Smallest headlight??? AA or AAA batteries

Chuck Witherspoon

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a headlight that is small and lightweight. I was thinking about the Energizer LED Essentials Headlamp (2 leds and 1 red). I was hoping to use NIMH AAA's. It really isn't that bright, but size is the main concern. Anything comparible is size that is a better light?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Princeton Tec Quad is a winner! If you want something that is even smaller (but won't work as well on NiMH) try the Petzl Zipka.

-Goatee

nzbazza

Enlightened
In the 3x AAA battery class we have Princeton Tec EOS with a Lux1, or the PT Quad with 4x 5mm LED's, Black Diamond have the Spot with Lux1 and 3mm LED's, Petzl have the Tikka XP with a Lux1.

All are excellent headlamps but slightly different. All are able to use either alks, nimh's or lithiums. IMO either of the EOS or Quad are your best choice: rugged, waterproof and provide regulated output.

The River Rock 0.5W/Streamlight Enduro is another very good lightweight headlamp.

If you don't mind using CR123A batteries then either the Nuwai HLX-712L or Streamlight Argo HP are fantastic.

There are smaller/lighter headlamps available. These tend to use small coin or button cells and really only of use for in an emergency.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
nzbazza said:
In the 3x AAA battery class we have Princeton Tec EOS with a Lux1, or the PT Quad with 4x 5mm LED's, Black Diamond have the Spot with Lux1 and 3mm LED's, Petzl have the Tikka XP with a Lux1.

All are excellent headlamps but slightly different. All are able to use either alks, nimh's or lithiums. IMO either of the EOS or Quad are your best choice: rugged, waterproof and provide regulated output.

The River Rock 0.5W/Streamlight Enduro is another very good lightweight headlamp.

If you don't mind using CR123A batteries then either the Nuwai HLX-712L or Streamlight Argo HP are fantastic.

There are smaller/lighter headlamps available. These tend to use small coin or button cells and really only of use for in an emergency.
nzbazza,

can the spot be mod'd easily? Can you get access to the 5mm's and/or the luxeon? I heard the bins they come w/ really suck...

Thanks,

Jared

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are great reviews of headlamps. You can sort by clicking the headings.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm
You can see the Energizer got a pretty low rating.

I think the smallest in order are:
BD Ion (small weird battery)
PT Scout (4x2032 coin cells)
Gerber Tracer (1xAAA)
Streamlight Enduro (2xAAA)

The Princton Tec and Petzl 3xAAA models are very good, I own most of them. The Petzl models tend to be a bit smaller and lighter, but the PT models are much more waterproof. They all seem to work fine or even better on Nimh. If you care about weights I can probably get that for you.

nzbazza

Enlightened
@ jar3ds

can the spot be mod'd easily? Can you get access to the 5mm's and/or the luxeon? I heard the bins they come w/ really suck...

The Spot is very easy to take apart. Remove the batteries, undo 2 screws, and push on the plastic lens and the whole assembly (lens, reflector, circuit board with lux and LED's) pops out. from there it is very easy to unsolder/resolder new LED's in place.

My spot lux bin code is RYAJW. Not fantastic but bright enough and the slight purple violet tint is only noticeable when compared with a truly white light source.

My biggest problem with the Spot is not that it is unregulated nor it's pretty weak IPX4 rating (there's being a few storms I've out in where the inside of the Spot is being completely saturated) its the angle adjustment ratchet is not stiff enough! (I like to look where I'm going, not at my toes)

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Chuck Witherspoon said:
I am looking for a headlight that is small and lightweight. I was thinking about the Energizer LED Essentials Headlamp (2 leds and 1 red). I was hoping to use NIMH AAA's. It really isn't that bright, but size is the main concern. Anything comparible is size that is a better light?

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the Energizer Essentials headlamp. I own one, and took it out on a couple of early morning runs. There is no seal on the back, allowing moisture to easily penetrate inside the battery compartment. The back of the battery compartment presses mercilessly on your forehead, no matter how much you adjust the headband.

A far better headlamp can be found at your local Target Store - it's the River Rock 2AAA .5w headlamp. It's the same headlamp as the Streamlight Enduro recently reviewed in flashlightreviews.com. The light output is a bit on the bluish side, but nothing too extreme.

I've taken this headlamp on dozens of early morning runs, and not a drop of moisture penetrates the battery compartment. Also took this headlamp on a 5 day, 4 night backpacking adventure in the bottom of the Grand Canyon and never even needed to change the batteries during the trip.

You'll get more than 20 hours on low power and about 4 hours on high with this nice headlamp. Cost: $14.99.