Unusual new item at Costco

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
I was at a nearby Costco yesterday and saw a new product - a 90-day supply of survival food in a 5-gallon bucket. Claimed to hold something like 275 meals and had a pretty long storage time. Has anyone else seen these? Tried them? Opinions? Is it practical?

Hurricane seasons haven't been too bad way up here in Md. since Isabel, but I'm thinking this, or something like it, might not be a bad thing to get, along with a 90-day supply of water, fuel-oil and gasoline!

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
They've been advertised quite a bit lately here in "earthquake country". They have a 20 year storage life. Our Costco has them for $109.00 and on the website (www.nutristorage.com) they're $199.95. They were offering samples of several different meals and they really weren't that bad at all. I'd probably want some salt/pepper/hot sauce on the side though.

Overall for emergency preparedness - it seems like a pretty good deal and certainly easy to store. We've now got one stored in our garage.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another forum a member pointed out that it you add up all the calories for these meals and divided by 90days you would find the daily calories they alotted, you would starve well before the 90days are up.

If I remember correctly the calories only amounted to around 300 per day not enough to sustain life.

Nothing that I remember was said on anything else, but it was just to let you know that the 90 days was false advertizing in their opinion.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at Mountain House products... You can buy their small packs in camping stores (5 year shelf life), but they also have #10 cans of real freeze dried food (grains, vegetables, meat too) that last 30+ years.

www.mountainhouse.com

That Nutristorage stuff sounds like all of that cheap fast food / chemistry stuff and looks a little scary to eat (many of the meals have the second ingredient as Non-Dairy Creamer (Corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, soy protein isolate, diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono and di-glycerides, dipotassium phosphate, sodium silicoaluminate, tripotassium phosphate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, artificial flavor).

I probably would get a couple of barrels for a two week emergency--eating this stuff is better than nothing--but I would worry about my health after eating 90 days of this stuff (even if you had 3x buckets for calories).

-Bill

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Mountain House brand (deals to be had on eBay). I used to store MRE's which are great if you don't have water and a way to boil it, but if you do, the freeze dried food is far easier to stomach. MRE's have a different role as they are loaded with a huge amount of calories; which isn't something I'd want to eat if you regularly consume and replace your supplies to keep them fresh.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We look at it as a "supplement" to what we already have stored up (as in a lot of canned salmon)...I'll have to recheck the label as to the total calories.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
An emergency is already going to be a stressful period. This isn't when you're going to want to change your diet drastically. Obviously, some change will be necessary, but I really think the best way to store food is to stock up on more of what you already eat and use and are familiar with; then rotate through as needed to keep your supply fresh. Obviously perishables will be difficult to store, but with some thought and experimenting before hand, suitable substitutes can be found. Many people(my wife and I included) have special dietary requirements and a diet planned and prepared by someone else would be completely unsuitable.

On top of that, just yuck. After a hard day cleaning up my house, property, and neighborhood after a hurricane or earthquake or alien invasion, I am really going to appreciate a well cooked meal. Knowing it won't bring my digestion to a screeching halt will be a definite bonus.

:buddies:

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I have not seen this item at my local Costco. I am surprised they are still selling it. There is a class action lawsuit against them for the product.

Lawsuit

BUZ

Enlightened
BB said:
I have been looking at Mountain House products... You can buy their small packs in camping stores (5 year shelf life), but they also have #10 cans of real freeze dried food (grains, vegetables, meat too) that last 30+ years.

www.mountainhouse.com

That Nutristorage stuff sounds like all of that cheap fast food / chemistry stuff and looks a little scary to eat (many of the meals have the second ingredient as Non-Dairy Creamer (Corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, soy protein isolate, diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono and di-glycerides, dipotassium phosphate, sodium silicoaluminate, tripotassium phosphate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, artificial flavor).

I probably would get a couple of barrels for a two week emergency--eating this stuff is better than nothing--but I would worry about my health after eating 90 days of this stuff (even if you had 3x buckets for calories).

-Bill

MTN HOUSE is good stuff, have aprox $1,500 worth of supplies! :grin2:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:
An emergency is already going to be a stressful period. This isn't when you're going to want to change your diet drastically. Obviously, some change will be necessary, but I really think the best way to store food is to stock up on more of what you already eat and use and are familiar with; then rotate through as needed to keep your supply fresh. Obviously perishables will be difficult to store, but with some thought and experimenting before hand, suitable substitutes can be found. Many people(my wife and I included) have special dietary requirements and a diet planned and prepared by someone else would be completely unsuitable.

On top of that, just yuck. After a hard day cleaning up my house, property, and neighborhood after a hurricane or earthquake or alien invasion, I am really going to appreciate a well cooked meal. Knowing it won't bring my digestion to a screeching halt will be a definite bonus.

:buddies:
I couldn't have said it better. If you stock up on stuff you regularly use, it won't be a problem to rotate the stock pile because you'll be using it. Canned goods are perfect for this - stew, soup, chili, tuna, chicken, roast beef, veggies, fruit, etc.

You just cannot truly appreciate the wisdom of this approach, until you have actually gone though a situation where you needed your survival supplies, and all you had was the survival storage food stuff.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't try and say it better. :D

There's a cottage industry in various TEOTWAWKI goods, but realistically for the average person, commonly available shelf-stable goods is not only much of a burden financially, but also more palatable and they are already familiar with it's usage.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person that likes to argue whether the correct kind of spoon is included in a commercially sold MRE ... then ... :lolsign:

JimH said:
I couldn't have said it better. If you stock up on stuff you regularly use, it won't be a problem to rotate the stock pile because you'll be using it. Canned goods are perfect for this - stew, soup, chili, tuna, chicken, roast beef, veggies, fruit, etc.

You just cannot truly appreciate the wisdom of this approach, until you have actually gone though a situation where you needed your survival supplies, and all you had was the survival storage food stuff.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ras_Thavas said:
I have not seen this item at my local Costco. I am surprised they are still selling it. There is a class action lawsuit against them for the product.

Lawsuit
I forwarded this link with a request for the local news stations & newspaper to "look into this" as they're always promoting "preparedness".

The public needs to be aware if this is the case!

Still it could be a suitable "supplement" to what's already stored, but they shouldn't be promoting it as a "save all" product the way they are!

Thanks for providing that link Ras! I'll post an update if further information is provided locally.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I like Costco (my wife loves Costco)... However, they seem to be getting pretty sloppy on which suppliers they are dealing with...

[delete--It looks like the lawn mower does have a Honda engine]

Used to be that Costco (and Price Club) supplied better quality items at a good price--now it appears that they are pushing cheap quality at cheap prices. Not what I really want.

-Bill

Update:

I have removed the following from my post as I am pretty sure that I am wrong. I have found the engine on the Honda Engine website and the manual does agree with what my motor looks like (appears that the motor's externals were wiped clean of any visable Honda logos other than stickers applied to the fan housing--had to search web to find engine model number from another supplier).

I am wrong, the engine is supported by Honda -Bill:

I purchased a lawn mower from them a couple months ago and even though it has Honda plastered all over the box and motor--I am 90% sure that it is a Briggs and Stratton engine (air filter is B&S model, Manufacturer's Database at HomeDepot only lists B&S as the engine--no Honda)....

Hmmm..., I think I will go down and get the information and drop Costco an email and see what they say.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not seen this product in a Costco store either, though quite honestly, I'd suspect the suit to be one of those seeking deep pockets for a payday, hence naming Costco as the defendent rather than the manufacturer.

Ironic that the suit would use references from recommendations posted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, since many of the vendors and the web sites that sell long term shelf stable foods are located in Utah, and many of the vendors of survival "supplies", shelf stable foods, etc, are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (And the plaintiff also claims to be a member of this religious order, though he regularly refers to it as the LDS Church rather than by it's proper name as recommended by the church, even though the pleading is a legal document.)

Also found it odd with his making claims of not being able to locate the actual manufacturer. Took me about 3 seconds to get it off their web site, the same one that he claims is listed as being not traceable.

Actually, after reading the pleading, I though it kind of funny and may be full of holes. (hope the judge doesn't file a complaint to the WA State Bar against the plaintiff :D ).

While I would have to agree that there is merit to his complaint, and that an injunction should be issued to prevent the further distribution of this product with it's current marketing claim, I would have to question the motives of this attorney who files as a class on behalf of himself and goes after the local retailer rather than the manufacturer.

BTW, I'm not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but even I know enough to know that "LDS Church" is not an acceptable means of referencing the church in formal documents. And as I'm not a member of their church, I often just refer to them as Mormons :), though sometimes as LDS'ers (not proper, but it's a term that members often use in referring to each other.) The proper term to refer to a church member is Latter Day Saint, I just have a problem calling any person who is alive and breathing a 'saint' :lolsign:

Ras_Thavas said:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm inclined to think that is a bit of a cheap shot, kinda what you expect to see on web sites.

Realistically, Costco is probably one of the more responsible retailers in the world today. But even they are prone to being misled by a vendor. And the products sold by Costco these days is not cheap, more in line with prices from other discount retailers, though they offer value-added combos, manufacturer supported promotions (those coupon books that you get), and a return policy that is beyond question (and I'm sure is regularly abused.)

At least if Costco does a recall (as I'm sure they will on this item, with or without a lawsuit,) they do so with conviction and go to the effort of tracking down members who have purchased the item, not just post an obscure sign in some remote seldom seen location of the store like other retailers. I have actually had them send me letters informing me that they were issuing a recall on an item that I had purchased at [insert location] warehouse on [insert date] On the other hand, I wonder if the lawsuit may not actually be delaying any recall efforts on Costco's part. They don't usually take this long to wise up to an item.

BB said:
Used to be that Costco (and Price Club) supplied better quality items at a good price--now it appears that they are pushing cheap quality at cheap prices. Not what I really want.

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do agree that Costco stands behind their products... I have never had anyone say boo at a return (with or without receipts, even after manufacturer's warrantee has long expired). And, I have gotten recalls notices (thru the mail).

I am sure that they would take the 90 day food back without any question at all (even if it was half eaten).

-Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, that reminds me of one that I have to share.
You know how a some people like to pull scams on Costco?

One day I was standing in the return line, and this lady is returning a half-eaten vegetable tray with about half of the dressing/dip gone. The appearance would have been consistent with the tray having been used to entertain guests, and then having a portion leftover.

While I was not privy to the entire conversation, it was kind of obvious that the 'customer' either had difficulties with the English language or was feigning it. ... Sure enough, they issued a refund!

It's funny until one realizes that Costco members will have to pay for the generosity on the part of the employees. Still a standing ovation for their customer service; it is second to none.

BB said:
And I am sure that they would take the 90 day food back without any question at all (even if it was half eaten).

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco (at least in my area) has had to change their return policies for certain High Value items... Computers/Laptops are only 6 months (mfg. warranty after that) and jewelry with diamonds has to be sent back for appraisal before money is returned (gee, wonder why).

Don't blame them a bit...

-Bill

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the quantity of food Costco members purchase, and the supposed size of their pantries, what do they need the survival rations for? Each family probably has more food than an expedition would take to the South Pole. I say buy lots of couscous. You can cook couscous with anything. More importantly, how much beer is stored with the survival rations? It will be good to trade for better food.

I have seen those survival kits/rations for sale at garage sales. I suppose some stubborn old guy gets it in the end for cheap, but now it's his burden to store.

Last edited: