Stinger question

ElKabong

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this is not a FAQ. Did a search and didn't see it.

I have a Streamlight Stinger that I thought needed a new battery. I thought the battery died kind of early (significantly before the hundreds of charges advertised). It's been laying around while I got around to ordering a new battery. Tonight it occurred to me to try the replacement bulb in the tail cap (duh) but I found the charger didn't seem to want to charge it. If I wiggle it around in the cradle LED might blink intermittently but that's it.

Poked at it with a multimeter and the bulb is okay. The battery allows current through (almost completely discharged though). But I don't get continuity between the two charging connectors. I made sure they were tight, but if I fiddle with the probes I only occasionally get momentary continuity. AFAIK there isn't circuitry in the flashlight body, but there is in the cradle (is that right?). So if that is the case it seems like the flashlight body has a problem.

So now I'm wondering if I need to get the flashlight repaired as well as a new battery. Does any one have any experience with this (possible) failure mode?

Thanks!

-EK!

AshA4

Banned
Welcome to CPF!

I have had owned several lights of the stinger family and have never had this problem. Your next course of action should be to contact Streamlights customer service and get the light repaired or replaced. I have heard that SL's CS is good but I don't have any experience with it and hopefully never will.:)

Good luck and let us know when it gets reseloved!

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
Make sure the switch on the flashlight is off or it wont charge. I've done this myself.

ElKabong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't want to charge.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a similiar problem. I have several Stingers. One of them is very finicky about sitting in it's cradle and charging. I used a charging cradle from one of my other lights and it works OK now. If you have access to another charger give it a try.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some tips:

--What color is the switch assembly, where the bulb plugs in? If it's a smoky/clear color, it's too old and needs to be replaced.

--There's a diode in the switch assembly, but that doesn't go bad. The two flashlight contacts are actually screws that screw into the electrical contacts in the switch, which connects to the battery stick. These two contacts can be unscrewed with a Phillips screwdriver. Unscrew these, clean them and re-install.

-Clean the contacts on the charging cradle, and make sure that the two contacts move freely. They havce springs in them and should bounce up and down like a spring.

-Clean the battery's contact points.

-dan

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, if in doubt, send it to Streamlight or take it to one of their warranty repair stations. Some of the warranty repair stations will only work on the rechargeable lights that are used in public safety work (Stinger is one of them,) and they're usually pretty good about getting the light working for you as soon as they can (often while you wait.)

And the issues that you're encountering are covered under warranty, so there should be no cost to you, other than getting the light to either Streamlight or the warranty repair station. It would probably be best to bring the charger in as well.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Give Streamlight a call. My experience with the warranty department has been very pleasant. I think they will get you taken care of ASAP. No reason to carry around an undependable or possibly faulty light. Get it fixed or replaced and you'll be much happier.