9/11 - 5 years on

Safety1st

Enlightened
Being some hours ahead of the USA, it's now the 11th September here in the UK.

5 years as passed since the terrible attacks on the US....

We, in the UK, share your grief and the tears, we taste the bitterness and we feel the anger....

God bless those whose lives were taken on that day....we shall never forget them, we shall never forgive those that caused it....

I'm proud to stand alongside you in these difficult times......

Gary

http://www.frugalsites.net/911/attack/

107981125_aa2ce678cd.jpg

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Gary and very well put.

My parents were Red Cross volunteers and spent several months in New York after the attack. I recall when they came back that they were so tired and worn down. They told me so many sad stories about the loss of first responders. It's a very sad ordeal and we should never forgot those who gave there life's trying to save others. We should never forget those who were innocent and just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We should never forget that because we don't share the same religious belief as someone else that they feel that it is totally ok to murder or women and children. We should never forget that if we ever have chance to take them out that that is what we have to do.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I recall that horrible day like it was yesterday. I had been up all night on my computer, mostly doing things with MS Train Simulator, and around 8:45 that morning was ready to lie down for a few hours. Shortly after that my brother called. He mentioned that planes had hit the World Trade Center. Since nobody in my house watches TV or listens to radio that time of day I may well have been blissfully unaware of anything until dinner time had my brother not called. Anyway, soon afterwards I turned on the TV. My brother came over shortly after. At first I thought it may have been small planes but not after I saw the gaping holes in each of the buildings. Flashbacks showed the second plane slamming into the South Tower, confirming everyone's fears that this was a deliberate attack. As I saw the buildings burning I didn't think they would fall. I figured the dead were in the hundreds easily but once the fires went out the towers could be repaired.

At 9:59 there were reports in the area of what sounded like an explosion. It took until the dust started clearing before much of the news media realized that the sound was of the South Tower collapsing. I sat stunned in disbelief. I knew if this one went then the other one probably would as well. At 10:29 the North Tower fell. There was no more World Trade Center. I went numb. Two huge buildings I had seen rise with my grandfather as a child were now in ruins. I didn't even want to think about how many deaths I had just seen on live television. The papers the day after said 10,000 possibly dead. Certainly there would be few if any survivors. How could anything possibly survive in a half million ton tidal wave of debris?

In between when the towers were hit and when they collapsed Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon. It was clear the nation was under attack. All day long I kept wondering what was coming next. Was the WTC attack just a prelude to a nuclear blast in Midtown? The events of the day had made me think of this as a possibility. As what was left of the towers burned it seemed that other structures around them might follow. Seven World Trade Center was leaning badly. At 5:25 PM it went in another tidal wave of debris. For days afterwards authorities were unsure of the condition of quite a few other structures as well but fortunately none of them collapsed.

I didn't sleep that night, or the next, or the one after that. Given the events I thought it probable that I might be facing my last time on this planet. I wanted the end to come with my eyes wide open. When I finally did sleep, nightmares awoke me. These persisted for months, as did an unsettling feeling every time I went to Manhattan that the structures there could suddenly collapse. And I shed endless tears looking at pictures of the victims.

Two weeks after the attack I saw the destruction with my own eyes. Structures were full of debris up to their fifteenth floors. I saw parts of the towers embedded in the World Financial Center. I saw what was left of the outer shell of the towers. I smelled the horrible odor of burning debris and flesh. The air around the site was thick with the stench of death. Most horribly, I learned that my neighbor's 37 year old son, who had recently married and had an unborn son, had perished in the South Tower. Ironically he had left the building when the plane hit the North Tower but went back up because he had forgotten something. This person was someone I had known for over 22 years. I had sometimes ridden the subways with him when we were both in high school, he in Stuyvesant and me in Bronx Science. I had talked with him when he went to college. I saw him build a life for himself. I sadly saw it all crumble that day in an instant even though I didn't know until days later. His story was repeated over 3,000 times on that day.

All we can do is to vow it never happens again.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's already been 5 years ?

Man; time does fly when you're not really that aware. I remember that day as well as my second week as a Freshman in High School. The morning began like any other morning with me running a bit late and rushing to catch the bus. I noticed how everyone was a bit silent but I still had difficulty hearing the radio and was wondering "an accident ?"

I didn't hear the rest of the news until the morning announcements at school. From then on; our school always did the pledge of alligence every morning and further Sept 11 dates had the moment of silence during 2nd period.

ohiocopper

Newly Enlightened
It is so hard to sleep.

Today, driving thru a newer subdivision I pulled over, caught up on some notes when I heard, Sir? this is for you! A little girl with a small plastic flag and a flower, handed them to me and said "thank you".
Her mother, up on her porch was all smiles.
THAT is what makes me do my job everyday.

I was off duty at 2400 tonite, right at midnite.
Felt funny, felt anxious and told my third shifter, check your 6 and keep your head up.

God bless you all.
God bless the USA!
As long as there are badguys I will keep on -----> :twak: whoopin em!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
JTR1962 summs it up for a NYer fairly well, except I was in Manhattan, at work, for one of those said Network News

We have footage we have never shown, and never WILL.

