Run-Time Plot - Lambda Ill Pill

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
This runtime plot is for an AA Minimag with a Lambda Ill Pill modification.

Equipment used is a photocell and a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using ScopeView software (V 1.08).

The vertical axis in in MA and the horizontal axis is 15 minutes per division.

Be aware that your actual battery mileage may vary from that indicated by this runtime plot.

Runtime Plot with Alkaline Batteries
pill-a.jpg

ADDED 09-12-02

Runtime plot with Lithium Batteries
pill-lit.jpg

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Roy,

You gave me the inspiration to figure out how the MeterMan Light Meter could be data logged. When I got it I noticed it had a milivolt output jack, and finally got this set up to use.

Here's a run time using the MeterMan LM631 milivolt output linked to a RS 22-812 running Meter View 1.0.

ilruntime2.jpg

The light was on for three to five minutes before I started the recording as I double checked the distance, alignment, and cables. Looks pretty close to the same curve your solar cell produces.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey, real nice graph there, Kevin. Does this mean I will get a similar readout/printout if I plug my own LM631 into my computer, or is it a function of the software (of which I have none)?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by rlhess:
Hi, Kevin,

Did you do this at one meter? If it's in lux and you do it at one meter, it's better to call it candela.

Cheers,

Richard
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, painstakenly measured to 39.37 inches.

So, you're saying that 1 lux at one meter equals one candela. Then 1 lux at one meter also equals 1000 mcd. That makes things much easier to compare.

Thanks

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the same Illuminator plotted with NiMh rechargeables.

ilruntime3.jpg

This is why I recommend rechargeable batteries; better performance.

Darell can fill you in on the virtues of saving the planet through renewable energy, I just know they work better, over, and over, and over ......

Darell

Flashaholic
Hell with *saving* the planet... let's just keep it lit!

Seriously though, that is awesome. Makes me think that we have far, far to go in the battery technology department. NiMH's are great (oh, and did I mention that they were (for all intents and purposes) invented for the EV1 platform? Yeah. I probably did.

Man, can we archive these awesome charts somewhere for future reference?

I am a big fan of constant brightess. Looks like I'll have to get that Quest Q2 charger afterall...

rlhess

Enlightened
Originally posted by lambda:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by rlhess:
Hi, Kevin,

Did you do this at one meter? If it's in lux and you do it at one meter, it's better to call it candela.

Cheers,

Richard
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, painstakenly measured to 39.37 inches.

So, you're saying that 1 lux at one meter equals one candela. Then 1 lux at one meter also equals 1000 mcd. That makes things much easier to compare.

Thanks
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is correct.

Also, one footcandle at one foot equals one candela or 1000mcd. BUT I find the measurements are not as good as the beams don't develop as well in 1 foot as they do in 2 or 3. I use fc at 2 feet and multiply by four (inverse square law) for my candela measurements of small lights.

I do footcandle measurements at 10 feet and multiply by 100 for the big lights.

Cheers,

Richard

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:

I am a big fan of constant brightess. Looks like I'll have to get that Quest Q2 charger afterall...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sam's Club here has been selling a real nice deal. You get 8 NiMh 1700mAh AA cells and charger for $20.00. Very good batteries in my opinion.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

Just for the heck of it, consider doing a chart with alkalines and momentary use - Every 15 minutes shut the light off for 5 min, then resume. This would show if the alkalines recover a bit and for how long...

This would be a lot more "hands on" than doing the straight runtime test, so it may not be feasable based on your time commitments...

I think I need a graphing meter...

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
LAMBDA...did you chart an Illuminator or Ill Pill mod? If it was an Illuminator, can you chart Lithium performance, please....Geoff

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
LAMBDA...did you chart an Illuminator or Ill Pill mod? If it was an Illuminator, can you chart Lithium performance, please....Geoff
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The run time chart is for an Illuminator (same circuit as pill) with a very bright, but green tinted Luxeon.

I've never even had any AA lithiums, but supose I should get some to see how they perform. The next battery I intend to chart will be the E2 Titanium Energizer.

Then I'll see about hunting down some lithiums for further testing. I would expect the lithiums to perform pretty much like the NiMh, only last a little longer.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
I think you will like the liths...I am using them in an Illuminator...it smokes (figuratively speaking)

star882

Enlightened
Originally posted by lambda:
Here's the same Illuminator plotted with NiMh rechargeables.

ilruntime3.jpg

This is why I recommend rechargeable batteries; better performance.

Darell can fill you in on the virtues of saving the planet through renewable energy, I just know they work better, over, and over, and over ......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have you tried this with lithiums?