Sharapova vs. Henin-Hardenne

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight on CBS @ 7:00 pm CST the US Open Tennis women's finals will be aired.

I like watching Justine because she's skilled, graceful, aggressive and tiny.

I like watching Maria because she's skilled, graceful, aggressive and well, "She feels pretty."

Should be a good match.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I too will be watching this match.

Being a lifelong Tennis fan, I truly enjoy the electric atmosphere that a night session at the U.S. Open brings.

Enjoy!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent match.

Sharapova wins it!

She's the real deal and at just 19 years of age I hope she'll be great for the sport for many years.

Last edited:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Icebreak,

It was a solid match and I was pleased Maria won.

She does have a solid game and clearly power is her biggest ally. I am hoping that in time she will also be able to add more dimension to her game.

BTW, nice to see another Tennis fan on the CPF!

All My Best,
John

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Never really enjoyed women's matches.

But Wimbledon is fun. Well, when the court doesn't look all trashed up from previous matches.

Played on hard, green clay, red clay, grass...grass was by far the most fun. You can play without a real chance of hurting yourself. The ball moves a bit faster when it bounces but it's enough to keep things interesting.

I've lost interest in tennis, but I'll watch a fine serve-volley like Stefan Edberg all day...those were the good days...lots of net play...:)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad Sharapova won, too. Too bad I fell asleep during the match, though! I've seen Sharapova in person (playing) at the Home Depot Center (Morgan Chase Invitational) and at the Staples Center (can't remember which it was, but I think it's always the last big tournament of the year.) My other, better half is a complete tennis addict. She watches every single match that comes on TV or Cable, and she's always checking the scores like it's the most important thing of the day. Good thing I like tennis! We always attend a couple of the big matches each year, too.

I'm pretty much interested in most of the racquet sports--Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis, and Raquetball. I play them all, too. I'm best at Badminton, but my ankles don't like it anymore, so now I'm playing Table Tennis. I used to think I was good at it, since I always used to win against the people I played, but now that I've joined a TT club where people have been playing for many years (many decades in a lot of cases), I'm finding out I really suck. I'm actually the worst. Yesterday, I got beat by a very talented 8 or 9 year old (not a joke). I'm getting better, though.

borax

Newly Enlightened
Trashman said:
I'm glad Sharapova won, too. Too bad I fell asleep during the match

Did you mute your TV? That girl is loud! :lolsign:

I've seen her twice in person, that shriek of hers is insane.

She's a good player, but has a lot to learn still, especially with her volley, but she's still very young and has plenty of years left to become even better. Definitely plan on hearing her name more often in tennis in the future.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I am a true Tennis addict. My CPF screen name is derived from my Tennis Racquet, the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1.

I am a fair player, though age has taken its toll on me.

Truth be told, I know far more of Tennis equipment than I do of Flashlights.

In 2000 I worked in the Stringing Room of the Ericsson Open (previously the Lipton and currently the Nasdaq Pro 100). And this year I almost got a job training, to work travelling to work on equipment, on the Pro Tour, for one of the few companies who specialize in that field. Unfortunately that fell through.

In any event, I love Tennis and it is great to see other Tennis fans here as well.

All My Best,
John

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Late Night with Dave Letterman just came on. I'm not much of a fan of Letterman or Leno. I like Conan and really like Craig Ferguson. But Letterman and Leno have the great time slots and therefore have the A list guests. Anyway, Maria Sharapova is one of Dave's guests tonight.

This should be interesting no matter how Dorky Dave behaves. Sometimes he's OK.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like Icebreak and I have the same taste in late night TV. Leno used to be ok, a long time ago, but he's getting worse. He was really good when he subbed for Johnny Carson. I used to love David Letterman about 20 years ago (can you believe he's been on that long?). Sometimes his "top ten" is pretty funny. Conan is consistently hillarious, and Craig Ferguson always surprises me how entertaining he is. I prefer them both to the first two metioned. Actually, they're both my favorite late night TV hosts.

