home led

SGT DICE

Newly Enlightened
Hello everything thanks for viewing this. I'm new to this site so if i miss something or ask some stupid question, sorry. I'm trying to remodel my inlaws house and want to use leds to light up as much of the place as possible and hopefully be as enviormentally freindly as possible, but im kinda lost does anyone have any sugestions? any and all will be appriciated. thanks

Martin

Enlightened
Welcome to the CPF, SGT DICE. Enjoy your time in here.

Are you aware that LEDs are relatively dim ? You'll need lots of them to replace a traditional 60 W bulb. I bought a 100 LED lighting fixture using 5mm LEDs. I feel it was not as bright as a traditional 25 W bulb. So it needs tons of LEDs to be bright. This will make it expensive and complicated.

LEDs have a nasty bluish-white light color. Turns the house into a ghost-house. My wife complained heavily when I did this. Today you can get warmer-colored LEDs, but these are not as bright.
LEDs don't really last 100,000 h as they say. I find that in a 100 LED cluster lamp, the first one fails the first day. Well, they are still more reliable than traditional bulbs but because you need so many, the overall reliability is not that nice any more.

I am still using flourescent energy saving bulbs for rooms were the light stays on for some time, standard incandescent light bulbs where I just need light for a few minutes.
However LEDs are great for night lights, for switch illumination, for colored light, for low-power applications such as display backlights or small flashlights, for applications where they are subjected to shock and rapid switching.

So what you could do is install a permanent low-level LED light system in that house. Just 1 - 4 pcs of 5mm LEDs will light up a room sufficiently so that you can find your way around. This will be nothing vs the lighting that the residents have grown accustomed to but it will be nice to have a little bit of light everywhere. This low-level light system could be backed up by a battery, so it doubles as an emergency light system during a storm.

You could also add an LED into every light switch. This avoids dirty wall paper around the switches...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will be really really better off using luxeons :)

maybe white luxIII mix with a few warm white luxeon III(5:1 ratio?)