The thing that he mentions, and that folks who were NOT saw, within 30 miles of NYC probably don't realize is the SMELL. For WEEKS, if not months. When I got home to my wife and Family on the night of 9/11, I met my wife who worked on Long Island. (We live about 3 miles east of where JTR1962 lives) She asked me "whats that smell" (mind you were were basically cross wind to tho "Ground Zero") I remember sadly turning towards her and saying "The World Trade Center burning"

Soon after, I joined some volunteer disaster groups, but I avoided Ground Zero. The first time I saw it was 9/11/2002, for the 1 year memorial cerimony. I was stationed at a water/snack table for the families about 100 yards from the top of the ramp.

Got to stop now... Crying

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
I usually try to avoid remembering 9/11 b/c the pains have never subsided. But, I will never forget that day and what I was doing, or the day after when I learned that someone that I had known well had died when her plane hit one of the towers. I am always at a mix of emotions, anger, fear, sadness, etc. Today will be another somber reminder of how our lives changed 5 years ago.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm listening to the play by play from the Stern show right now. It's amazing how much stuff they hear and saw (in plain view of the towers) in contrast to reports.

Sad ...Sad day

Also... 9/11 was when I first started using an EDC flashlight. I pulled out my Stinger and .40 and prob didn't stop carriing the .40 in 2 months. The EDC obv. I still have....

I have more stories of what went on that day but can't get up to writing it :(

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
A follow up - had a very surreal experience today. I don't know if you are following the weather from NYC today, but its very similar to 9/11/01 - add just a few puffy clouds..

Well, there was a track fire in Penn Station this morning (pre-rush hour) - when you got in to Penn Station - wham - there it was - a similar smell to 9/11 - an acrid wood/electrical/plastic burning smell. Of course it was NOT the same - no concrete dust, and most importantly, no sickly sweet smell of burning flesh, but damm, it was close enough to bring back some not so good memories of that day, and the play back of that day in the background isn't helping (can't turn it off - I work at one of the networks, and the person has to have it on for work - I've shut my door)

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
i'm listening to the play by play from the Stern show right now. It's amazing how much stuff they hear and saw (in plain view of the towers) in contrast to reports.

I too was listening to some of that, and was listening to the live report that morning on my drive into work. It was that report that made me stop at a Dunkin Donuts that I knew had a television in there and saw the news. I then drove into work as fast as possible to catch the reports there.....left shortly after and went home. I wasn't sure what was going on, but was not hanging around in the city.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Probably after the death of my father the saddest day of my life, I fought hard to suppress my rage and anger. The longer the problem lasts and we do nothing the more we will punish ourselves. We are too politically correct to admit we are at WAR!:xyxgun:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being some hours ahead of the USA, it's now the 11th September here in the UK.

5 years as passed since the terrible attacks on the US....

We, in the UK, share your grief and the tears, we taste the bitterness and we feel the anger....

God bless those whose lives were taken on that day....we shall never forget them, we shall never forgive those that caused it....

I'm proud to stand alongside you in these difficult times......

Gary

Well said Gary - 100% agreement with everything you posted.

9/11 & all other Islamist attrocities against innocent human beings should never be forgotten, they should never be forgiven either.

CFU

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would have had a tough time holding back tears after the little girl left.

ohiocopper said:
Today, driving thru a newer subdivision I pulled over, caught up on some notes when I heard, Sir? this is for you! A little girl with a small plastic flag and a flower, handed them to me and said "thank you".
Her mother, up on her porch was all smiles.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. I only knew one person who met their demise that day, and it's been a very painful day today. I can only imagine how it must be for those who lost large groups of acquaintances, friends or multiple family members.

RemingtonBPD said:
I usually try to avoid remembering 9/11 b/c the pains have never subsided.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was awoken by the 1st plane crash. Felt the concussions in my apartment. Turned on the T.V.. Still groggy and blurry eyed, I didn't realize what was going on until the second plane crashed; Felt that collision even more. I watched the Towers that always marked where my home was along the NYC skyline burning from my balcony. I knew it was terrorism, thought it was bad, but still didn't think it was that bad. The WTC has previously survived a plane crash and a bombing in an underground garage; I thought it would survive this too. Then from my balcony, I saw the first tower start to collapse. That was when the shock and panic hit me. I felt the tower crumble, I saw the dust cloud rise. Mad dash inside to close all the windows and stuff all the vent hole that would let the dust in. It goes dark for half an hour. Tried to make phone calls, but couldn't get through. Cell phones not working, landline gets busy signals. What to do? What can I do? I glue myself to the T.V. now. Second tower comes down. The darkness comes again. What do I do? Where do I go? Should I go to the hospital and donate blood? Can I leave my mother alone? I decide I can't. I remember making that decision. I try and act calm, but my heart is pounding. Still don't know what to do or where to go. Hear a neighbor close thier door. I dash out there to ask if he had more info. He didn't. He was just leaving. I didn't see my apartment, my balcony or the view of where the Towers once stood, again, until 2002.

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened
These images of the lights shining into the skies are amazing and seem to represent a powerful and symbolic message.