Led headlamp article in Anchorage Daily News

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Craig Medred wrote an article last year on LED lights that was published in the Anchorage Daily News Outdoors section. This year he's written one on headlamps here...

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the link... i'm glad he plugged the EOS :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
geepondy said:
Sigman, I don't quite understand why they say the nights are darker in October then January?
I think the bold print in this excerpt explains it...
On the stormy nights common to September and October, it is increasingly ominous. The darkness then is not like the darkness of spring or winter when there is still enough light to maneuver. This darkness shuts down movement.

Get used to it. From now until the snow flies, it will only get darker by the day. The ever-lengthening nights before the official, white arrival of winter are the darkest in Alaska.

If there is a time in Alaska when artificial light is crucial, this is it. On a January night with a strong moonbeam casting shadows of trees across the snow, you can usually ski or run without aid of lighting assistance.

But on almost any October night, even those with a moon, you need light just to see to walk.

The gray trunks of trees and alders, the brown tint of dead grass and the black of the sky seem to create their own black hole to swallow any ambient light and, unless you have a powerful beam, most artificial light, too.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Sigman, I gather they are saying the moonlight reflected off of snow makes a major difference compared to dead leaves, grass etc. I was wondering if they were insinuating that the moon in January is brighter for whatever reason then it is in the fall.