Vital Gear FB1 Body

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I love my E2L, but I was thinking about getting an E1L to go along with it.

FWIW, I had to have the Z57 tailcap switch on my E2L replaced twice by Surefire because of malfunction.

I've read a few things about the Vital Gear FB1 and was wondering if it is as good of quality as the E2L body and tailcap switch? Should I just buy the Vital Gear FB1 Body?

Second, does anyone have any pictures of the Vital Gear FB1 Body with the newest generation KL1 had installed?

Thanks!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just pruchased a KL1 on here myslef and will most likely be getting a FB1 body for it. The KL1 is coming with a E2L body but no switch. A new switch would cost more than the FB1 body and it comes with a switch. I have heard that the older generation of FB1 bodies did have a weak spring in it. It was breaking. Vital Gear has addressed the issue with the newsest ones. Heres the pic you wanted to see ---> https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132537

X Racer

Enlightened
I have a KL1 on a VG FB-1 body and love it. If you like the KL1 it will work fine on the VG body. Pros and cons with either I think. The quality is nicer on the Surefire, but for half the money the VG does its job just fine. The VG body is also noticeably smaller than the SF body.

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have a couple of VG bodies that I use with boyh the KL1 and the KL4. The bodies and tailcap are a little smaller than the Surefires but the switch on the VG is a little softer and you don't get as noticeable a click when you switch it on and off. Not bad, just different. The other difference is that the clip on the VG body is the revers of the Surefire body. This means that it is nice when you put in in your pocket or on your belt because the beam side faces down and away from falling particles, the bad thing about it is that you can't use it as a head lamp on a baseball cap because you would be shining yourself in the eyes.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked my VG FB1 body, but I use it on a SL Scorpion LED head (see my sig for pics). The switch as Dadof6 described doesn't provide a very audible or tactile feel for engagement, but it's something you can get used to. The old VG bodies had a tab switch (2 tabs). It had reports of problems, but someone found an easy solution to just add a small bit of wire to resolve the problem. The new VG bodies use a spring switch. I prefer the design of the VG FB1 over the E1L/E1e body/tailswitch. I also like the VG's ability to tailstand and find the smaller size nice. I also prefer the bezel-down carry as I don't clip my lights to caps. If you like the feature of clipping the light to your cap, than the VG would be a bad choice unless you like seeing stars.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the external o-ring is dumb imho.... i have had 3 that have caused resistance, so i settled with the older version... works nicely.

-David

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUQ said:
I remember that mod jsr. Its a neat idea. Did you ever get to dusting your room yet? :D

Yup, finally got to dusting it and I'm proud to say it's gotten back to the same dustiness as before. Ya know, keeping that dust around helps with the "light saber" light show inside the house.:grin2: