Fenix L2T: great light except; no 2 levels.

dekrusnik

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, I just got my L2T. It is a great light but I can't quite seem to get 2 levels out of it. Also, it is pretty dim. What am I doing wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvr0DtWQPo

this is a video. first i turned on the light (max brightness I think, head full turned) then i slowly rotated it trying to find the low setting. Somehow there is no low setting even until I screw the head loose. If you see the difference in brightness in the beam, it is because the camera is adjusting to the lights going on and off. Thanks.

Last edited:

nsx88

Newly Enlightened
I play around with the FENIX L2T & L2P, seems that after a few months of usage the 2 stage lighting does not seems to wrok properly. It's seems the quality is getting bad. moreover the TINT is so random, thats ones really need 1 in 1000 to get a white beam. I got the green beam that sucks!!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the batteries brand new? Are they alkaline or something else? Used alkaline cells will probably not power the light on high mode, but low will still work.

Try it with new batteries, or with Ni-MH or lithium cells. If nothing changes I'd wipe the bare threads with a cotton cloth, on the body and inside the head, and use a cotton swab to wipe the contact ring on the circuit board down to make sure it's not dirty.

If nothing improves you'll need to exchange it.

dekrusnik

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks chevrofreak. They are brand new but alkalines. Will try your suggestion.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
First of all, don't pay attention to nsx88, he's posted two posts so far, apparently just to bash Fenix products. Fenix makes good stuff, and we'll se eyou through this.
It sounds like you're stuck in low mode, which can happen when the light isn't getting enough power. Have you tried more than one set of alkaline batteries?
Holding the light pointed away from you, twisting the head counter-clockwise will give you high power. If you twist gently that way until it stops and you don't have high at that point there's something that needs to be corrected with the light, either cleaning, adjustment or possibly something you'll have to send it back to the vendor for. Ther are other poeple who can better explain how to clean an L2T. Hopefully one of them will jump in.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to tighten the head on mine down pretty snug to get high. I normally just leave mine in high. Love the light!

xiaowenzu

Banned
Sorry, an off topic sorta post guys.. so where are Fenix products made in and what company country is it from ? I've only ever bought a Maglite 6D, Surefire U2, and Photon Freedom, so you could say I'm a babyholic. lol :))

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've bought 2 L2Ts, and one of them does need to be screwed on very tightly to go into high mode. Not sure why - although it looks like there's a bid of HA-III anodizing on the top of the body bezel (above the screw threads). Haven't tried to fix it, as it doesn't really bother me - the light is steady and flicker-free once it's in high - it just needs a good crank to get there.

After cleaning the threads and the contact rings on the circuit board in the head, try lubricating the o-ring if it seems to need it. I've bought about 8 or so Fenix's over the years, and some of them were a little stingy on the lube (less so recently). If that doesn't do it, you may need to exchange it for a replacement, unless anyone else has a potential fix for this problem.

It's a nice light, I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get past this problem.

Latest posts