my dorcy super 1 watt just died....

Fenris

Enlightened
My dorcy just died......It started flashing then turned a sort of cyan color then......nothing.

When led's go, do they just stop working ?
There's no smell and there seems to be nothing wrong just by looking at it.

What Lux1 would better handle RC123's than my RXOHW did?

I really liked this light too.:awman:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I really do like the RXOH bin and have a few myself. The tint is great however these H bins do not seem to do very well with higher voltage R123 batteries.

Most likely the Dorcy uses a simple boost circuit that supplies 350 ma or so to the luxeon when using standard 3 volt batteries. At a topped off voltage of 4.2 the R123 may have killed the H bin when it was ran through the circuit.

Mine is doing ok with standard batteries and I swapped the star to a TWOK and often use R123 batteries. It is easy to see it is much brighter when using the R123 cells so yes the circuit must be putting out much more juice when using the R123 cells....sorry to hear about your Luxeon as that is a nice Bin to have....swap it to a 3 watter and if using R123 best to keep it around a K bin.

Walt175

Enlightened
:awman: I'm sorry to hear about your light.

Will there be a funeral, or have you contacted Dr. Frankenstien? :laughing:

In the words of Oscar Goldman, "We have the technology, we can rebuild him."

Illum

Flashaholic
I remember reading someones sigline about PMing him for dead lights "I always like a modding challenge"

aha! Kryosphinx

Im sorry for your loss, it a wonder piece of dorcy's creation, i own two myself...

Last edited:

Fenris

Enlightened
I'm still pretty bummed about it but it's not that big of a deal I suppose.
The thing is, I've been using it with RC123's for well over a month now with no problems. I was under the asumption that if something was going to go wrong it would have done it almost from the start.

I may just upgrade the led as soon as I figure out which one would be best for me, or I could just buy another light and take the same risk over again. I need to figure out the whole bin thing first.

Thanks for listening.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your lights giving up. TheZman, were you using RCRs in yours?

I have three and really like them. They certainly are a great value. It's a great glovebox light as it is small and lithium powered.

I used proteted RCRs in mine for a while, but noticed the light getting quite hot with them and also that the batteries seemed to last only a short time before shutting down and needing recharging. I stopped using the RCRs in the Dorcy.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Dorcy CR123 pulls about ~520mAh on fresh 3.7V RCR (4.2 off charger).
Combine a H bin Vf and the lack of heat sinking on the Dorcy CR123 ...probably a major contributor to the LED death.

thezman

Enlightened
Mined pulled about 600 mAh off of a fresh Surefire cell, with an unknown binned Lux III.
I tested the led in another light and it still works. Something in the board went kaput.

Fenris

Enlightened
mrflashlight said:
send it back to Dorcy. They will replace it.

I could I suppose, but it's my fault it died so I'll either upgrade it or buy another one. I could spend a little more to get a suitable replacement too.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Fenris

Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
Seems like you cooked the LED

The body would get almost uncomfortably warm after 10 minutes or so but when I took it apart, the led wasn't really that hot compared to everything else so I don't think it was heat as much as the voltage.

When it died, I had just taken it out of my pocket to "test" it, so I don't think heat would have been a problem anyway.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
I remember reading someones sigline about PMing him for dead lights "I always like a modding challenge"

aha! Kryosphinx

Im sorry for your loss, it a wonder piece of dorcy's creation, i own two myself...

AH! You caught me. :eek:

If you no longer want it, shoot me a pm. We'll talk. :grin2:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I think you're doing anything like this, but this might be an appropriate place to share this story.

A while back I was watching a person who was collecting and buying (at semi-low prices) broken MP3 players. Turned out he was running a scam against the manufacturer to get them replaced as warranty items. You should have seen the ruckus that came about after the company caught him. It's kind of amazing that the company didn't pursue criminal prosecution.

Kryosphinx said:
AH! You caught me. :eek:

If you no longer want it, shoot me a pm. We'll talk. :grin2: