Mini-Mag Upgraded or Mag???

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
there isnt a MAG led upgrade for the MINI MAG. just buy the 2aa or 3aa mini mag, and leave it at that. ITs a great light
-bobby

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
nakahoshi said:
there isnt a MAG led upgrade for the MINI MAG.
-bobby

I think he's aware of that and was wondering if he should use a 3rd party LED upgrade that is available. The typical cost of an incan MM is around 7 or so.
That being the case, that would leave you roughly 17 or so to find a 3rd party upgrade before it's no longer cost-effective than just getting the MagLED MM.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a standard MiniMag just buy a Sandwich or drop in,
Its even cheaper to buy a new MAG led 2AA

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just kind of depends on what your looking for. No fuss, no muss, works out of the box, and if anything goes wrong and you want to return or exchange it you can easily take it back to where you got it then I think a Mini-Mag LED would win on those points.

If on the other hand you want something a little different, maybe some flexibility with hosts then a third party drop-in would be fine.

Though I bet Mag will have some nice sales going on for the upcoming holidays. So, you could get both. :devil:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want performance (high output, flat runtime) no doubt go with a sandwich. If you want runtime and don't want to mess with converter modules, get the stock Mag 2AA LED. I opted for the drop-in sandwich that I made myself after trying out the Mag LED 2AA and found performance somewhat lacking for my taste. Having said that, I would recommend the Mag LED 2AA for those that want to take a unit out of the package and start using it immediately without any fussing.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what the "sandwich" is? Is one readily available? I was thinking of one of the Night-Ize modules or something like that - not sure which ones are good.

Does anyone know if the any of the third-party two stage switches are compatible for the Mini-mag led?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination said:
I'm not sure what the "sandwich" is? Is one readily available? I was thinking of one of the Night-Ize modules or something like that - not sure which ones are good.

Does anyone know if the any of the third-party two stage switches are compatible for the Mini-mag led?

If you want something bright, forget the nite-ize module. Here's a link to the "sandwiches' from the shop.

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_49_61

I also can make custom modules if you don't see what you want. As far as two stage for the minimag, I think the Nite-ize IQ switch works. Beware however the large resistance of the inductor used in the switch.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like the others said if you want to "up the ante" on the Mini Maglite with them drop-in LEs from The Sandwich Shoppe. Here's my configuration:

Bad Boy NexGen 750mA Lux.III TW0J
UCL
20mm IMS
LC14270 (1/2 AA) Li-Ion via CPF member AW
Kroll Clickie

That one above, I EDC and call the 3[M]ini.Mag. I do have a stock-bodied Mini Maglite with said components as above except for the Kroll and it runs on 2 AA Energizer Lithiums.

This setup is plenty BRIGHT for my uses.

Enjoy!

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
The MMLED, as far as i know, is the best led solution for the mini mag for the price, and its available locally pretty much everywhere.

pilou

Enlightened
Think of it this way: upgrade module costs about $10. A new MagLED can be had for about $20-22, giving you far better performance. It's a no brainer to me. Keep the old mags as backups.