Seoul Semiconductor’s 75-lm LED offers superior reliability

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
visit this article...

http://ledsmagazine.com/articles/news/3/9/10/1

Seoul Semiconductor(SSC), a market leader in LED packages, has introduced the new Z-power LED series, P2, with super brightness and high reliability.

Figure 1 SSC's advanced technology enables the new Z-power LED package, P2, to achieve a typical light output of 75 lumens at 500 mA (see figure 1).

Figure 2 The P2 also features high reliability with the improved package structure. Its brightness decreases only by 30% in 20,000 hour lifetime test (see figure 2).

whats interesting is they DO NOT rate the LED Lifespan at 25degree celcius, rather they rate it at 90degree celcius. their binning structure also looks to be much tighter than Luxeons !!

Last edited:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice to see some direct comparisons of this Led up against some of Lumileds offerings. The spec looks very good though and as long as it is accurate then it looks like a nice step forward.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats interesting is they DO NOT rate the LED Lifespan at 25degree celcius, rather they rate it at 90degree celcius

Neither does Lumileds.

From the Luxeon III star datasheet, page 14:
This projection is based on constant current operation with junction temperature
maintained at or below 90°C.

This statement is made in all Luxeon and Luxeon III datasheets.

SemiMan

Banned
Re: Seoul Semiconductor's 75-lm LED offers superior reliability

Actually the Luxeon K2 is rated for only 30% life degredation after 50,000 hours at 120C for the white. In this respect, the Seoul part is a major step backwards. I think some of the colors are rated this way at 150C for the Luxeon K2.

For most of my products 20,000 hours is not nearly enough representing less than 3 years continously. Modern flourescent lamps are better than this.

Semiman

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
You beat me to it SemiMan, I was just about to post that the K2 is even better at 120C Tj (white) or 150C Tj (blue & green). That means if you keep it cooler (you could easily keep a K2 Tj at 60-70C) you will extend the lifespan even further than the rated 50K hours.

NextLight

Enlightened
From the published graph the data is "Expected Lifetime Simulation Data" (emphasis mine)

~My simulated data beats your simulated data.~ Trust me...

This doesn't mean they make bad LEDS; It just means...we can't really know.

Thanks for the link. Competition will keep our current suppliers on their toes.