MagLED vs Standard Maglite with LED drop in. UPDATE with pics

Black Majik

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, new to flashlights in general, but realize I was REALLY lacking in a good quality flashlight. I'm a firearms user, and realize that firearms, quality knife and quality flashlights all go hand in hand with each other. I'm hoping to learn alot from you guys, and I already have!

Anyways, my family has been deprived with Maglites for our whole lives. I have a 3C Maglite that I've used since 6th grade (got its character marks to show it!). We've always used it, my father isn't the most technology savy person so we've just put up with cheap flashlights. After fiddling with some friend's Surefires, I hope to one day pick some up.

My father has a 3 D cell Maglite that he's had for many years. But lately, from a link on THR (thehighroad), my interest in flashlight was heavily peaked. I went to see about upgrading my Maglite somehow, but ended up getting a 3D Maglite LED during my lunchbreak instead.

Now that I'm home and playing with my Maglite, I can't believe the difference between the 3D LED Maglite vs. the incandescent Maglite 3D. I've never realized how much potential Maglite flashlights really have. I know to many these aren't considered very bright, but I felt there was a great value for what I paid.

I'm heavily thinking about getting the Maglite LED Drop in for my dad's 3D. Question is, can I expect the same results from my MagLED vs a Incan 3D with a LED drop in?

I'm looking to bring some new life out of these old Maglites.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MagLED vs Standard Maglite with LED drop in

Theoretically, it should be the same.
My experience has been that the upgrade modules tend to have a better tint and are brighter than the Mags that are sold with the LED module in place.

The Mag LED upgrade module is suppose to be the same product as the one that is used in a Mag LED light. And if you look in the tailcap of your Mag LED light, you'll find a Mag White-Star 3 cell Krypton bulb in the holder. The only difference between the incandescent and the LED version is the module itself.

Black Majik said:
I'm heavily thinking about getting the Maglite LED Drop in for my dad's 3D. Question is, can I expect the same results from my MagLED vs a Incan 3D with a LED drop in?

I'm looking to bring some new life out of these old Maglites.

Thanks guys!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you should get the MagLED drop in give that a try. I like mine a lot. If you end up not liking it, take it back and get a refund.

Black Majik

Newly Enlightened

Thanks guys,

I just went to WalMart, unfortunately, they don't have the 3 cell LED upgrade Kit, so I went ahead and bought myself a 2xAA matching MMagLED instead.

Gotta say, not bad for such a small package. Still is brighter than the incan 3D Maglite.

HD has a 3xAA MMled on the sale price of $19.99, though different color as the sets I've been getting. Darn, I'm so close to picking one of those up too for in the car carry.

Dang, this is addicting!

Hmm... whats next... :sssh:

marxs

Enlightened

Black Majik said:
Hmm... whats next...
sssh.gif

haha...thats a scary question my friend, a lot of people are going to tell you a lot of things and it will open your wallet and empty it in a heartbeat
yellowlaugh.gif

if you fancy leds (which it looks like you do) you could try luxeon leds, really bright from a small package, however they may be a bit more expensive. try going through surefires website or hang around the LED section of cpf.

oh and welcome to cpf :wave:

[EDIT] oh wait...we are in the LED section :ohgeez:

mark

CLHC

Flashaholic

If drop-in LE, maybe you can look into the TerraLUX MaxStar3 DB-3W.

Hope you find what you're looking and Enjoy!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

Black Majik said:

Yeah, you're safe. I have both variations of the light and there's really no discernable difference.

Black Majik

Newly Enlightened

Wow, I do appreciate the help you guys are giving me. Thanks a bunch guys. Now, I want to upgrade my incan 3C Maglite with a LED module. How would it compare to my 3D MagLED? Comparable brightness, Same brightness with longetivity to the 3D?

And to think, I didn't even spend any time on my usual forums. You guys all took my time! :grin2:

(Those collection threads are too time consuming, inspiring, and bad influence).

Thanks guys!

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

CHC said:
If drop-in LE, maybe you can look into the TerraLUX MaxStar3 DB-3W.

Interesting thread. Would the TerraLUX MaxStar3 DB-3W perform better than the Maglite's drop-in?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unlike the incandescent bulbs, I don't think you'll see any difference in output between the 3C and 3D (I don't) other than variations in tint that may occur with the modules. The run time will, of course, be less with the C batteries since they generally have half (NiMH) to about 60% (alkalines) of the capacity of a D battery. Brightness should be the same.

Black Majik said:
Wow, I do appreciate the help you guys are giving me. Thanks a bunch guys. Now, I want to upgrade my incan 3C Maglite with a LED module. How would it compare to my 3D MagLED? Comparable brightness, Same brightness with longetivity to the 3D?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it may be time to tell him about lions, and high power bulbs, and rop ,and mag 85 ! :)

Black Majik

Newly Enlightened

Paul6ppca said:
I think it may be time to tell him about lions, and high power bulbs, and rop ,and mag 85 ! :)

I've already read up on it, along with Juancho's MAG951 (heard about it originally from THR).

Thanks for the heads up!

Too bad I'm completely electrically incompetent. :whistle:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's some pretty simple mods out there, like the old 2C-Mag+3CR123s+6VMagbulb=blind..

CLHC

Flashaholic

Kitchener said:
Interesting thread. Would the TerraLUX MaxStar3 DB-3W perform better than the Maglite's drop-in?
That I don't know because I have not seen the Mag Instrument LED version. . .But seeing how bright the 1st gen one is, I must say quite surprising.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're welcome to use one of mine for comparison if you want. But it looks like Doug over at flashlightreviews has the numbers up. The two are pretty close, and given manufacturing variances I suppose it could go either way. It's not as if all Mag reflectors are equal either :)

CHC said:
That I don't know because I have not seen the Mag Instrument LED version. . .But seeing how bright the 1st gen one is, I must say quite surprising.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of my fav lights is the 3D camo Maglite. I squeezed 4 C cells in mine a long time ago and was overdriving the 3D krypton bulb quite successfully. When I found the Mag 4D LED bulb at Walmart awhile back, I popped it in the light and it's excellent. The beam focuses just like the incandescent krypton bulb did. Nice tight beam!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

Black Majik said:
...I'm a firearms user, and realize that firearms, quality knife and quality flashlights all go hand in hand with each other....
Like firearms and knives, high quality flashlights can be expensive but this is amortized over a long operational life.

There's currently a good sale on HDS lights: http://www.batterystation.com/hds-edcflashlights.htm

For a small "inexpensive" light, the 2AA Minimag LED is impressive: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm

The Surefire G2 is an impressive incandescent light: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm

A high quality incandescent light in a small package is the Surefire E2E: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_e1e.htm
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=LASE2EHA

CLHC

Flashaholic

Brighteyez said:
You're welcome to use one of mine for comparison if you want. . .The two are pretty close. . .It's not as if all Mag reflectors are equal either.
Thanks for the offer Sir! We'll have to meet up someday soon I'm sure. Looking forward to that time and till then, Enjoy!

pizzaman

Enlightened

When I first tried the magled drop-in I was quite impressed with how bright and white is was compared to the stock 2c. The beam artifacts were less than ideal however. I could actually focus an image of the led and the attaching wires on the wall (very weird). Since I have gone to frosting my incan maglite bulbs (2c to 3 cr123), I didn't need my sputtered reflectors any more. For grins, I popped one of the sputtered reflectors into my magled 2c upgrade. Artifacts gone. Nice bright hot spot, with soft edges, and a superb spill beam. It is now a killer light with a great 2c format.

I highly recommend sputtering your reflector with the magled bulb. I think you will like the results.

TR