Trade question: How long do you wait until you know you got shafted?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting the distinct feeling I got stiffed on a trade on here. I will not reveal the individual's name in case there have been extenuating circumstances that brought this situation about, but I am concerned. I am not posting this in cheers and jeers yet, because it isn't a jeer...yet.

If you trade with someone, how long do you wait to receive your part of the trade until you know you're never going to receive anything? When do you give up?

Thanks for any advice. I really hate this feeling...everyone I've bought and sold from has been so nice to me on here and I do not want this to sour me on doing trades with all the good folks on here in the future...so I'm really hoping for the best. I truly hope this was some sort of miscommunication, but all my emails (to an address where they have been answered before) are now being ignored. I don't know what to think...this hasn't happened to me before, but I guess there's a first time for everything. Just disappointing. :(

JM-99

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My instance was on another forum for an aged car part. I gave mine 1 week intervals and each time, the person relayed they had various problems: work, lazy, not packaging it up, forgot to ship, then one day they said it shipped...after 6 weeks I figured it was a goner and it as a last lie attempt. So I made the mental note I got screwed.

I also learned then to ship with a delivery confirmation or insurance even if not asked or paid for. My reputation was more valuable than an extra couple $$. IMO.

My sincere hope yours is delayed...it's a horrible feeling to feel taken regardless of the value. I like to put faith/trust in people but these instances keep me on my toes. :(

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will all My trades, We usually ship the lights the same day or one of use ships day late. Usually. All My trades have been Smooth As a M@G Reflector.

cy

Flashaholic
never ever do any trades without shipping with tracking and insurace.
there's alway twice as much to go wrong with trades.

almost never ship without del conf. for .60cents, it's the best $$ you will spend. def conf is accepted as proof of shipment by paypal.

if cost difference is not too much, go with priority, which considers packages lost after a few weeks VS std mail is not consider missing after a month.

go way out of your way to properly describe in extra detail exactly what is to be shipped. send pictures to insure there is no misunderstanding.

naturally dealing with cpf'er with a track history is best for all types of transactions.

if deal gets too complicated... pass

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies, Folks...

I did use delivery confirmation on my shipment. It has been delivered. The other person indicated they were going to ship it about the same time I shipped my part.

If my inquiries via email remain unanswered for a while longer, I will reveal their identity in the "Jeers" area. :(

JM-99

WNG

Enlightened
Sorry to read you got the shaft. I know that feeling well from past transactions and dealing with such rats. Hell, I married one! :)

a third party arbitor to oversee the exchange would assure both parties aren't screwed.
If both traders can agree on a respected and trustworthy 3rd individual, say a forum administrator, or a person they both bought or sold to, and deem reliable, ship said items to him/her for inspection and continue shipment to destinations.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe both parcels should only be delivered to a local post office.

and once your notified , your parcel is at your post office.

you email a password to the sender so he can clam his parcel and he does the same for you.

parcels are only released with the right password.

that way your assured to a least get your delivery.

regards.

savumaki

Enlightened
Hard to explain that feeling in your guts (apprehension);

We get that here in Canada all the time when we deal across the border; we are at the mercy of our beloved customs and they sometimes love to fondle items for a very long time b4 releasing them.

You apparently have done everything possible at your end for a smooth transaction but are not getting any co-operation from the other;
what is your estimate of a reasonable ship time from him to you? Give him that and email that you will be posting a jeer in (a given time) if he does not respond and then do so.

I sincerely hope that everything is resolved quickly; it's a terrible feeling to be used.

leduk

Enlightened
There should at least be information. Proof of posting, time and date etc. Information costs nothing.

I'd say three weeks (checking each week) , then 7 days notice that you'll be highlighting the problem. Let them have a chance to return the trade/cash.

Total: 28 days/one month. Covers most excuses for holidays, deaths, births, training courses, moving house, marriage etc etc.

Then feel free to lay in.

Also tell the police. They may be a repeat scamster

Cheers

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
For me 2 weeks is too long. If both parties have the goods in hand, shipping should not take more than that. When dealing with trades, it is specially difficult because we are relying on the person's word that he has the goods and second, he will ship on time.

When doing this type of transaction, try to deal with people who have gotten a long history of positive feedbacks from other members. Good luck and i hope you find a resolution to this.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also email them a link to this thread, if they haven't seen it already.....

Good luck.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
have they posted anything in the past week? maybe their computer's broke.
do you have any other method of communicating w/ them? ie phone number? :thinking:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I trade for is money. If I am selling something on BST and someone offers a trade, my answer is immediately "no". I've come to this conclusion from bad experiences and the risk involved. Paypal isn't perfect, but it offers some peace of mind in CPF transactions.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the party that you're communicating with starts giving evasive or less than believable stories or excuses. Actually excuses should be the very first sign.

When do you give up? - When it's no longer worth your trouble to pursue it any further.

Jumpmaster said:
If you trade with someone, how long do you wait to receive your part of the trade until you know you're never going to receive anything? When do you give up?