Do you guys reveal flashlight hobby to a woman on a date?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys reveal this hobby to a woman on a date?

Is it wise to tell women that you have flashlight hobby?

I normally omitt this topic from conversation until she sees my lights in action. I don't want women to think that I am such a nerd. :sssh:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I dont consider this the main reason that I dont have a girlfriend... I believe my interesting in electronic gadgets as a whole, has been hindering me in that department.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
I told my girl about it on our first "date". But it was in response to her picking up one of her many (non-working) $.99 flashlights and saying somthing to the effect of.. these never work..

so i explained all the features of my E1L and why it cost so much. Think she thought I was alittle weird.. or should i say "Special", lol..

I think it would be an ok thing to tell her, but do it easy.. let it come up in conversation naturally.. and dont reveil it to her all at once, so she doesnt know how sick we really are.. lol

"Flashlights!?"
"Yeah, I like to collect and modify flashlights in much the same way people collect and modify cars, except that I find them to be much more useful" or some jazz like that..

it took awhile for my girl to kinda "get" it, and she still doesnt fully understand it, but she knows where to come if she needs a flashlight.. haha

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a small neat light, it can be a nice conversation piece. My friends and my now wife always knew I was the "McGiver man", always prepared with a light and a SAK.

So why not? She should know you for what you are... a flashaholic!

Besides most ladies have hobbies too.

HTH
AlexGT

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Maybe there is that "special girl" but most of whom I have dated or know as friend's think it's a nerdy thing and can't understand the cost. I agree it's good advice that as the relationship progresses to break it to them gently. If you've bought that special $100 or $200 flashlight, it will never fly. I had a hard time justifiying my Fenix $40 L2T purchase to a co-worker recently.

However, hint, for first time dates based on my experience with co-workers the cheap dollar keychain lights go over well.

carrot

Flashaholic
No way! Flashlights are in general considered "boy's toys." I consider it to be acceptable to let the bezel hang out, and if someone asks I just explain that I always seem to be needing a flashlight, so I carry one.

"Is that a Maglite?"
"Eh, something like that."

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Guess it depends on what type of girl your looking for. And if your prepared to explain it to her. lol..

i agree with carrot on the common passer-by.. ive often felt too lazy to begin explaining

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny. My gf thought I was wasting money unnecessarily when I showed her my latest L2T but when I brought up the four pairs of shoes she recently bought at Walmart (admittedly real cheap), that was completely ok as she would be wearing those. Like I wouldn't be using the lights.

270winchester said:
if a woman tells me of her shoes on a first date I'll be running real fast.....

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm married, but when having casual conversations with female strangers (last time was on a long international flight), women in general seem to be fairly fascinated and interested by flashaholism as a hobby.

Of course it could just be my sparkling personality and amazing salesmanship that's the razor's edge between good conversation and a wiley geek with a 100W blaster in his pocket.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think as others do that revealing your interest in flaslights is ok if it comes up in conversation. (she notices your Orb Raw hanging out of your pocket for eg)

Just don't reveal to much as what interests you may not interest others. Always use caution, tell her it is bright and comes in handy! Don't tell her that it has a U bin Lux III running 900ma on hi for 30 minutes etc.

PS : But if she asks what the run time is or what type of emitter it uses
Marry Her:rock:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concept said:
I think as others do that revealing your interest in flaslights is ok if it comes up in conversation. (she notices your Orb Raw hanging out of your pocket for eg)

Just don't reveal to much as what interests you may not interest others. Always use caution, tell her it is bright and comes in handy! Don't tell her that it has a U bin Lux III running 900ma on hi for 30 minutes etc.

PS : But if she asks what the run time is or what type of emitter it uses
Marry Her:rock:

I believe marrying fellow CPFers is kinda of a taboo subject:lolsign:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the lights go out, either use your torch for subtle low level lighting, or afterwards, use it to softly illuminate the room !

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
"Is that a Maglite?"
"Eh, something like that."

I can just picture you going, "Maglite?! Check please!"

:lolsign:

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or course I tell her! I might just as well test her away on the first date rather than finding her finding out later what a nerd I am and dissapear.

As I'm still single, you should not take advice from me though...

the fuzz

Enlightened
"Do you guys reveal this hobby to a woman on a date?"

Only if i dont want to see her again :), as im sure theyll think im weird and be on there way lol

Geologist

Enlightened
The best way is to pull it out (the flashlight) when it is most needed....

I was recently at a restaurant with my family when three women were at the next table asked the owner for a flashlight as they had dropped something under the table. I offered my polished Chameleon and the difference (as we all know) compared to a normal light is amazing. One of the women commented that she had seen the light on my belt in my Holester (free plug for Matt!) and wondered what it was. (Women are VERY OBSERVANT about appearence, clothes, shoes, etc). After that, they were asking questions every 5 minutes. I finally showed them the Ti Exolion on the keychain as well.

Moral of the story- always offer enough to peak interest and let them pursue it. If you flood them with "look, I have 6 flashlights in my pockets, and my flashlight collection is extensive" then you would scare almost anyone.

Geo