2AA observations/recommendations in general

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a decent brightness and long run time light that runs off of alkalines.
I dont want nor need uber brightness.
from all the popular lights, fenix, minimag, ultrafire, etc etc.
there seems to be one underlaying feature, you need lithiums to get any kind of performance.

if given the choice of 4 hour run time with the new MM, and a 3 hr run time with the L2T, I think the L2T has the advantage of the low light mode having a 10 hour run time.

does anyone have any good suggestions that fits the above description?

Last edited:

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
thanks cheapo, thats another perfect example.

1 hr with alkalines,
3+ hr with Lithiums...

I mean, in order to get any kind of utility, you need lithiums for the lights.
and those cost to much.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
lithiums will ALWAYS increase runtime.... 1 regulated hr of runtime is really good for that particular light..... just because it is better with lithiums doesnt make it bad.

but if you want better runtime and less output.... here is a good option:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l2p.htm

-David

Last edited:

mhubble

Enlightened
Ive got a ULTRAFIRE WF-602B. Its 2xAA 1 WATT. Very bright, lots of throw, Nice white spot. This is one of my favorites. I really like the size. Dont know the run times. Ive had it for about 3 weeks using it alot and its still got plenty of battery. Got it of ebay.

mmace1

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Alk 123As?? No way. They're lithium.

I just figured that out (i'm new to the forums) and came here to correct myself before someone else did. Lol, thanks though

Specifically, they're lithium-ion, right?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Lithium Ion cells are the rechargeable type of lithium. They come in 3.7V (4.2V off the charger) and 3.0V (3.7V off the charger, supposedly 3V under load) varieties. There are also larger li-ion batteries with five-digit "names" like 18650. Try www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html for a wealth of great information.

nocturnal

Newly Enlightened
squirrel said:
Im looking for a decent brightness and long run time light that runs off of alkalines.
I dont want nor need uber brightness.
[...]
if given the choice of 4 hour run time with the new MM, and a 3 hr run time with the L2T, I think the L2T has the advantage of the low light mode having a 10 hour run time.
If 1xAA would be ok as well, have a look at the Peak Pacific. The Pacific isn't as bright as the L2T (more like the L2T's low mode), but optimized for runtime. It gives you about 5-6 hours at full brightness and 6-8 hours to 50% brightness from a single AA alkaline in a very handy package. Additional runtime graphs are available in this post and this post in the Pacific tech notes thread.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you don't mind the slightly larger size try an underwater kinetics Eled 4aa light. They're really underrated.

I've got 1 and my 3 yr old daughter has 1 also.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Look for a MrBulk VIP on BST on CPF or FF with 2AA battery tube. Three regulated brightness levels. Stock configuratiion low level is 30mA's to led. LOOOOONG RUNtime. Second level 325 or so mA's to led, for 3 hours runtime, and high level, well it is about 650-700mA's to led which is about 50 real lumens, so runtime with alkalines will be short, at about 1+amp drain from batteries, about 20 minutes. I use my VIP with alkalines in the low and medium mode. Switch to mimh batteries and it is a different story. Much longer runtimes in medium and high mode. Or, go with CR123 battery configuration.

Bill

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
turbodog,
thanks, but the yellow, blahhh..

nocturnal,
those are nice, little small thou. the 2AA form factor is really nice in my hands.

mhubble,
I been eyeing them ultrafires. they seem like fenix spin offs. prolly have the same stats as the fenix's. I cant find many reviews on them.

everyone else, thank you very much for the ideas and input.
can anyone tell me or show me some beam shots of the L2T in LOW mode vs the old and/or new 2AA minimags all on alkalines?

the L2t in low mode with alks goes 18 hours.
the incan MM goes about 5.5 hours on alks.
the MM LED goes about 4 hours on alks.

if the L2T in low mode beat the stock incan MM, then I guess im sold.
that would give me considerable run time with L2T compared to the incan MM which I am use to, and if I needed bright, like a new MMLED, then the HI setting on the L2T would serve. hence 1 light, does the same job as 2 other lights, only better. which Is where im trying to head here.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
What I gather is that Ultrafires do not perform as well as the Fenixes. Apparently they are less reliable and have lower efficiency circuits.

The L2T on low is usable for most tasks; it appears to put out more light than my Minimag.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T is a great choice. Very respected by the CPF group. There are rumors of a 123 batt body being avalible for it in a month or so. That should be a super combination.

But to go a differant direction...why don`t you get a rechargable AA/AAA setup? Then you could pick your lights with a little less reguard to run times. You know...guilt free play.

en

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
everytime you go to grab your light, the batts are dead.
kinda like the battery drill, camcorder, dig. camera batteries.

and thanks carrot.
I have read on here that the L2T on LOW is kinda like a MM with a nite eyz drop in. which to me is crap.
so Im eagerly awaiting others verifications.

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
great, and I would imagine that the HI mode smokes the MM LED 2AA and possibly the 3AA in terms of brightness.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find a favorite 2xaa host that uses a PR base bulb and replace the bulb with a SMJLED. about 20 hours runtime and brighetr than a stock incan minimag.

I believe they make drop-ins for minimags as well.