I'll check out Letterman tonight. Thanks for heads up, Icebreak.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Johnny was the king of conversation. Nowadays Leno and Letterman only give their guests a few minutes for an interview. Back in the day, The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was more like a get together with interesting people interacting with each other and Johnny held court.

Anyway, Dave's interview with Maria was pretty good. He didn't get dorky. She gave him a couple of shots. He was cool about it. Darn likeable kid.

Last edited:

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
Dave is a prick, sorry to the mods, but anyone who has had any contact with him will admit it. Leno at least tries to treat those guests who are not his cronies with some respect, Dave thinks he is God's gift to us and he is a bum.

I really like both Conan and Craig, think they do a good job, Craig has a soft side he shows from time to time, that I really respect.

I had the chance to sit very close to MS last fall in Ohare Airport in a Airlines VIP room. She was traveling with a human mountain who said nothing but nodded at what ever she said, I suspect body guard, and a moderately young woman of about 30?. There was a youngish girl in the VIP room who wanted and autograph, and she walked up but stopped about 10 feet away waiting to be noticed, and as soon as MS noticed her, she was very very accomodating, She asked the girl if she had a camera and the girls mom(assumption) said that they had packed it in the checked luggage, She pulled a camera out of her bag and handed it to man-mountain and said some russian and he took ten or so pics of her and MS, MS and little girl and mom, then handed the camera to the mom and said it is gift to the girl, maybe her camera contract does that or she just was being generous.. Not a fancy camera, but a point and shoot digital none the less.

I was quite stunned when she stood up, I did not know she was as big as she is. She has arms on her, and she must be close to six feet tall. And those legs, whooooo my. Any way, she was on the same flight as me to Bradenton Fl where she lives, Not a lick of star behavior at all.

Last edited:

scuba

Enlightened
Sharapova is a fantastic player but I can't help the fact that the screaming is getting on my nerves.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
guntotin_fool -

Great story...really great story. It brought me a smile as I was thinking she actually is as unassuming and natural as she seems to be.

K-T

*Moderator*
borax said:
Did you mute your TV? That girl is loud! :lolsign:

I've seen her twice in person, that shriek of hers is insane.

To be honest, I can't keep myself to watch the women matches for very long as all that shrieking is pretty annoying. There were times when this shrieking wasn't the general rule. :shrug:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
It seems odd that the players expect complete silence when they serve, then they make these obnoxious grunting and screaming noises when they hit the ball. Nobody used to that. Why can't they hit the ball without waking up the neighborhood barnyard animals?

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Trashman said:
I'm best at Badminton, but my ankles don't like it anymore, so now I'm playing Table Tennis. I used to think I was good at it, since I always used to win against the people I played, but now that I've joined a TT club where people have been playing for many years (many decades in a lot of cases), I'm finding out I really suck. I'm actually the worst. Yesterday, I got beat by a very talented 8 or 9 year old (not a joke). I'm getting better, though.
Yeah, TT is a great game once you figure how to really play it. I used to play all the time but haven't done much in the past few years. Don't know anyone locally who plays or has a table and not enough time to go to a club.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
grumble grumble - US open, grumble. They fly airplanes over my house so they won't disturb the players, they stop my train at an extra stop, and it's extra crowded

Grumble - Hate the US open

Grumble

borax

Newly Enlightened
I remember after Sharapova won Wimbledon, she started getting in trouble and getting a lot of complaints for being so loud...But instead of doing something about it, a lot of the other women started getting really loud too. And now the men are starting to do it a lot more as well. It's the new standard now. It's completely understandable every now and then that you rip the ball and grunt or over stretch to get something, etc. But not every hit.

They need to get a rule in there about it, if the players feel that grunting, etc makes them hit the ball better (and it doesn't), that's fine with me, but it's hard to want to show up to a match without bringing ear plugs.

I go to Sacramento Capitols matches all the time during summer, they're pretty quiet out on the court, even when the big names show up.

Maybe a ball gag for Sharapova? :naughty:

I kid...I kid. Anyways, now I'm just ranting, time to satisfy my CPF addiction and browse other forums. :drool: