Amber Luxeon Actual Color.. Amber, Yellow, or Orange?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amber luxeons... I know photos don't often show the real color, especially when they over expose...

So what do your amber luxeons look like? got a pic that looks like it does in real life? Or have adjusted it in photoshop to be accurate?

Yellow: I doubt it looks lemony yellow.
Amber: Maybe, how is it?
Orange: I think there are some a dark orange, but not like red-orange which is like car incadecent brake lights.

I know the color bin will have an affect too, 6 will be more orange than yellow.

So how do your bin 6's look? Bin 4's?

Got any bins lower than 4?? how they look?

Thanks! -IH

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting question. Ive seena few smaller leds and have a pair of :amber: side markers, but they seem to have a greenish tint to them. Are they suppose to be school bus yellow, line on the road yellow, lemmon yellow or some greenish/lemonde hybrid color?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
a greenish amber? Now that IS odd!! hahaha! I think they are supposed to be closer to a pumpkin orange-yellow. I guess. I don't know I haven't seen any. I don know there is a Nichia with a blue led and yellow phospur that is lemon yellow, so that makes me suspect that "amber" leds can't make that lemon yellow light directly yet. BUT, they can make old school yellow green leds that are bright (SF yellow green A2 comes to mind), so why can't they make a lemon yellow in between amber and yellow green????

Canuke

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
a greenish amber? Now that IS odd!! hahaha! I think they are supposed to be closer to a pumpkin orange-yellow. I guess. I don't know I haven't seen any. I don know there is a Nichia with a blue led and yellow phospur that is lemon yellow, so that makes me suspect that "amber" leds can't make that lemon yellow light directly yet. BUT, they can make old school yellow green leds that are bright (SF yellow green A2 comes to mind), so why can't they make a lemon yellow in between amber and yellow green????

I think you answered your own question; lemon yellow isn't monochrome, but is a broadband of colors (somebody should get one of those Nichia phosphor lemon-yellows to Craig for a spectrum).

In my experience, monochromatic amber does blend into mono-green without ever getting to "lemon" yellow... ever since I saw the phosphor-based yellow (in a Brookstone keychain light; as much as I liked that color, $20 was too steep), I realized somehow that it wasn't monochromatic, and no monochromatic yellow ever looks like that.

Until I can get my hands on a range of monochromatic yellow LED's and one of those phosphor ones for comparison, I couldn't say exactly what looks different... just that it does.

I also wonder whether nobody really wants to make bright LED's in the 535-570nm range. For some reason, people -- myself included -- seem to think that yellow-green is the least appealing monochrome color.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine looks like fire.

fire2te1.jpg

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
canuke: hmm, lemon yellow isn't a single wavelength? Interesting. Craig does have the nichia, that's where I saw it! I'm not sure if he put it through his machine or not though.

beezaur, do you have a photo that is close to what it looks like in real life?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
beezaur, do you have a photo that is close to what it looks like in real life?

I am utterly swamped with work tonight, but I will try and take a beamshot tomorrow. Until then, I found an image of some flames. I would say it looks a lot like the orangish average color of thefire pic in my previous post above.

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://home.att.net/~ledmuseum/ledyel.htm it does show the spectograph. It's wide, but peaks around 550nm it seems. But anyways, I'm interesting in luxeons, and what they actuall look like.

beezaur, which color in the fire? the yellow, amber, or orange? lol :)
EDIT: no rush, I appreciate anything you provide. So it's kind of like safety neon orange color? That'd be intersesting to shoot a beam with. I was thinking all along that the color was like a school buss dirty yellow...

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have edited the image to show some eyaballs of approximately the same color as the beam on my amber modded Mag. I guess you'd call it an "orange" more than any other color.

I like amber. I wish SureFire made an amber A2 or Kroma. Nice, soft color.

