Traffic wand for A2?

paulr

Flashaholic
Um, do you REALLY want to direct traffic with a $100+ flashlight that needs a new pair of $1.75 (from Surefire) batteries every hour, and a new $25 bulb every few dozen hours? I suspect the reason SF hasn't offered a traffic wand for the A2 is that there hasn't been much demand ;).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Barbarian has a cool traffic wand (he calls it a beacon). You can look in the dealer section. It fits on the A2 and even the LED's will give you some light with it. :shrug: I agree on eating CR123's on high (incandescent). I do think you can get more than a few dozen hours from the lamp though. Whether this part or approach is viable and bright enough for your applcation, I have no idea.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping Paul_in_Maryland would check in on this thread. He is our resident expert on traffic wands. I do not know of a wand that fits the A2.

I do not completely understand the battery use argument against the A2. It would not be different than any other Surefire. Any 2 cell light will use expensive batteries at a quick rate for a traffic wand.

The problem is that the F28 traffic wand is too big for the A2. Too big is a solvable problem.

I scrounged a rubber bushing of the correct size. This one came from a ¾" PVC coupling. It just happens to be about a perfect size.

The A2 And The F28
a2wandpost01uk3.jpg

The Fit Problem
p9130006li7.jpg

The Rubber Bushing
a2wandpost03du1.jpg

The Bushing Installed
a2wandpost04gf0.jpg

The A2 Traffic Wand
a2wandpost05zm1.jpg

The fit is tight, but fairly easy to assemble. As a bonus, when using the wand with the LEDs, it makes a super marker light that will run for hours. On incan, it looks like any other 2 cell SF.

Mark

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice setup, Flash_Gordon!

I'm not a LEO, but a two-stage traffic wand seems like a perfect idea, especially if one is having difficulty getting a motorist's attention. I have a G2 with a Lux 3 drop-in module and two-stage tailcap that I use with my traffic wand. Many more hours of light than the A2, but they would both do the job equally well. :)

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I'm a reserve officer with my local PD. For traffic direction at night, the minimum for us is a SL-20X. I don't think the LEDS on an A2 would cut it (for me at least).

Last edited: