Garrity 1W Luxeon spotlight at Wal-Mart

LEDism

Newly Enlightened
Picked up this light last night for $19.38.

It uses 4 AA's, which it comes with.

It put out a pretty good spot beam that lit up the tops of trees a block away. It's also pretty lightweight. I think I'll keep it in the back of my recumbent bike for those times when I forget to charge my LED headlight (like tonight).

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe.. I saw it Yesterday when i went to buy the MM AA LED. It looked like it had some killer throw. I think i will buy it soon.

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
Please post some beamshots of this light if possible.

Have you had a look at the LED in this light is it a star or a bare emitter?

I'd like to get one of these lights and mod it with a Luxeon III UV0J from photonfanatic.

Thanks
Tachy

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
I like mine, it just feels REALLY flimsy since it's almost entirely plastic and only takes the 4 AA batteries...

The trigger switch threw me for a loop at first before I realized that you have to pull it in a little further to get it to lock on.

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
Any idea if the throw on this light is comparable to a Streamlight propoly luxeon 3C?

Tachy

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Just tried them out. They are very much similar in throw, to my eyes, with the spots being about the same size. Mainly, I shot the top of a pine tree at about 50 yards. The spotlight's beam is VERY ringy, whereas the Streamlight is pretty nice/smooth. With a reflector that big though, I'd tend to expect rings.

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, Brightor, for the comparison. Looks the Propoly 3C is a consistent winner.

If only the Luxeon I could be upgraded to lux III :awman:

Tachy

ericjohn

Enlightened
They had one on clearance at my local West Marine for years. My wife bought me two of the last three G-Tech lanterns from there. One day we went there to look for the LED spotlight but someone else beat us to it. I wonder how it measured up the the Q-Beam? I look for one online every now and then, since Garrity is one of my favorite brands.