Scott

P.S. another image.

amberbugrf9.jpg

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott, the eyes in your fire image look like amber to me! Do you know what bin your amber is? 4?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here is a beamshot. It doesn't do the light justice. The camera takes away spill, probably due to too short an exposure (8 seconds). I don't know the bin.

ambermag8sib5.jpg

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, that looks red-orange! hehh. Do you have photo editing program to adjust the hue to match what it looks like in real life? Sorry to be a pain. I'm just curious!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a better one, cropped instead of scaled. I adjusted the color to match what I see shining the light at some things on my desk. It is difficult because the camera wants to turn dim amber into red. The stump is about right for color -- not exactly, but close (on my monitor anyway).

amber2fb9.jpg

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! that does look a bit better. What monitor do you have btw?

Looks like a true orange color to me. Almost neon orange.

I have a feeling I'm going to be getting both a 4 and 6 bin amber and finding out for myself which I like best. Allthough it will be a while, since I don't have the time/funds right now for another mod, nor do I know what host!

EDIT: is that a bad pixel in the image (camera zapped too many times by luxeon lights/lasers?)

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
is that a bad pixel in the image (camera zapped too many times by luxeon lights/lasers?)

No, of course not. Don't be silly. That is the little known Western Washington Flourescent Reflective Ant. Uh . . . there must have been one on the tree. . . They are nocturnal, you know. . .

I am limited by my camera's sensor to a few seconds' exposure time, which is kind of a bummer. You can take beautiful landscape photos at night by leaving the shutter open for 15 minutes or so. You can, that is, I cannot. My sensor has too many hot pixels anymore. It was the latest greatest thing when I got it (Canon Digital Rebel). I've been thinking of getting a newer one.

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing a little photoshop clone stamp tool cant fix! Hey if you want to get rid of it cheap, I need a camera! lol

EricB

Enlightened
Canuke said:
I think you answered your own question; lemon yellow isn't monochrome, but is a broadband of colors (somebody should get one of those Nichia phosphor lemon-yellows to Craig for a spectrum).

In my experience, monochromatic amber does blend into mono-green without ever getting to "lemon" yellow... ever since I saw the phosphor-based yellow (in a Brookstone keychain light; as much as I liked that color, $20 was too steep), I realized somehow that it wasn't monochromatic, and no monochromatic yellow ever looks like that.

Until I can get my hands on a range of monochromatic yellow LED's and one of those phosphor ones for comparison, I couldn't say exactly what looks different... just that it does.

I also wonder whether nobody really wants to make bright LED's in the 535-570nm range. For some reason, people -- myself included -- seem to think that yellow-green is the least appealing monochrome color.
If 570 is the highest yellow green and 590 is the typical amber, then wouldn't the upper 570's and 580's range be a pure, lemon yellow, while still being monochromatic? I notice that there doesn't seem to be anything ever marked in that range. I myself was wondering what was holding them up from producing LED's in that range.
I would imagine the yellow phosphor LED's would look something like yellow neon, and that is more saturated than incandescent yellows, but still pale compared to monochromatic LED's. (Brookstone has those in keychains now? I'll have to check that out. The only place I may have ever seen those before is in those cellphone antennas they often have displayed in store windows, and again, it was very pale, and blue was visible in it).

One really saturated pure yellow I see is the background color for some 1990's single color LCD signs I see on some transit vehicles. (though that industry has now gone solidly with amber/orange LED's, now). The color (roughly the hue of "lemon yellow", but much deeper; perhaps like a "sun yellow", but of course not literal sunlight) seems to be from a filtering of white flourescent light (you can see the white along the edges of the filter), though, but I always imagined that was what would lie between the color of the yellow green LED's and the amber LED's and low pressure sodiums. The yellow-geen does look almost like lemon yellow when you look at it long enough (especially at the die), and when you look at red for a long time, until the red itself looks almost like amber, and then look at the amber LED's or LPS's, they for a while look like an almost greenish lemon yellow!

Tritium

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Nothing a little photoshop clone stamp tool cant fix! Hey if you want to get rid of it cheap, I need a camera! lol

PM me with your address and I will send you a lux 3 amber.

Thurmond

EricB

Enlightened
Went to Brookstone's and saw the phosphor yellow today. Like I figured; it was basically like a neon, (though no blue was visible). Nice "lemon yellow" color, but it is still somewhat pale compared to a monochrome.
Wonder why the Microlight doesn't have incandescent white yet.