18650 fit in a 2c-maglite

van1

Newly Enlightened
Hi, just wondering if 2-18650 protected cells will fit in a 2-c maglite. If they are too long, would they fit if I machine the tailcap out.
Thanks,
Keith

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
Unprotected 18650s will fit without any problem into a 2C if you remove the spring (you will need to deanodize the inside of the tail-cap for conductivity). For protected 18650s, I have read in this forum that you could fit them in if you move the stock switch nearer towards the bezel.

van1

Newly Enlightened
thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean about moving the stock switch? It is fixed onto position cause of the hole in the body.

van1

Newly Enlightened
Oh I see, great idea, Thanks! I may just machine the tailcap though (if it will provide enough space), seems abit easier.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if theres much metal to machine in the tailcap is there? I need to cram some 18650's into my 2c, but you cannot do up the tailcap when I try. :( I'm gonna have to try to move the switch if I can... I only need 3 or 4 mm more space then the tailcap can be done up. :)

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took the spring out and use a bit of aluminum foil to power these lights:

Bam! 3 and 1499 carley/carley off those cells:

DSCN3759.JPG

Martini

Enlightened
The original ROP LE uses all the stock parts in a 2C. You just deanodize the inside of the tailcap, cut the spring, and stick it down in the bottom of the cap. Nothing to buy (except some lye).

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I run two unprotected 18650 driving a Lux V in a 2C. It is a tight fit with no spring. I took the deanondize route which is kind of time consuming, but ends up looking a little nicer than scraping or grinding would:

Deanodize.jpg

I can't imagine two protected cells fitting in my light. Had FiveMega's tailcaps been available, I would have grabbed them.

missionaryman

Enlightened
Guys CPF member Download can help you out with a "MAGRING" if he has any left, a good way of getting the extra few mm you need to fit protected cells in. Just a few dollars and it includes a solution for a contact - nil technical skill needed

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately he's run out of c sized extension tubes, but the ring thing looks like it should work. Thanks for the info, I thought I'd be stuck with 18500's until now.