(Fixed) Fenix L2T/L1T Problems: No Low!

Balance

Newly Enlightened
*Edited to add: Problem solved, thanks to 4Sevens' awesome service!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

:rock:I have very recently received my Fenix L2T, with the L1T body--score!:grin2: Shipping was quick, the transaction effortless and positive. Fenix captured my heart by the numbers: cheap, bright, runtime, tough-enough design; unfortunately, as you'll soon see, this specific marriage has gone sour...

Unfortunately, the LOW setting has never been very steady/accessible; in candle mode the light would quickly begin flickering--requiring adjustment to HIGH if it had not already done so, to avoid everyone's frustration... :awman:

After a few days of nothing but HIGH, LOW became history, even if I tried...:scowl:
I searched around CPF & FlashLightReviews for maintenance instructions, cleaning up the threads with alcohol, toothbrush, and q-tips/swabs. Tried switching tubes, batteries (rechargeables, alkalines).:popcorn::candle:Tried a few times:dedhorse::thumbsdowNo luck.

I REALLY want to like to Fenix lineup, at times I felt I could 'justify' owning one of each (still got great balance on paper).
Planned to order a second L2T/L1T combo, before the body price doubled (tho it was a steal, if ordered inidividually, at original price). Looking at L2S, for a slightly more affordable baton-body light.
It's also the first "real" flashlight I've got--tho this trouble with low/twisty forced me to order a U60 on closeout:sssh:
<---- developed dis-trust for twisties: hopefully temporary

I apologize if I ranted, but I would truly appreciate any helpful input.
Is there anything I am missing? Anything that can be done?

Oh, and :rock:Hi everyone. I think this may well be my first post, so I'd like to quickly say thanks to all the helpful and informative people here on CPF.
After losing more than, we'll say, 1 nights sleep on trying to figure out the perfect flashlight for me..:touche: I am beginning to understand the advanced, highly-effective, CPF strategy of, "Buy'em all, leave none behind":xyxgun: philosophy of succesful living (it IS an investment in health & safety!:sold:, just how much is the question..:whistle:)!

Take care all, and thanks again

Last edited:

savumaki

Enlightened
Re: Fenix L2T/L1T Problems: No Low!

Welcome (I think)

I assume that the first person who heard about your troubles was the supplier; what were his comments?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF,

The best thing to do is to return the light to the place you purchased it from and ask for an exchange

ciam

Newly Enlightened

you only mentioned cleaning the threads, have you tried to take apart the light as much as you can and clean all the contact points?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."

I'd recommend first talking with the vendor where you purchased it. You might be able to return it or have them replace it.

Another option for future reference is to order your Fenix products here:

http://fenix-store.com/

This store is run by a local CPF member "foursevens". If you have any issue with your Fenix products you can rest assured he will do everything he can to make it right.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

:grin2:

LED Cool

Enlightened

like what eveyone said above, return it and ask for a replacement.

Balance said:
:rock:

I am beginning to understand the advanced, highly-effective, CPF strategy of, "Buy'em all, leave none behind":xyxgun: philosophy of succesful living

may be you would like to tried an alternative? LiteFlux LF1? :grin2:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have noticed that there can be some burring left behind in the head of the light. If this shorts between the thread and the outer ring on the PCB then I believe that it could cause the light to be on constant high. Anyone else find this to be the case?

pilou

Enlightened

Has Fenix manufacturing quality been slipping a little lately due to high demand? Or the fact that more of them are perhaps being sold, so we are starting to hear more QC problems?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

pilou said:
Has Fenix manufacturing quality been slipping a little lately due to high demand? Or the fact that more of them are perhaps being sold, so we are starting to hear more QC problems?

I think it is probably the latter--that there are so many being sold that we hear more abou the QC issues.

If the L2T I recently received is any indication, Fenix QC is improving. I bought an L1T a few months ago, and the threads were dirty (gritty), non-lubricated and the tint was green. The L2T I received on Saturday has good white tint (possibly just a lottery winner), the threads are clean and the threads and o-rings have the perfect amount of good-quality silicone grease on them. I'm impressed.

Balance

Newly Enlightened

Update: the head has been exchanged for a new one, which should be here soon. :)

Indiglo: The seller was indeed "4Sevens", and he has been extremely helpful, even going out of his way, to make sure my experience was positive.:goodjob:
I feel I can recommend him without reservation, and anyone ordering should expect a very fair & honest transaction.:sold:
(If I could have made up my mind, as to which *other* Fenix I want in my lineup, I would have ordered from him to lower HIS shipping charges; as a tokken of thanks & satisfaction for job well done).:)

Concept: very interesting note, and thanks for offering that. I will keep an eye out for it (I did notice "extra" threading in the head, which did look like it was not supposed to be there; i.e. did not circle the circumferance of the head, just a small vertical line)

Pilou: couldn't answer as to QC, as this is my first Fenix. Overall, fair-good construction for cost. I enjoy their designs, and I believe their niche-market also keeps other manufacturers on their toes.
Fenix will be getting at least a few more shots at my wallet. E1 on the way, maybe p1 as well (trying to argue the use of a P1 between a U60 & VB-16 HAIII); heck, they just got those L2S' in, right? Geez, if I like & rely on the L2T/L1T, I guess I need another..
FWIW, the Asian marketplace does not seem hung up on the occasional item that slips thru QC; given the rockbottom prices (i.e. in relation to comparative, US made, items), if the item comes DOA/malfunctioned, buy another one, and you should still be ahead, $$$-wise, of the competitors.
This seems okay, if you know what you're getting into, and are not depending your life on it.
(*note-this assumption was formed during my time as an aquarium hobbyist; $40 Chinese-clone/Jager of a $350 German canister-filter (Eheim). Functionally the same, and design even; sometimes the clone arrived with a problem or not; either to be returned or junked, or even multiples purchased for less than a single Eheim.)
Wish I could find that kind of cost/benefit ratio over here!:lolsign:

LED Cool: LF-1 looks neat, but not exactly my "bag". The Fenix seems to have a slight edge in runtime/brightness, as suits my personal preferance.
Then again.. redundancy = increase in the rate/probability of survival, yes? So, by these calculations..! :grin2::naughty::whistle:
Love the candle-mode feature. Beautiful light. Knowing a fellow CPFer has them available to the community is certaintly worth something, esp. considering the general difficulty in purchasing a LF-1. If I ever pick one up, it will be from you.

My respect & thanks to all sellers who are active & helpful CPF members!:goodjob:
Makes the game of capitolism seem safe & fun!:lolsign:

Edwood

Enlightened

BTW, when the battery is very low, "high" mode is no longer there. One could mistaken it for not having a "low" mode, as when you twist the head, there is no change in brightness. But if your battery is full, then I guess it's a defect.

-Ed

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened

I might add that AA Fenix and clones are very susceptible to lubricant migration along the edges of the battery tube. If you lube the threads, eventually some will migrate to the edge of the battery tube and cause flickering and intermittant operation. If you take the battery tube and rub it flat against a piece of tissue paper, you shouldn't leave a ring. If a ring is left on the tissue, this could indeed be the problem. Positive contact between the driver/emitter board and body as well as switch mechanism and body are essential for reilable performance and the slightest bit of lube can cause a "hydraulic" effect and limit contact.

Balance

Newly Enlightened

Final Update: Problem Solved

The new head arrived, and works great.
I am very pleased with the light and service.
Can't wait for my E1 to arrive!

Thanks to everyone who shared their info & exp!