resistance *short* connection directly between the positive and negative points on the battery)

............... TMG/:grin2:

MikeHunt79 said:
I recieved my huntlight today, and the first thing I did was put a protected 18650 in it. The LED lights dimly for around a second. I found that the light is shorting out the battery - lucky I was using a protected cell.

Anyone have this problem or am I the only one? Looks like this one willhave to be sent back, which is really annoying as I was hoping to use this on my mountain bike. :awman:

HiltiHome

Enlightened
T.M.G.
FT01 draws 750mA from a 18650 cell, that equals 0,3C.
Any 18650 can handle this, except a defective one.

MikeHunt79,
Did you measure resistance of the led modul? Reading should be 5MegaOhm or even more.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
NutSAK,

I got my three FT01 recently, they all are new versions with tri wing screws holding the clip.

When i get a new light, i'm looking for things to improof, but FT01 seems to be perfect.

The switch works very well, smooth feeling, well-defined click, not too stiff, not too loose

Maybe yours is different...

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, mine just had too much lube in it. It worked fine after cleaning out the lube. Yours may have been manufactured on a different day and it doesn't have too much lube in it.

Mine is the new version also, so I doubt it is different. The older "dead" one I have has different knurling, says "FT01" on it instead of my newer "FT01TJ", and it has the same switch.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
T.M.G.

My respect goes to you.. (sorry for my poor english)

Got my Xenon 3,7V LA from AW today, fits perfectly and it's a nice part to make the HuntLight a LEGO system.

Current draw from 18650 is ~2,2A, runtime is ~1hour.
Very nice beam with minor artefacts, just like the LED modul .

Greets

Heinz

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing:
..... Sorry .... sometimes I get too sarclistic

Glad you like your Xenon .... Hilti

I hope MikeHunt79 gets his light working .

later ............... TMG/:grin2:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only used primaries in mine...good solid performance...no problems what-so-ever.

I'm sure that somebody else posted about using 18650's and killing their Huntlight a few weeks ago though.

CFU

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2:

But I thought that was one of the main selling points of the FT-01.

That it was designed to use 18650's..

How could one 3.7v battery cause it more harm than two 3.0v batteries .... :huh: ?????

...................... TMG/:grin2: .... (nice mode ON)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
So what's new about the FT01TJ?

I don't know if there is anything new. It's physically the same internally and externally as the older body I have with the "FT01" designation, aside from the aforementioned knurling texture.

My guess is that "TJ" represents the first and last characters of the emitter bin.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User said:

I'm sure that somebody else posted about using 18650's and killing their Huntlight a few weeks ago though.

The posts that I saw about someone killing their FT01 stated that they were using 3.7V RCR123's.

That post is here, post #52.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aye, I stand corrected...that was the post I remember reading.
ohgeez.gif

CFU