I bored out my L2 for 17670's (W/ L4 RUNTIME COMPARISON)

SCblur

Enlightened
I finally got up the guts to try it, and I'm glad I did cause now I have a perfect L2. Has anybody else done this? I haven't heard of any other bored L2's out there. Here's what I used:

Makita cordless drill
long drill bit 3/8"
100 grit sandpaper (for most of the boring)
250 grit sandpaper (to smooth it out at the end)
duct tape
bench vise

I mounted the body in the bench vise, padding it w/ an old rag. I then wrapped a section of 100 grit sandpaper around the tip of the drill bit, and taped it to the bit at the bottom. The section of useable sandpaper was about 1-1/2". I then used the makita and sandpaper drill bit like a poor man's dremmel tool, and went to work. It took the better part of two hours' work, and I ruined one of my 17670's in the process. But I don't care, cause I finally have an L2 that works on a bigger cell. I'll be doing some runtime tests tonight and tomorrow. I'll post them when I'm done. I'm interested to do a runtime of the L2 up against my 17670 L4, and also compare the 17670 L2 to the 14670 runtime.

EDIT 1:

Okay, I did a side-by-side runtime test w/ an L4, also on a 17670. The L2 started a little brighter than the L4, about 120% I'm guessing. At about the 30 minute mark, they seemed neck and neck for output, and remained neck and neck as far as my eyes could tell, all the way to 65 minutes. At that point, the L2 abruptly dropped out of regulation into low mode (the drop took about 30 seconds to a minute overall).

At this point (85 minutes), I am noticing a percievable decline in the L4 output, and the L2 is running steady in low mode. I will keep the L2 running to see how long the low mode will hold out.

EDIT2:

90 minutes, and the L4 has dimmed to the point that the L2 is again brighter than it. I am noticing that the L4 puts out maximum brightness for approximately 10-15 minutes more than the L2, but the L2 is giving out useable light for a longer periond than the L4. When the L4 starts to die, it dies quick. The L2 however, maintains useful light for quite some time after it drops to low. That might be an important consideration if you'll be using a light in a situation where you might not have a charger/spares readily available. (camping for example)

Last edited:

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
Re: I bored out my L2 for 17670's!!!

Nice, please post the runtime results as I've got an extra L2 body that's begging for some attention.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened

Is the boring out to fit a protected 17670? I've got some unprotected Panasonic cells that are a hair smaller in diameter then a standard Surefire CR123 so I assume they would fit with no boring.

SCblur

Enlightened

They are in fact protected 17670's from AW. They now fit into my L2 better than my L4. After a little polishing this evening, the cell will slide out of the tube without any coaxing. After using the 100 grit, it looks nice and shiny inside too.

I'm currently running a runtime comparison between the L4 and L2, both using fresh AW 17670's. I don't have any light metering equipment, so it will only be a subjective comparison test using only my eyes.

I just started it ten minuts ago, so I should have some numbers up in about an hour.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast

A note on the sanding... if you sand it further with 400, 600 and 1000 grit (lubed with WD-40) you will get a beeeeutiful finish.

It's not necessary for the light's function, but a smoother tube will grate the finish off your cells a lot slower!

SCblur

Enlightened

scott.cr said:
A note on the sanding... if you sand it further with 400, 600 and 1000 grit (lubed with WD-40) you will get a beeeeutiful finish.

It's not necessary for the light's function, but a smoother tube will grate the finish off your cells a lot slower!

Sweet! Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out tomorrow.

SCblur

Enlightened
mafeya said:
nice...does it feel any thinner (ie: more vulnerable) now?
It's noticeably wider inside, but it doesn't look or feel weaker. The OD is wider than a E-series body, and those have an ID big enough for a 17670, so I figure the L2 is stout enough to handle it.