Just an Oddball U2...

grnamin

Enlightened
I did it! I chanced upon Duracoat by Lauer Weaponry and decided that I just had to Duracoat my U2. :D

orig.jpg

Everything works fine. I disassembled the U2, masked the threads, then partially reassembled it so that I could paint it as one unit. I painted the selector ring separately. Here's a picture of my "spray booth": :D

orig.jpg

grnamin

Enlightened
nekomane said:
Nice U2 popsicle :eek:oo:

Ditto.
Did you strip the anno before you coated it?

edit: here's some info....... lauerweaponry.com

Nope, didn't strip it. The site's FAQ stated that the coating likes anodizing because it has a base to grab onto. The kit I got came with a spray degreaser. That's all I applied prior to painting.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for you reply grnamin.
Seing that this particular light has already found it's way into your sigline, you must like it a lot ;)

Gotta try this myself some time.

xiaowenzu

Banned
That's so cool man! :) I would do that too, but I'm not sure if it's harder than HA-III?! coz I don't want it to wear off quicker!:popcorn:

Moe

Newly Enlightened
How tough is that coating? Does it work on Steel too?
How thick is the layer applied?

Looks very interesting! :)

grnamin

Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
That's so cool man! :) I would do that too, but I'm not sure if it's harder than HA-III?! coz I don't want it to wear off quicker!:popcorn:

Xiaowenzu, the coating is used on firearms so I'm pretty confident that it will be wear-resistant. I'm not sure if it will be as wear-resistant as HA III, but the major advantage it has over HA III is that when it does wear out, I can retouch it myself as opposed to having to send it to a shop. :)

Moe said:
How tough is that coating? Does it work on Steel too?
How thick is the layer applied?

Looks very interesting! :)

The coating is pretty tough and it works on steel, plastic, aluminum, wood, etc. Please check out the Lauerweaponry.com FAQ. All my questions were answered there. :)

When I first came across Duracoat, I thought to myself that I wouldn't be able to apply it myself because I would have to purchase a spray gun, compressors and other equipment. Upon perusing the Lauerweaponry.com site, I found that they have complete kits available. You can do everything yourself. All you need to supply is a sense of adventure. :D

Last edited:

Luna

Enlightened
Greg,
I notice you have quite a gap between the can/reflector. Is that really where you have yours set for optimal focus?

grnamin

Enlightened
Luna said:
Greg,
I notice you have quite a gap between the can/reflector. Is that really where you have yours set for optimal focus?

Luna, sharp eye! :thumbsup: Yep, I shimmed it with an extra o-ring to remove the donut. :D

grnamin

Enlightened
Note for anyone who wants to try this out: Don't mix the coating and hardener in a disposable plastic drinking cup. The mixture will desolve the cup. :D

grnamin

Enlightened
BigHonu said:
Good job!

Do you find the finish to be more or less slick than the anno?

The manufacturer claims that the coating isn't meant to have lubricating properties like Teflon, but it does feel a little bit slicker than the anno.

Bogie

Enlightened
I does take about a month to fully cure tho, then it is verry tough I have a number of rifles done

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Greg,

Amazing work! Thanks for sharing it and Congratulations on owning such a unique light!

All My Best,
John

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for posting your efforts! I'm considering trying this out on some of my bare aluminum lights.

grnamin

Enlightened
Miracle,
Sorry, but I can only guess at what the warranty issues might be. Maybe altering just the appearance of the U2 won't void the warranty with respect to its function. That's just a guess. I'd have to discuss it with Surefire. I wouldn't have done this mod if I wasn't willing to fully void the warranty. :)