Good flashlight for electrical/HVAC work?

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
A metal case does make me a little nervous when working arond electrical or control panels. I have a PP4AA Lux but it's a little big for certain situations. I would like something that I can mouth if necessary with good output/run time and decent spill. A pocket clip would be very nice.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been an HVAC tech and plumber for about 7 years. I carry an Inova X5 for its good soft flood for reading wiring diagrams and navigating basements and the like. It has a great runtime given its daily use. I've never worried about it conducting anymore than "accidentally" grabbing a leg of 3-phase. I'm just always careful and I've never been hit, at least through my flashlight! :)

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
Well, no pocket clip, but the Surefire G2 has served me well for almost a year of service work. My 2 cents.

cy

Flashaholic
a headlamp is a must!

for keeping both hands free when working on high voltage connections.
that and rated insulated gloves...

I favor my streamlight 2x CR123 luxeon headlamp for electrical and plumbing work. Stenlight would have been good for the 6 hour plumbing job I did in an unlit basement.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
There were some plastic bodied LED cluster lights for about $5 at Frys. Someone had opened a package and put batteries in it. It was nice and bright. I can't remember if it was 7 or 9 LEDs.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with cy 100%. Use your SL PP Lux for general navigation.

Carry a small (3xAAA or 2AA) headlamp on your tool pouch. When you get to the job at hand, put on the headlamp. You will have both hands free and the light will always be pointed where you are looking. No more of that fumbling around trying to place or brace your flashlight so it points at your work.

This type of work is one of the great places for a headlamp.

Mark

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another opportunity to talk about my headlight preferences: The Argo HP has accidentally activated on me several times, and the battery compartment is VERY stiff to open. I recently bought a strap wrench, and that really helps. The headlight I like is this FavourLight one - very similar to the Argo HP, but slightly better, in my opinion. I liked it so much, I bought another two recently.

nexro

Enlightened
I deal with electrical and HVAC work too. Usually, I carry my HDS U60 with me. Instead of holding it, you could leave it tailstanding to light up the panel. I find the U60 more useful for inspecting ducts and coils and if needed, there's always a brighter mode instead of the primary setting. The primary setting is good enough for most close up work/inspection :)

As for polymer type lights, I have a Pelican PM6 3320 as well. It's too bright for close up work but at least you will have peace of mind that your light is not electrically conductive.

A headlamp would be best but I haven't got myself any yet. I'll be readhing thro to look out for any recomendations by fellow CPFers :)